Nick Against the World (149 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
So how were they? We have the annoying habit of doing them in January. Not that there really is another way though, as the year only starts in October.
Yeah, I never understood why people such as yourself and Fabiana had to deal with the same semester after the New Year. It does not make much sense to me considering in theory you'd have such a long break and there is no reason to start class so late into the Fall.

My finals were rather difficult, however I was not expecting anything less. What I absolutely detest about finals at Penn State is that they merge everything together in the final week, and that includes learning new material for the final itself. So for instance, I found myself having to neglect a topic such as areas of polar curves because I had to focus on reviewing the other material we gathered throughout the semester for final. And of course, opposed to the word of my professor, I had to deal with drawing polar coordinates and finding the area in between the graphs for my final earlier, which of course I couldnt study because I was too consumed with studying for physics yesterday.

The system in America is in some ways highly ridiculous and inefficient... how are students supposed to study for five finals within a week to pass classes such as calc 2 and physics 2 while dealing with environmental economics and business law.

But then again, my education at a highly expensive private high school was probably not worth the cash, so no wonder I'm somewhat behind in the science department. Guess it depends on what you're used to throughout the years.

Sergio, stick around this time, please?

Max

Jul 15, 2003
I just wrote my final "final" today...wow, I'm so happy they're over. I've already seen some of my marks come back this evening/morning, and it's not too much of a change from high school. Mind you, I haven't seen my Biology or Anatomy marks yet. :tdown:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I haven't seen my final Calculus 2 grade either, and I'm rather frightened to what I will see. I'll be happy with a C grade, that's for sure. Meteorological dynamics look easy to me compared to this shit, at least for me, that is.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
I haven't seen my final Calculus 2 grade either, and I'm rather frightened to what I will see. I'll be happy with a C grade, that's for sure. Meteorological dynamics look easy to me compared to this shit, at least for me, that is.
You guys do letters instead of numbers? We have letters, but then we have a number scale from 1 to 12. I got an 11 (A) in Psychomotor Behaviour course, but I got somewhere around an 8 (B) in Calculus. I'll be happy with a B in Biology and Anatomy. God, I'm hoping for a B. I want to enjoy my Christmas, which, if I may add, doesn't feel like Christmas.

Fuck Andy, can't you do something about this shit weather? We've got 10 Celcius temperatures, which is around 50-55 F I believe. No White Christmas here. I'd imagine it's the same in Pennsylvania or wherever you are now. Unless you're in Michigan...then it's probably around 0 C.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
You guys do letters instead of numbers? We have letters, but then we have a number scale from 1 to 12. I got an 11 (A) in Psychomotor Behaviour course, but I got somewhere around an 8 (B) in Calculus. I'll be happy with a B in Biology and Anatomy. God, I'm hoping for a B. I want to enjoy my Christmas, which, if I may add, doesn't feel like Christmas.

Fuck Andy, can't you do something about this shit weather? We've got 10 Celcius temperatures, which is around 50-55 F I believe. No White Christmas here. I'd imagine it's the same in Pennsylvania or wherever you are now. Unless you're in Michigan...then it's probably around 0 C.
Unfortunately we seem to be in a period of El Nino weather patterns due to the warming of the central pacific ocean, so it seems like we'll be stuck with above normal temperatures until late January. Looking at the long-term forecasts, perhaps we'll have to deal with a rough shot of winter towards February, which I would not mind at all. If some rogue high pressure could somehow find a stationary pattern over your area, we could see a change in that forecast regarding an influx of much colder temps from the artic region, but it doesn't seem likely. El Nino pisses me off.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Unfortunately we seem to be in a period of El Nino weather patterns due to the warming of the central pacific ocean, so it seems like we'll be stuck with above normal temperatures until late January. Looking at the long-term forecasts, perhaps we'll have to deal with a rough shot of winter towards February, which I would not mind at all. If some rogue high pressure could somehow find a stationary pattern over your area, we could see a change in that forecast regarding an influx of much colder temps from the artic region, but it doesn't seem likely. El Nino pisses me off.
Try living in Northern Europe: reports keep pouring in of terrified villagers reporting polar bear invasions. The poor animals can't migrate back to the North pole because the high temperatures keep the ice shelves too far away from the European shorelines.

Unfair, we should have the penguins instead

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Yeah, I never understood why people such as yourself and Fabiana had to deal with the same semester after the New Year. It does not make much sense to me considering in theory you'd have such a long break and there is no reason to start class so late into the Fall.
++

I totally agree. Back in Norway I always had exams in December. I don't see the point of a 5-6 month semester running past new year, that's just a really bad way to spend the holidays.

My finals were rather difficult, however I was not expecting anything less. What I absolutely detest about finals at Penn State is that they merge everything together in the final week, and that includes learning new material for the final itself. So for instance, I found myself having to neglect a topic such as areas of polar curves because I had to focus on reviewing the other material we gathered throughout the semester for final. And of course, opposed to the word of my professor, I had to deal with drawing polar coordinates and finding the area in between the graphs for my final earlier, which of course I couldnt study because I was too consumed with studying for physics yesterday.
That's good to hear (in a sense), cause I've almost always felt like school was organized in an idiotic way (except for the IB, which is highly structured) and undercut your best efforts.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Try living in Northern Europe: reports keep pouring in of terrified villagers reporting polar bear invasions. The poor animals can't migrate back to the North pole because the high temperatures keep the ice shelves too far away from the European shorelines.

Unfair, we should have the penguins instead
You think those polar bears could postpone my exams?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
PARIS, FRANCE - French soldiers in Afghanistan have repeatedly had the opportunity to shoot Osama Bin Laden but were specifically requested by American commanders to refrain from pulling the trigger.

According to a French documentary, the soldiers (sharp shooters) first spotted Bin Laden in 2003 and then again six months later, in 2004. The four French soldiers, all part of a special anti-terror unit, claim to have had the opportunity to assasinate Bin Laden 'at two different locations at two different points in time' but were requested by American commanders to leave him be.

The documentary 'Bin Laden: a failed hunt' will be broadcast in March on the French channel Planete.

Source: De Volkskrant

------------------------

:lol2:

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
Well Erik, we Americans *wink* are a civilized bunch. We can't just go around shooting people we find disagreeable. Look at the leadership in Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, France and Germany -- we haven't tried to kill any of those guys in a while, so why should this Bin Laden guy jump the line?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Well Erik, we Americans *wink* are a civilized bunch. We can't just go around shooting people we find disagreeable. Look at the leadership in Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, France and Germany -- we haven't tried to kill any of those guys in a while, so why should this Bin Laden guy jump the line?
You can take out Chirac any time you like as far as I'm concerned.

Speaking of American leadership, check this out (if you're interested in politics at all):

my article

Sep 28, 2002
stop global warming! :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
El Niño pisses me off too, but I'm thinking of the midget El Salvadoran tranny down on Mission St. who always pushes me out of the way to get on the 14 bus.

Why do I have this image of Dick Cheney as a James Bond Supervillian saying, "Bring him to me!" -- making sure he comes back alive so he can take him out quail hunting??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 149)