Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2003
I'm a bit annoyed by that 2nd half if I'm honest, a bit more professionalism would've been nice instead of looking like they didn't care.

Palladino played pretty well and Chiellini's goal was great, a super strike.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Don slams negative media

Roberto Donadoni may have won Group B, but he criticised the Italian media for focusing on the negative.

“I saw a great choreography and participation from the fans today,” he said of the 3-1 win over the Faroe Islands at the Stadio Braglia.

“Modena is a wonderful city and we’re glad we could share this fine end to our qualifying campaign with them tonight.”

The Azzurri were under a lot of pressure going into the last two games, but picked up victories over Scotland and the Faroes to secure the top of their group.

However, even France boss Raymond Domenech said it was “abhorrent” that Italy were not in the seeds for the Euro 2008 finals draw.

“The controversy is entirely sterile and pointless. We will see how the draw goes and then evaluate the situation, but this is the state of affairs so discussing it will make no difference,” insisted Donadoni.

The headlines have also been dominated by questions over whether he will pen a new contract before the tournament in Austria and Switzerland.

“The contract is again a futile debate. I was asked a question about this and I answered in a civil fashion, but this is not an issue I want to think about right now.

“It’s not important to me and therefore shouldn’t be important to the journalists either.”

Chiellini enjoys Azzurri opener

Giorgio Chiellini was overjoyed at his debut goal for Italy and intends to earn his place at Juventus and Euro 2008.

“I am very happy as I don’t often get to hit the back of the net. My first goal for the Nazionale is such a special moment that will remain with me forever.”

His first half thunderbolt contributed to Italy’s 3-1 win over the Faroe Islands, ensuring they beat France to the top of Group B.

“I am certainly aiming for a place at Euro 2008. Things are going well with Juventus and I know I have to keep working hard with them to achieve it. It would be foolish to sit back now.”

Chiellini started his career as a full-back or occasionally wide midfielder, but he is rediscovered as a central defender, including in this match.

“I really like playing in the centre and hope to continue improving in this role. Of course if the Coach needs me then I can play on the flank, but I’d like to work at it and do even better in this position.”

The former Under-21 international still has some things to figure out, though, by his own admission.

“I already noticed at the start of my career that I need to improve in composure. I sometimes give the ball away a bit too much because we’re under pressure, but I know I need to work on that.”

Chiellini’s final comment was about the crowd trouble that had halted several Serie A games last week.

“I hope everyone has learned their lesson and that the usual things don’t happen again. In these weeks football came together to try to fix some problems and we need to do our part on the field to set a good example.”

Toni's perfect homecoming

Luca Toni admits he was particularly happy to score in his hometown stadium for his fifth goal in qualifying.

“I really wanted to do well here. It wasn’t easy to play as they were all clammed up in their own half, but we made it,” grinned the Modena native.

The 3-1 victory over the Faroe Islands at the Stadio Alberto Braglia secured top spot in Group B ahead of France and was Toni’s second in as many games.

The move to Bayern Munich has not dulled his scoring record, as the former Palermo and Fiorentina hitman continues to lead the line for the Azzurri.

“I think I’m doing well in Germany, but I did pretty well in Italy too! I don’t see too much of a difference in the way I perform at club and international level.

“In Italy there is more work on the tactical level, but in terms of physical preparation I’d say Germany and Italy are much the same now.”

channel 4

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
What a goal from Giorgio, i almost broke the table in front of me when he scored that goal!!!!!!

If his name isnt on the list going to Austria/Switzerland, Donadoni should be sacked on the spot :p

GRANDDDDDEEEEEEEEEE GIORGIO!!!!

Sep 26, 2007
I wish Chiellini scored more goals like that, and this for Juve. :toast:
:agree:

Today was a great day for the Azzurri. The only thing that I wish would happen would be that Doni would just shut up about his negative press. I still don't want him as our coach. Its not his tactics that has brought us to the top of our group; its the passion of our players.

At least we aren't England :shifty:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Borriello Not Interested In Azzurri's Call-up...Yet

Genoa striker Marco Borriello has done extremely well in this early part of the season, scoring 6 goals for his side and impressing with his performances in Serie A.

