Offensive problems (2 Viewers)

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
A fukin god, jesus christ we gave the man enougfh respect by letting him walkonto the first team and the azzurri regardless of form and I might not of spelt azzuri right but it doesnt mean my words any less true.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
miccoli is a blow but zlatan has great creative skills and offers height as well and is able to keep the ball up. olivera can play in dp position as can zlatan. kapo can as well. always revert to zlatan upfront by himself with nedved, kapo and olivera playing off him.

its obvious that zalayeta is the weak point though.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Of course the problem isn't so much an offensive problem (that's more like Sampdoria for the last month of last season), but rather a problem of depth on offense.

There are a couple of ways to measure that. One is in the quality of the players in the depth chart. Another is in the sheer number of players. Knowing DP's and Trez's -- and Zlatan's, for that matter -- tendency to get injured, it's probably worth seeing how Zalayeta stacks up to other Serie A teams last year when it comes to 4th in the offensive depth chart (based on pitch minutes):

Milan: Marco Borriello (!)
Roma: Montella
Inter: Obafemi Martins
Parma: Carbone
Lazio: Muzzi

So we don't look that shabby with Zalayeta.

But then you consider some of the top CL competition:

Arsenal: Wiltord
Chelsea: Crespo (way too much money here!)
ManU: Diego Forlan (accounting for injuries)
Valencia: Ricardo Olivera
Barca: Quaresma
Real Madrid: would you believe Morientes at 5 minutes in all of 2003-4?

and we start looking a little shortchanged, except for Real Madrid. But Real Madrid doesn't have a bench -- so they should be discounted. :rolleyes:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Padovano ] ++
Actually, my Lebanese friend, I DO like it. Del Piero is the Bianconero god and he will prove it this year. Forza Alex!
Thx mate... u know , i wish all the fans can be like you :p:p

OP
Vinman

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #86
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
    Here is what we can expect to happen this year-

DP and Trez will no doubt get injured, and most likely, it will be at around the same time (with our luck!!)

This will leave Zlatan and Zalayeta to be our starters. I have little faith in Zalayeta, and could see our offense produce few goals.

We have no 5th striker, so getting rid of Miccoli really makes no sense to me......................
    Am I a psychic, or what. I predicted this a month ago, and it happened !!!

Zlatan has shown me nothing so far, but over-possession, and Zala is not the answer.....

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by 44BigBert ] ++

i am worried that we can't score !!!

capello must teach zlatan how to play in Italy, i'll wait and see !!!
    It's not like Juve's forwards scored in our first two games! Just add a couple more midfielders ;)

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003

Am I a psychic, or what. I predicted this a month ago, and it happened !!!

Zlatan has shown me nothing so far, but over-possession, and Zala is not the answer.....
    Not that I didn't come up with the same theory as you did at the same time, but you surely posted first -- and were the first person I thought of with Trez's latest news.

The good news is that it's a couple weeks before Messina. The bad news is that we're near entering what's probably the hardest 5-match span of the season.

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
    well, we can expect probably a lot of 1-0 games for us while our forwards are injured. Anyway, we can see the midfield chipping in the goals, NEDVED !!!

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by 44BigBert ] ++

i am worried that we can't score !!!

capello must teach zlatan how to play in Italy, i'll wait and see !!!
    "Zlatan Ibrahimovic tends to hold on to the ball for too long, so we have to try and teach him when is the right time to let go.”

Capello after the Udinese match

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
    Capello is off course right, if you keep the ball to long in Serie A when youre a striker, then you suddently has 2-3 defenders at you. Thats why it is hard to be a striker in Italy and why the best strikers in Italy is the best in the world.

Zlatan has a lot of potential, but as Capello has said many times he needs to learn to play in Italy, and it takes time.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Here is what we can expect to happen this year-

DP and Trez will no doubt get injured, and most likely, it will be at around the same time (with our luck!!)

This will leave Zlatan and Zalayeta to be our starters. I have little faith in Zalayeta, and could see our offense produce few goals.

We have no 5th striker, so getting rid of Miccoli really makes no sense to me......................
    You must be psychic or our front line players are predictable as you are about to get your question answered, luckily there is an international break as it might have meant going a whole 2 weeks of CL and league games with Zlatan and Zalayeta as the only fit strikers

OP
    Vinman

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #99
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Not that I didn't come up with the same theory as you did at the same time, but you surely posted first -- and were the first person I thought of with Trez's latest news.

The good news is that it's a couple weeks before Messina. The bad news is that we're near entering what's probably the hardest 5-match span of the season.
    Its nice to know that I'm thought of under depressing circumstances !!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)