News that makes you say WTF! (37 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The obvious fact that a police officer is empowered by the state to enforce the law and is supposed to be trustworthy. The very least one can expect from such a person is that he does not commit crimes himself.

So is the murder committed by a police officer worse than a murder committed by a drugdealer? Yes, in many cases it is.

That you even ask the question is mindboggling tbh.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The obvious fact that a police officer is empowered by the state to enforce the law and is supposed to be trustworthy. The very least one can expect from such a person is that he does not commit crimes himself.

So is the murder committed by a police officer worse than a murder committed by a drugdealer? Yes, in many cases it is.

That you even ask the question is mindboggling tbh.
We don't know of the specifics in this case yet. I'm no fan of police brutality and the police state. But the basis of the BLM movement is inconsequential compared to other issues in the black community. It's intellectually dishonest to claim that all of the problems in the black community are due to policing issues or racism.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
We don't know of the specifics in this case yet. I'm no fan of police brutality and the police state. But the basis of the BLM movement is inconsequential compared to other issues in the black community. It's intellectually dishonest to claim that all of the problems in the black community are due to policing issues or racism.
Of course it is. But this whole countermovement saying police violence is not a big issue is weird as hell. One of the worst things that can happen to a state is crooked racist cops.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Cancer isn't an issue, because baby seals are clubbed to death.
And yet, if anyone comes up with White lives matter to protest the killing of unarmed white men, it will be labeled racist.

- - - Updated - - -

In 2016, around twice as many white men were killed. But blacks are around 13% of the population
Yeah, but compare it to the crime stats. If you're involved in a crime, having an unfortunate encounter with the police increases tremendously.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not to say that people aren't killed due to racism, just that racism isn't the main factor in these shootings.
Anyhow, the shoot to kill approach of the US police is doomed for failure, but I can't really blame them, given how easy it is for anyone to acquire firearms.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
And yet, if anyone comes up with White lives matter to protest the killing of unarmed white men, it will be labeled racist.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but compare it to the crime stats. If you're involved in a crime, having an unfortunate encounter with the police increases tremendously.
It's a circular debate. Anyway, black or white, it's a problem. A lot of these guys may be involved in crime, but are no immediate threat when they're killed

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

That's not to say that people aren't killed due to racism, just that racism isn't the main factor in these shootings.
Anyhow, the shoot to kill approach of the US police is doomed for failure, but I can't really blame them, given how easy it is for anyone to acquire firearms.
If people come up with a white lives matter hashtag it's not to protest the killing of white men, but to mock the blm movement. It's not necessarily racist, but let's not beat around the bush.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
In 2016, around twice as many white men were killed. But blacks are around 13% of the population
that 13% of the population also commits more than 60% of the violent crime so i dont think its a stretch to imagine that they are equally disproportionately likely to end up in violent encounters with the police and not just because of profiling

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
that 13% of the population also commits more than 60% of the violent crime so i dont think its a stretch to imagine that they are equally disproportionately likely to end up in violent encounters with the police and not just because of profiling
I'm talking about unarmed killings though, not violent encounters with police

Im

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
People are seriously retarded. If police shoots an aggressive dog, you can sure most people will go full retard on the police. But if they shoot an unarmed person, many will still blame the unarmed person.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Okay, so we accept the notion that there is no racism involved in those disproportionate killings (something I disagree with, but whatever) - it is still a huge problem that deescalation doesn't seem to be a thing valued anything by US-cops.

If cops come into minor cases with the mindset that the guy has a weapon and is trying to kill you that's a huge problem. No matter if the person involved is white, black, latino, whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

please only spectatular news

like 'Bavaria runs out of beer'

this is boring and doesnt make me say WTF
This has been a "General News Thread" for a while now, mostly because we lack a real "General News Thread".

Opening one would be the great idea actually, what do you guys think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 33)