News that makes you say WTF! (77 Viewers)

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
molds you into the little citizen the state wants you to be. It teaches very little useful information, and instills the notion that authority/power resides in neat little govt-signed slips.
Depends on country and subject. Studying STEM I have never heard anything remotely political from any prof ever Moreover you are free to not attend any class and just go to the exams.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
i advocate that school(not just college) is a babysitting institution which also serves as a tool to subdue the masses, it's kinda like boot camp in military training, it breaks you then molds you into the little citizen the state wants you to be. It teaches very little useful information, and instills the notion that authority/power resides in neat little govt-signed slips.
You may be right about that, but the hard reality is that it doesn't matter. Unless you can convince business and society at large with that, the fact remains that you have to have a degree, or you'll have a very hard time in the job market. If you start your own business or are self made it matters much less I'd imagine, but if you go into the job market; try telling your interviewer that you think college is a tool to subdue the masses :p

Depends on country and subject. Studying STEM I have never heard anything remotely political from any prof ever Moreover you are free to not attend any class and just go to the exams.

That's not the point he was making at all though.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
dont know what stem is, but im pretty sure you needed somebody's permission to go take a shit

- - - Updated - - -

You may be right about that, but the hard reality is that it doesn't matter. Unless you can convince business and society at large with that, the fact remains that you have to have a degree, or you'll have a very hard time in the job market. If you start your own business or are self made it matters much less I'd imagine, but if you go into the job market; try telling your interviewer that you think college is a tool to subdue the masses :p

it does matter, any company that hires anyone tries first and foremost to establish competency, with the assumption that a school degree kind of guarantees that. The hard reality is it doesnt, any company hiring a fresh grad accounts for about a 3-6 months training period where they dont expect any output from the new hiree. Moreover, anything that guarantees you a job after school also requires a certificate, ex: CPA, all tech certs... Fact is degrees are way overrated, and if your concern is a job you can easily learn a trade or train on the job with much better results imo

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
dont know what stem is, but im pretty sure you needed somebody's permission to go take a shit

- - - Updated - - -

it does matter, any company that hires anyone tries first and foremost to establish competency, with the assumption that a school degree kind of guarantees that. The hard reality is it doesnt, any company hiring a fresh grad accounts for about a 3-6 months training period where they dont expect any output from the new hiree. Moreover, anything that guarantees you a job after school also requires a certificate, ex: CPA, all tech certs... Fact is degrees are way overrated, and if your concern is a job you can easily learn a trade or train on the job with much better results imo
I completely agree with you, I work in HR and can tell you firsthand, there isn't always a strong correlation between having a degree, and competence or performance. Anyone will tell you that on the job performance, especially when done right, is one of the best ways to ensure an employee performs his duties adequately. But the problem is, most companies would screen out those without degrees for the decent entry level jobs. That's probably still the case in the US too, I would imagine.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I completely agree with you, I work in HR and can tell you firsthand, there isn't always a strong correlation between having a degree, and competence or performance. Anyone will tell you that on the job performance, especially when done right, is one of the best ways to ensure an employee performs his duties adequately. But the problem is, most companies would screen out those without degrees for the decent entry level jobs. That's probably still the case in the US too, I would imagine.
a degree from a good school might get you an interview, but so would good social skills and ability to market yourself well, which brings us back to why school sucks, it teaches one uniform way of going about things which everyone follows thinking it's the only way.

Anyways, to anyone wanting to go to college i say, go for either dentistry, engineering(especially in the US), or applied math. The rest is not a good value, or just a waste of time altogether imo.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
a degree from a good school might get you an interview, but so would good social skills and ability to market yourself well, which brings us back to why school sucks, it teaches one uniform way of going about things which everyone follows thinking it's the only way.

Anyways, to anyone wanting to go to college i say, go for either dentistry, engineering(especially in the US), or applied math. The rest is not a good value, or just a waste of time altogether imo.
I'm looking to take a gap year and do an MBA abroad, thanks for the encouragement :p

Jul 1, 2010

I'm in Law school, paying about 4000$ per year (I go to McGill in Montreal). I know that going to Law School isn't a good idea in the US unless you get in a T14 school because there is an overflow of Law grads, but it isn't the case here in Canada. Here unemployment for law graduates is very low and the jobs are good.

