News that makes you say WTF! (35 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Okay, so we accept the notion that there is no racism involved in those disproportionate killings (something I disagree with, but whatever) - it is still a huge problem that deescalation doesn't seem to be a thing valued anything by US-cops.

If cops come into minor cases with the mindset that the guy has a weapon and is trying to kill you that's a huge problem. No matter if the person involved is white, black, latino, whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

This has been a "General News Thread" for a while now, mostly because we lack a real "General News Thread".

Opening one would be the great idea actually, what do you guys think?
The US have very high homicide rates though. Being a US cop is in fact a lot more dangerous than being a Belgian or an Austrian cop. Surely part of that mindset is actually understandable.

Buy on AliExpress.com

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
The US have very high homicide rates though. Being a US cop is in fact a lot more dangerous than being a Belgian or an Austrian cop. Surely part of that mindset is actually understandable.
:agree: My friend is a housing cop in one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn, there's A LOT of hatred and tension on those streets.

That said, at the very least, training needs to go on for longer and be improved. I think it was only 6 months before they threw my friend out there to do actual police work. I'm no expert, but that seems way too short for me. Then you get things like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Akai_Gurley

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
:agree: My friend is a housing cop in one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn, there's A LOT of hatred and tension on those streets.

That said, at the very least, training needs to go on for longer and be improved. I think it was only 6 months before they threw my friend out there to do actual police work. I'm no expert, but that seems way too short for me. Then you get things like this:
In some places, training is a couple of weeks.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
It is, to an extent.

But that doesn't fully explain that last case discussed for example, if you look at the video - the police officers would have to be borderline paranoid to suspect any aggression from the guy there.

And of course a huge reason of why that mindset is partly understandable is the unprecedently widespread availability of firearms, but that's a different matter.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
You are either intellectually dishonest or extremely gullible for thinking that blm protests that.

that 13% of the population also commits more than 60% of the violent crime so i dont think its a stretch to imagine that they are equally disproportionately likely to end up in violent encounters with the police and not just because of profiling
There's some really interesting data (posted in the police shooting thread) suggesting that blacks are disproportionately profiled by the police even in non-violent encounters and even when they show complete compliance.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
please only spectatular news

like 'Bavaria runs out of beer'

this is boring and doesnt make me say WTF
Now yer talkin'...

People are seriously retarded. If police shoots an aggressive dog, you can sure most people will go full retard on the police. But if they shoot an unarmed person, many will still blame the unarmed person.
Only depending on the skin color of the unarmed person, the cop, and the person with the opinion. If all three match, it's the unarmed person at fault. If they don't all match, it's the person of a different race than the one with the opinion.

Cops can't be effective with some level of community involvement. That's what I don't understand. My brother couldn't do his job if he couldn't have regular conversations with Latinos and blacks on his beat.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
You are either intellectually dishonest or extremely gullible for thinking that blm protests that.

There's some really interesting data (posted in the police shooting thread) suggesting that blacks are disproportionately profiled by the police even in non-violent encounters and even when they show complete compliance.
Is the statistic in my last post still on your mind? Cause you can sure as fuck bet its on the mind of police officers, people who might actually be familiar with crime statistics in this country, when they encounter that 13% in situations where their own life and safety is on the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Now yer talkin'...

Only depending on the skin color of the unarmed person, the cop, and the person with the opinion. If all three match, it's the unarmed person at fault. If they don't all match, it's the person of a different race than the one with the opinion.

Cops can't be effective with some level of community involvement. That's what I don't understand. My brother couldn't do his job if he couldn't have regular conversations with Latinos and blacks on his beat.
A white police officer up here recently shot and killed an unarmed white man who was asking for help after a DUI accident. It was an execution, dash cam footage is INFINITELY more damning than any of the those that inspired BLM protests. Took months before charges were filed... You don't live that far from me, did you even hear about this?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
A white police officer up here recently shot and killed an unarmed white man who was asking for help after a DUI accident. It was an execution, dash cam footage is INFINITELY more damning than any of the those that inspired BLM protests. Took months before charges were filed... You don't live that far from me, did you even hear about this?
No ... Where was this? Contra Costa County somewhere?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)