Nick Against the World (35 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Awesome work by Da Bears today.

But as far as I am concerned, the NFL season officially ended today. I frigging hate the Super Bowl with unadulterated passion. Like a bible-thumping fundamentalist Christian in the middle of a cash-register-churning Christmas sale at the Great Mall of America, the SB perverts the value of the sport in the same way the commercialization of Christmas subverts the holiday of any religious meaning.

The Super Bowl is an atrocity and should stand trial for crimes committed against sport. :(

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
There are many mountains that range's through Central Lebanon... (Faraya, Cedars, Faqra, Zaarour etc) There are at least five skiing resorts in Lebanon.

There is also enough space on the slopes just around Faraya to build a mega-ski area like those of the Alps or Colorado. You probably wouldn't get to know what I'm talking about unless you experience It, Andy. It's really something worthy.

Not to also mention that the Sea is less than 20min away from you...You can it while skiin. I don't think you ever get to see this other than Leb.

Here are also some pictures I got of skiing in Lebanon, you might wanna see them.
Looks like a rather beautiful place. The fact you can see the sea from the top of a ski resort would probably be major drawing point as is, much like some of the resorts in Chile. In my opinion, nothing beats cascading mountains as the backdrop to the sea... throw in a cosmopolitan city such as Caracas, Rio de Janiero, Athens or Naples within the mountains and you have quite a wonder. That such drastic change in elevation between sea level and thousands of feet is really pleasing to a geologist's eye, and also to a meteorologist's for that matter.

A vacation in Lebanon, you would enjoy much more than just skiing, trust me on that. Top-notch skiing I am not sure about though :p
Vacationing in Lebanon would be a dream. I'm just hoping Nasrallah's homies are not alerted to my presence... not even my team Hezbollah shirt would be able to save me then. :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Awesome work by Da Bears today.

But as far as I am concerned, the NFL season officially ended today. I frigging hate the Super Bowl with unadulterated passion. Like a bible-thumping fundamentalist Christian in the middle of a cash-register-churning Christmas sale at the Great Mall of America, the SB perverts the value of the sport in the same way the commercialization of Christmas subverts the holiday of any religious meaning.

The Super Bowl is an atrocity and should stand trial for crimes committed against sport. :(
Yeah, tell me about it. The Super Bowl is bascially a freak show which reminds me of some barbaric event seen from the Bronze Age. It makes us look like a bunch of animals running around blowing things up and feeding each other to packs of wolves.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Multiple choice is a cakewalk, half the questions in the 2nd half answer those in the first half for you. If you have no idea as to what the question is about, you can typically narrow it down to 1 or 2 possibilities anyways.

Essay questions are significantly harder, but on history you can always throw in some really general themes and bullshit your way into getting an 80 or so

That is, of course, without factoring in the assumption that european uni's are much tougher than american high schools :D
I hate multiple choice exams, they are always freakishly difficult at my university. For example:

Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights speaks of the Right to Life.

A) Correct, but the Right to Life is limited. Capital Punishment is such a limiting factor, being indirectly allowed for as the UN recognises different national values and juridical systems in the Statute of Rome.

B) Correct, but it needs to be highlighted the Right to Life does not conflict with Capital Punishment and similar acts of legal and juridical nature leading to the death of a person because the nature of the declaration concerns the category of Guiding Treaties meaning it does not possess any binding authority.

C) Correct, this right is universally recognised and was intended to urge the nations of the world to abolish the death penalty which, under this article, is officially illegal.

D) Incorrect, article 3 speaks of the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

E) Incorrect, the Right to Life as such does not possess individual status as a right in the Universal Declaration of Human rights and is inextricably bound to the Rights of Liberty and Security of Person, making it incorrect to mention it separately which would allow for erroneous interpretation of the declaration.
Each MC test I've ever taken also had a minimum of 50 such questions, usually edging more towards 100 :sad:

Here are the loopholes to the above question if you're interested:

A) Capital Punishment is indeed a limiting factor of the Right to Life and has not been included in categories such as Crimes Against Humanity which means one could argue the UN does indeed allow for the death penalty to exist through legal channels. However, the Statute of Rome concerns the foundation of the International Court of Justice which may be a UN body but does not qualify to represent the UN as a whole. The Statute of Rome specifies crimes against humanity, genocide, etc and ignores the death penalty which could indicate the UN allows it or it would have been mentioned, however, can it be interpreted as a fundamental conviction or was it simply an irrelevant topic in the establishment of the court?

B) The Universal Declaration of Human Rights does, indeed, not possess any binding authority. As is pointed out in the introduction:
Following this historic act the Assembly called upon all Member countries to publicize the text of the Declaration and "to cause it to be disseminated, displayed, read and expounded principally in schools and other educational institutions, without distinction based on the political status of countries or territories."
Its essence is clearly of a guiding, advisory, nature. Unofficially, this category can be referred to as Guidance Treaties or similar terms. But that is unofficially. B appears to be the correct answer, but I would at all times refrain from using unofficial terms in official documents, exams included.

C) The article could indeed be interpreted as a form of stimulation towards the abolishing of the death penalty. The European Court of Human Rights, for example, uses similar language to abolish capital punishment altogether. However, a non-binding treaty is unlikely to make anything illegal, UNLESS a certain nation adopts the declaration in its national legal system which, obviously, means the death penalty could be banned straight away. But to my knowledge, that hasn't happened anywhere in the world. Yet. Of course that doesn't mean it can't or won't.

D) The right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law is described in Article 6. Needless to say it takes some very exact and precise studying to remember that.

E) The Rights of Liberty and Security of Person are indeed mentioned in the same article together with the Right to Life, but I would say that doesn't mean they are legally bound together. It's merely a form of categorisation. Or is it?
After all, the Right to Liberty and to a lesser extent, the Righ to Security of Person can be limited by national jurisdiction in case of committed crimes. If you steal, you go to jail, which ends your liberty. Does that mean the Right to Life can be terminated as well? If you murder, you are executed? Does that mean that, by categorising this way, the UN allows for Capital Punishment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)