Next years CL seeding (1 Viewer)

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Guys i have a question....We know that countries like spain, england and italy have 4 spots in champions league, can this number change or is it fixed? I mean recently english clubs were doing bitter than both spain and italy (i mean number of teams reaching semi's and final) so will they have bigger number of clubs in europe (like 5-6 clubs maybe in future) and both italy and spain have lesser like 3 clubs maybe?!!!

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Guys i have a question....We know that countries like spain, england and italy have 4 spots in champions league, can this number change or is it fixed? I mean recently english clubs were doing bitter than both spain and italy (i mean number of teams reaching semi's and final) so will they have bigger number of clubs in europe (like 5-6 clubs maybe in future) and both italy and spain have lesser like 3 clubs maybe?!!!
I don't think they can have more than 4 spots, but If Italy keeps the performance this way (like this year), Italy can lose the 4th spot, and maybe other country can have 3 spots instead of 2, or 2 instead of 1.

These are being calculated by the last 5 or 6 years' performances of each country, they make a standing, and spread the spots that way. But I think top 3 will always have 4 teams in CL, I don't think they will change that (by giving the top 2 or top Country 5 seeds).

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I didn't know they're calculated last 5 or 6years. Interesting I must say. But If thats the case I doubt Italy will be reduced into three. Considering the final that we had with Ac Milan 2003 and considering The Three Finals made by Ac Milan.

Anyway, It also depends on the likes of Inter and Roma. But yea, everything is possible.

tibike

Dec 11, 2007
I don't think they can have more than 4 spots, but If Italy keeps the performance this way (like this year), Italy can lose the 4th spot, and maybe other country can have 3 spots instead of 2, or 2 instead of 1.

These are being calculated by the last 5 or 6 years' performances of each country, they make a standing, and spread the spots that way. But I think top 3 will always have 4 teams in CL, I don't think they will change that (by giving the top 2 or top Country 5 seeds).
It's highly unlikely that any country will get 5 spots, as Platini is aiming to decrease the number of teams from the big leagues in order to help the weaker ones.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
It's highly unlikely that any country will get 5 spots, as Platini is aiming to decrease the number of teams from the big leagues in order to help the weaker ones.
I don't like Platini's idea TBH. It's well known that Serie A, La Liga and EPL are the leagues that attracts the biggest talents around the world. So It wouldn't really make sense to decrease it and give countries like Romania or Hungary the chance to have TWO teams.

tibike

Dec 11, 2007
I don't like Platini's idea TBH. It's well known that Serie A, La Liga and EPL are the leagues that attracts the biggest talents around the world. So It wouldn't really make sense to decrease it and give countries like Romania or Hungary the chance to have TWO teams.
Well, I think his idea was, that more leagues were guaranteed 1 place in CL, rather than increasing the total number (i.e. Romania would be guaranteed a spot in the CL groups, rather than being sent into the qualifying rounds).

As for the idea itself, I'm still undecided on the issue. If Platini really does reach the goals he has set (improving the quality of football in "weaker" countries), than it's great, as that would lead to a more competitive CL and more competitive leagues in general. I just don't see a way to achieve them.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Well, I think his idea was, that more leagues were guaranteed 1 place in CL, rather than increasing the total number (i.e. Romania would be guaranteed a spot in the CL groups, rather than being sent into the qualifying rounds).

As for the idea itself, I'm still undecided on the issue. If Platini really does reach the goals he has set (improving the quality of football in "weaker" countries), than it's great, as that would lead to a more competitive CL and more competitive leagues in general. I just don't see a way to achieve them.
This year has changed....I don't know If It has to do with Platini. But for example in Romania, last year whoever was finishing 1st place needed to play qualifying matches to qualify to the CL....this year they qualify directly without any CL qualifying matches, while the 2nd place has to play.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I agree it is ridiculous. Although it seems unfair to not give the little teams a chance I watch the Champions league for games like Bayern vs. Chelsea or Juve vs. Madrid not Shaktar vs. Rosenborg. The Champions league is supposed to be about the biggest clubs in the world I don't want it changed.

tibike

Dec 11, 2007
This year has changed....I don't know If It has to do with Platini. But for example in Romania, last year whoever was finishing 1st place needed to play qualifying matches to qualify to the CL....this year they qualify directly without any CL qualifying matches, while the 2nd place has to play.
I don't think any change was implemented yet, so Romania had to qualify, because their teams didn't fare well in the CL and/or UEFA Cup. I think Platini hasn't started changing the model yet, but he made it clear that he wants to do so at some point.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Nothing has changed so far, Romania made a lot of points lately in UEFA cup, therefore they were granted an extra position in CL, so far they only had the rights to send team in qualifiers, now they can send one directly and one in qualifiers.
The system calculates all the points gathered by all the clubs of a nation, but this works both ways, when a country like Italy has many teams, they should all advance making a decent campaign, otherwise they fall back and i think defeats act as negative points, the system allows rising football powers (country wise) to erupt easier...

