• Vidic

• Suchy

• Santacroce

• Maidana

Results are only viewable after voting.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Martin O'Neill has not given up hope of keeping Juventus target Olof Mellberg at Aston Villa, despite confirming the Italian club's interest.The Italian giants have formally asked Villa for permission to speak to Mellberg who is in the final year of his current deal.

O'Neill understands the 30-year-old's desire to explore all options before deciding on where his future lies.

But he insisted the Sweden international had impressed sufficiently to earn a new deal with Villa and he will also have no hesitation in continuing to play him even if he signs a pre-contract agreement with Juventus.

O'Neill, whose side host Reading on Saturday, said: "Juventus have sent a letter through saying they want to speak to Olof.

"It is their prerogative. I am not even sure that they have to do that but at least they have made their intentions clear. They are well within their rights to do so.

"Olof has been here seven years. He has earned the right to do this. He wants to have a wee look around and it might not be anything to do with money. It might be an environmental thing.

"If someone like Juventus have shown an interest, and within six months of your contract running out, I think you have to explore every avenue.

"I don't plague him every single day about these things. I just let him get on with it and he might come around to formulating some idea in his head of what he wants to do."

O'Neill added: "Olof's commitment has been excellent and even if he decides to go in the summer, I would have no qualms about continuing to play him or if he signed a pre-contract.

"This is not a scenario where someone has not earned his stripes. This boy (Mellberg) has played seven years here and is a top professional.

"I am not going to rush him and he knows at the end of it all, he has done well enough to earn himself another contract here."

O'Neill has held contract talks with another defender in Martin Laursen and is hoping to be in a position to announce some news about the Dane's future next week.

Laursen is also in the final year of his current contract and has been one of Villa's most consistent players during the first half of the season and also weighed in with five goals.

O'Neill said: "We had some pretty reasonably good conversations and I think I'll be able to give you some news on that by the middle of next week."

O'Neill has challenged his side to build on their encouraging form during the first five months of the season and challenge for a European spot.

He said: "We have plenty to play for because we have given ourselves a platform from which to charge forward from.

"We had a great festive period. We are three points behind Manchester City. We are into the second half of the season, with 17 games to go, and looking to finish well.

"Everybody wants to get into the top four but it's whether you have the willpower to do it.

"If you're looking at us, Aston Villa has the ability to break into it because it has the history and a passionate support.

"Teams have that ambition but it's whether you have the determination, drive and it eventually comes down to the team."
melberg news. yahoo sport

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #49
    it is taking the piss because he most likely will not be replaced so whats the point even asking the question
    you're right, Ranieri said he'll show them the tape of yesterday's game.

Everything will be ok now! :scarf: :burke:

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    If Mellberg's contract is about to expire soon, he must be very cheap,
    pre-contract him for the summer would force his team to sell him now for a couple of millions. That would be a great temporary solution.
    I m also tempted by Zapata and Ujfalusi but we need at least 50% of our defense to be Italian, it has always been like that... it all depends on their price in the end!

adelove

The Very Special One
    Sep 29, 2003
    if chiellini is goin 2 b out 4 anythin more than 2 weeks,then we NEED 2 get a CB...@ this stage a not-to-costly(free agent?) but effective option should b explored...let's keep our money in our pocket till the summer....i'd plump for mellberg/ujfalusi....

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I have a question for gsol, Turk, Crack, Tahir, Ikonishabisha and whoever wants to answer from the Calciopoli gang:

Were Andrade's and Chiellini's injuries also a set-up from our enemies?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    I have a question for gsol, Turk, Crack, Tahir, Ikonishabisha and whoever wants to answer from the Calciopoli gang:

Were Andrade's and Chiellini's injuries also a set-up from our enemies?
    Wasn't Chiellini injured after a duel with Pozzi ? The same Pozzi that is loaned to Empoli from Milan ?

Sep 2, 2004
    we have to solve this defensive problem, if it means shelling out a lot of money then so be it, we're paying boumsong over 2 million a year and he is doing NOTHING BUT HURTING the team, if we paid zaragosa boumsong salary plus 16 mil we would have milito now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)