Borriello could end up being called up by Coach Roberto Donadoni in the upcoming months, thanks to the performances and goals scored with the Grifoni this season, but the player is not interested about it so far.

"I did little to deserve it," declared the former Milan player. "If I will continue like this, I will be the first one to claim it, but for the time being I must think about confirming myself.

"After the break I have a great desire to return on the pitch and score goals to help my team win points," he continued. "I hope I can continue already from Saturday."

Genoa will be facing Roma this weekend in what will be a very difficult game for the Rossoblu.

"It will be a great game which promises a lot of goals. Usually against stronger teams we express ourselves well and, in some occasions, we went close, but we lacked a bit of experience."

Palladino Happy About Azzurri's Debut

Juventus forward Raffaele Palladino played his first match for the Italian national team on Wednesday evening at Modena against Faeroe Islands in a game which ended 3-1 for the home team.

Palladino expressed all of his joy for making his debut with the Azzurri's shirt on Wednesday in the final European Championship qualifying game.

"I'm very happy, I did not expect it," declared the young Juventus player. "It was already a lot being here with the group which did so well at the World Cup and in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

"When the coach (Roberto Donadoni) told me that I would start from the first minute, it gave me a particular effect," he continued.

"I work day after day to improve and reach always important objectives. One of these is to win a place at Juventus and then consequently the national team."

Palladino played down the possible rivalry that might exist with Alessandro Del Piero.

"He's not my rival, but a team-mate who gives me a lot. He's a great champion who can still give a lot to Juventus and the national team."

Abete Hints At New Donadoni Contract

Italian Football Federation President Giancarlo Abete says there is no need to rush a new contract offer for Coach Roberto Donadoni but hints that some form of agreement is likely to be reached before Euro 2008.

Donadoni's current deal only runs until the end of next summer's finals in Austria and Switzerland but following a successfull qualification campaign he is likely to be offered an extension.

The ex-Livorno tactician had seemed to be on the verge of the sack following a disastrous start to his reign, which included a 1-1 draw at home to Lithuania and a 3-1 defeat to France in Paris. However Donadoni has turned things around, winning nine of his next 10 qualifiers as Italy finished three points clear of France at the top of Group B.

“Our plan is to go a long way with Donadoni,” Abete declared. “But there is no rush to work out a new deal.

“We will clarify the situation before Euro 2008. Everyone knows that you don’t go to a tournament with an unclear relationship with the Coach.”

The draw for Euro 2008 takes place this Sunday and there has been controversy after Italy were only seeded in the second pot, thus opening the way for another 'Group of Death'.

"We aren’t complaining,” Abete claimed. “We knew the rules beforehand and not being in the top bracket could be good because teams like Austria, Switzerland and Greece will be.”

goal.com

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
I really dont like seeing De Rossi wearing the no.10 jersey,i mean De Rossi is a great player and all,but i just think the no.10 should be worn by a more attacking player..Im hoping for Rosina,or Seba for the future Azzurri no.10

Check out Vinnie's Smile,huheueeh,and Palla looks so tense,but he played a great match last night..

Forza Azzurri!!

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
i like de rossi having #10. in the azzurri, #10 is usually reserved for special players, like dp, totti, and i think de rossi deserves it. giovinco could get dp's #7 if he wants. i just hope that de rossi is starting for italy in ambrosini's place by the time Euro comes around. ambrosini will probably be injured by then anyhow.

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Today was a great day for the Azzurri. The only thing that I wish would happen would be that Doni would just shut up about his negative press. I still don't want him as our coach. Its not his tactics that has brought us to the top of our group; its the passion of our players.
:agree:
I hope a good coach becomes available, and soon. I just don't think Italy are going to go anywhere with him.

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #2,139
    i agree with what was earlier stated. Despite winning the group donadoni needs to go. The azzurri's passion was what led them to win the group not crapadoni's horrendous lack of tactics.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    donadoni got them through one of the tougher groups in the qualifers, so he at least deserves the chance to coach the azzurri at euro 2008...............

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)