Platini's system wont work, the big teams wont allow it!!
Those clubs would serve their interests first and if they are not respected, they might go on and form their own CL.
The G14 (Juventus was a part of it) may have been dissolved, but firstly they made some deals with Platini, and got certain that their interests wont be hurt!

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
a win in an uefa cup match is worth as much points as a win in a CL match in the Uefa country coeffiecients.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/ccoef2008.html
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2008.html
Of course, that's why countries like Romania and Russia are placed so high.

For the discussion above, France will lose way too many points for next year standings because their most successfull season (2003/04) won't be counted next year and Italians have a top3 spot guaranteed for at least 2 more seasons.

As for Juve and the CL seedings, we still have a small chance to find ourselves in pot 2 but Milan and Sevilla failing to qualify for next season's CL is a must and one of the teams above us in the standings must lose in the CL qualifications.

Here are the standings (there won't be anymore changes, no matter how will Chelsea-Man Utd finish) :
1. Chelsea 123.914
2 . AC Milan 119.934
3. Liverpool 118.914
4. FC Barcelona 117.837
5. Arsenal 110.914
6. Manchester United 106.914
7. Sevilla 102.837
8. Olympique Lyon 99.380
9 . Internazionale 96.934
10. Real Madrid 93.837
11. Bayern München 92.078
12. PSV Eindhoven 91.610
13. Villarreal 90.837

14. Newcastle United 84.914
15. Valencia 83.837
16. AS Roma 81.934
17. FC Porto 81.176

18. Benfica 77.176
19. Werder Bremen 74.078
20. AZ Alkmaar 69.610
21. Sporting CP Lisbon 67.176
22. Schalke 04 67.078
23. Juventus 66.934

Teams in BLUE won't play CL for sure
Teams in GREEN will go directly to the group stages
Teams in RED will play CL qualifications.
Milan's and Sevilla's CL participance is pending.

Like i said, in order to find ourselves in pot 2 we must hope that both Milan and Sevilla won't qualify for CL while at least one of Barcelona, Liverpool, Arsenal or Schalke will be eliminated in CLQ 3rd round.
And of course, Juve must eliminate their opponents in CLQ 3rd round.

As things stand right now we'll find ourselves in pot 3 and we'll miss the pot 2 for 1 single position.
At this moment this is how the pots will look :

Pot1: Chelsea, Liverpool, Barcelona, Arsenal, Manchester United, Lyon, Inter, Real Madrid
Pot2: Bayern, PSV Eindhoven, Villareal, Roma, Porto, Werder, Sporting, Schalke 04
Pot3: Juventus ...........................

As for our possible opponent in CL qualifications, we , of course, can't get the teams that are already in CL groups (Man Utd, Chelsea, Real, Villareal, Inter, Roma, Lyon, Bordaux, Bayern, Werder, Porto, Sporting, PSV, Zenit, Rangers/Celtic, Cluj )
We also can't get any of the 15 holders in the 3rd round of CLQ, which at theis moment are these 15 teams (Liverpool, Barcelona, Arsenal, Schalke, Rangers/Celtic, Marselle/Nancy, Steaua, Basel, Ajax (?), Olympiakos, Fenerbahce, Shakhtar Donetsk, Fiorentina, Spartak Moscow, Anderlecht)

Teams that we can play against in the CLQ 3rd round are : Atletico Madrid, Sparta Prague, Dinamo Kiev, AEK Athens, Slavia Prague, Galatasaray, Guimaraes, Standard and the champions of the minor leagues in Europe.
Of course, this is only in case nothing changes in the current league standings and there will be absolutely no surprises in the CLQ opening 2 rounds. Only 1 surprise is needed and Atletico Madrid will be holders in CLQ 3rd round and we won't play them.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Why do you have Arsenal in red? I heard that the third in England goes to the group stage directly the next season.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Why do you have Arsenal in red? I heard that the third in England goes to the group stage directly the next season.
Hmmm, if that's something that was decided in the last 3 weeks then Arsenal will go directly to CL.
But as far as i know, since this year's winner of the CL would have gone to the CL groups anyway, only 2 teams from one country can play directly in CL.
The situation with Milan last year was different because Milan weren't in top 2 in serie A.

I'll check

AshutoshJuve

Hi, Ashutosh Deshpande!
Mar 13, 2007
never in PLatini's lifetime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)