So Law school is worth it here, so is Med School and a few other degrees like Actuarial Sciences, Engineering, dentistry, applied math.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I'm in Law school, paying about 4000$ per year (I go to McGill in Montreal). I know that going to Law School isn't a good idea in the US unless you get in a T14 school because there is an overflow of Law grads, but it isn't the case here in Canada. Here unemployment for law graduates is very low and the jobs are good.

So Law school is worth it here, so is Med School and a few other degrees like Actuarial Sciences, Engineering, dentistry, applied math.
law school and med school are not good values in the US imo actuarial science would fall under applied math.

Jul 1, 2010
law school and med school are not good values in the US imo actuarial science would fall under applied math.
Well I can understand that when you pay like 40 grands per year. Here in Quebec we pay about 4 grands, so it's definitely worth it (and there isn't an overflow of grads in these fields here).

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
if it aint hardvard level, dont bother :p

for reals though, if you have time and money learn something useful(MBA is not), or just travel the world, or open a business!
I wish I can get into Harvard haha.

Nay, its going to be one of the good Canadian Schools or Europe. For me right now, it's about global mobility and career change, an mba from a good school will do me a world of good in that regard.

I know most of the big consulting firms hire heavily from business schools, so in that respect an mba does have value :p

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
If you're going to enter the job market, a bachelors degree has become a minimum pre-requisite. I know that, it's not always smart to do that, and you risk excluding people who do not have degrees, but can perform a certain job as well as or better than someone who does have a degree, but the fact of the matter is, in this day and age when job markets are saturated, and thousands of applicants apply for jobs, one of the most common ways of "screening out" is screening out those who do not have degrees.

So in short, unless you're Zuckerberg, Warren Buffet or someone like that, you better have a university degree :D
That's not my point, though. Education has become a commodity. We're not educating people anymore - we're preparing them for the work force and we already begin, when they're little kids.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Yea I got it now. His points are legit in some branches but as soon as expertise is required on the job, a suit and a smile are not an alternative to many years of hard work.

but im pretty sure you needed somebody's permission to go take a $#@!
Not even in a metaphorical way, no

That's not my point, though. Education has become a commodity. We're not educating people anymore - we're preparing them for the work force and we already begin, when they're little kids.
At school I feel like they gave us a formidable general knowledge on all fields.
At university it depends on the subject but in general I agree with you. University is not the institution where students have a cup of coffee discussing Kant. They rush from class to class, hoping to win the rat race. Yet nobody is handcuffing them to read books, visit art exhibitions and attend concerts in their free time.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
dont know what stem is, but im pretty sure you needed somebody's permission to go take a $#@!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, anybody can go grab a business degree from a college somewhere, it's not difficult. Engineering and applied math degrees are certainly some of the best.

But that's actually a good thing. Too many folks have art or history degrees that are basically worthless in the job market. Leverage that against generation who is lazy to begin with and you have problems.

Getting a college degree is similar to opening a business. You have to weigh your start up costs and have to calculate the return on investment. If you spend $100,000 on an education and do not have any real marketable skills, that's a pretty poor strategy. On the other hand, if you can lock in a degree at $50,000 and a job over $50,000 per year, you can break even several years down the road minus living expenses. Thank God my employer pays for my Masters.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

I worry about the financial viability of any society where law degrees are in higher demand. Just sayin'...

Jul 1, 2010
I worry about the financial viability of any society where law degrees are in higher demand. Just sayin'...
It's not in higher demand here, it's just that universities here are all public and the government prevents them from enrolling too many students in some fields like law, so the market is not saturated with law graduates.

In the US, universities hire as many students as they want to milk more money from them, regardless of demand.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Oh ya, i definitely agree with that. When it comes to education in third world countries even affluent ones like the uae, they don't even do that unfortunately

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
It's not in higher demand here, it's just that universities here are all public and the government prevents them from enrolling too many students in some fields like law, so the market is not saturated with law graduates.

In the US, universities hire as many students as they want to milk more money from them, regardless of demand.
That's pretty cool. We have more engineering college seats than there are students. In my state alone, there are colleges that don't have a single student for some engineering streams.
(India has very few universities. Colleges are affiliated to these universities and the degree the student earn is the from the university, not the college)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 74)