News that makes you say WTF! (81 Viewers)

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
Yes. Schools have become McDonalds.
:tup:

- - - Updated - - -

i advocate that school(not just college) is a babysitting institution which also serves as a tool to subdue the masses, it's kinda like boot camp in military training, it breaks you then molds you into the little citizen the state wants you to be. It teaches very little useful information, and instills the notion that authority/power resides in neat little govt-signed slips.
:agree:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
MBA is the white bread of advanced degress.

- - - Updated - - -

i advocate that school(not just college) is a babysitting institution which also serves as a tool to subdue the masses, it's kinda like boot camp in military training, it breaks you then molds you into the little citizen the state wants you to be. It teaches very little useful information, and instills the notion that authority/power resides in neat little govt-signed slips.
Thats true but at the same time I would have never learned how to do probability equations or wipe my ass without it.:D

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
all necessary knowledge can be taught in 2-3 years :p
You criticized the universities for ther utilitarian, factory-like, "molding" approach yet you suggest narrowing down the subject matter to "necessary knowledge" rather than explore the matter beyond what working world demands. Weird

Jul 1, 2010
icemaη;4950191 said:
That's pretty cool. We have more engineering college seats than there are students. In my state alone, there are colleges that don't have a single student for some engineering streams.
(India has very few universities. Colleges are affiliated to these universities and the degree the student earn is the from the university, not the college)
Every single Indian students I've met in Canada have been engineers :D

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
You criticized the universities for ther utilitarian, factory-like, "molding" approach yet you suggest narrowing down the subject matter to "necessary knowledge" rather than explore the matter beyond what working world demands. Weird
My university experience was pretty free form. Aside from having to show up to class and lab, we could pretty much do what we wanted. Then again most of them are senior researchers at the USDA and USGS or retired private sector workers so very little ego tripping. My advisor was from Barcelona, guy was chill as fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

One must make sacrifices when studying the book of X.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
i criticized the school system in general starting with elementary school, and you have me confused with someone else on the utilitarian front. The exploring is down to personal interest, no one needs to know the effects of diminishing tea crops in gansu on sugar consumption in indonesia.

- - - Updated - - -

Every single Indian students I've met in Canada have been engineers :D
they're the ones likeliest to get the work visa

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
school is bad for ya maaane. Imma free thinka yooooo
well, you tried to be funny but there is still alot of truth in that.
creative people, for example, often feel misplaced in school,
i know what i’m talking about...

being good at school does not necessarily mean you are intelligent,
being bad at school does not necessarily mean you are stupid.

it basically shows how hardworking you are. thats about it.
And this is (especially at younger age) just not for everybody.

i already met alot of people in life and i’ve seen it all.

dumb students, smart school dropouts & vice versa.
cause in school they dont teach you enough general education.
thats up to yourself. instead you learn alot of specific stuff you’ll never
need again in your life.

my thoughts.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
well, you tried to be funny but there is still alot of truth in that.
creative people, for example, often feel misplaced in school,
i know what i’m talking about...

being good at school does not necessarily mean you are intelligent,
being bad at school does not necessarily mean you are stupid.

it basically shows how hardworking you are. thats about it.
And this is (especially at younger age) just not for everybody.

i already met alot of people in life and i’ve seen it all.

dumb students, smart school dropouts & vice versa.
cause in school they dont teach you enough general education.
thats up to yourself. instead you learn alot of specific stuff you’ll never
need again in your life.

my thoughts.
There is a difference between being a creative person, strruggling at school and being a "fuk da systsem" weed head who is too cool to try. Anyways I was not referring to high schools but to universities where everybody can embark on whatever journey he wants to in order to express whatever his strengths are. There is always something for everybody incase you're interested.
You feel misplaced? Hang on for those few high school years, it's no rocket science. And then go study visual arts, music or theater.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
There is a difference between being a creative person, strruggling at school and being a "fuk da systsem" weed head who is too cool to try. Anyways I was not referring to high schools but to universities where everybody can embark on whatever journey he wants to in order to express whatever his strengths are. There is always something for everybody incase you're interested.
You feel misplaced? Hang on for those few high school years, it's no rocket science. And then go study visual arts, music or theater.
:lol: That's one expensive slip of useless paper you're getting.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Hang on for those few high school years, it's no rocket science. And then go study visual arts, music or theater.
dont worry lol, i’m 27 and already found my way ;)

visual arts, music...why study it at all?

just to collect a framed diploma? the best ones if it comes to creative jobs
have always been the self-taught.

- - - Updated - - -

:lol: That's one expensive slip of useless paper you're getting.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
visual arts, music...why study it at all?
just to collect a framed diploma? the best ones if it comes to creative jobs
have always been the self-taught.
Attending a music school definitely grants you bigger chances of becoming a professional musician than pulling a Llewyn Davis.I know some folks who successfully took that road. Visual arts? Not so much. I just don't want people to generalize and underrate university education because they think entering "how to play guitar" into youtube gets you just as far.(exaggerating here)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 76)