News that makes you say WTF! (50 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Yup.

And tbh, it's not the most important aspect of an education system, proper funding, teaching methods & education for teachers make or break it.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Yup.

And tbh, it's not the most important aspect of an education system, proper funding, teaching methods & education for teachers make or break it.
and one of the most important things (imo) - general education.
something thats pretty much up to you, because you do get far from
enough of it at (whatever type of) school.

the books you read, the tv-programm u watch, the news you read...
thats a huge factor.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
From Hollywood movies and TV-shows I know that in college you attend a full spectrum of classes, from languages to sciences and history. And then at university you only get subjects related to your major.
Then that's incorrect. In the US you go to college. This could be a University or a College, depending on the name of the school. Then there is grad school which is masters and doctorate level.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Then that's incorrect. In the US you go to college. This could be a University or a College, depending on the name of the school. Then there is grad school which is masters and doctorate level.
But why did Meadow Soprano spend years "in college" before deciding whether she'll study medicine or law? :D Isn't it a sidestep by your definition? Why not just study Medicine right after high school?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
But why did Meadow Soprano spend years "in college" before deciding whether she'll study medicine or law? :D Isn't it a sidestep by your definition? Why not just study Medicine right after high school?
We call it Graduate School. For Masters and Doctoral studies. Like said. Law school and Med school fall into those categories. Also, many Colleges have Graduate Schools.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
We call it Graduate School. For Masters and Doctoral studies. Like said. Law school and Med school fall into those categories. Also, many Colleges have Graduate Schools.
If after College you can attend Grad Schools (For Master+Doctoral) does it mean that the College is called undergrad school and provides you the Bachelor Degree? Or don't you have Bachelor Degrees?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
If after College you can attend Grad Schools (For Master+Doctoral) does it mean that the College is called undergrad school and provides you the Bachelor Degree? Or don't you have Bachelor Degrees?
Yeah, I have a Bachelor degree from a University, but I also attended a college and could have received a Bachelors degrees from there as well.

So what you guys call University and we call College. Everything after high school is college. Even graduate school is part of college. We also have Colleges and Universities which are just names, you can get the same degrees at each, and different colleges and universities offer different things. Then there are places like MIT and CSM (Colorado School of Mines) which are university level institutions with funk names.

Also, if you're wondering technical schools are called Technical School or Vocational Schools. Then there are also Junior and Community Colleges which generally only offer 2 degrees.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
'school is not a place for smart people'
Maybe not for the extremely self directed, self motivated outliers like the Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg's of this world. But for the average person, you really advocating that people not go to university? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I have a Bachelor degree from a University, but I also attended a college and could have received a Bachelors degrees from there as well.

So what you guys call University and we call College. Everything after high school is college. Even graduate school is part of college. We also have Colleges and Universities which are just names, you can get the same degrees at each, and different colleges and universities offer different things. Then there are places like MIT and CSM (Colorado School of Mines) which are university level institutions with funk names.

Also, if you're wondering technical schools are called Technical School or Vocational Schools. Then there are also Junior and Community Colleges which generally only offer 2 degrees.
Yup, it's the same here :tup:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yes. Schools have become McDonalds.
If you're going to enter the job market, a bachelors degree has become a minimum pre-requisite. I know that, it's not always smart to do that, and you risk excluding people who do not have degrees, but can perform a certain job as well as or better than someone who does have a degree, but the fact of the matter is, in this day and age when job markets are saturated, and thousands of applicants apply for jobs, one of the most common ways of "screening out" is screening out those who do not have degrees.

So in short, unless you're Zuckerberg, Warren Buffet or someone like that, you better have a university degree :D

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Maybe not for the extremely self directed, self motivated outliers like the Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg's of this world. But for the average person, you really advocating that people not go to university? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, it's the same here :tup:
i advocate that school(not just college) is a babysitting institution which also serves as a tool to subdue the masses, it's kinda like boot camp in military training, it breaks you then molds you into the little citizen the state wants you to be. It teaches very little useful information, and instills the notion that authority/power resides in neat little govt-signed slips.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 47)