Nationality debate (27 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I can completely understand Andy's position on Rossi. Scotland have had players like that have defected to Ireland and I hate them.

However, I would like to see Rossi at Juve one day.
One of my University professors thats Irish, told me that a lot of the Irish players are of British origin, and thats why he doesn't watch his NT.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 1, 2002
His heritage, personal history are Italian, why wouldn't he want to play for them.

He loves football, and to play soccer would be painful, to say the least.

It's not as if America, as a football team have much to offer.

Juventico

Apr 7, 2005
His name is still Giuseppe Rossi and his parents are Italian, as someone who knows the Italian family environment you should not underestimate what it means and how it would also factor into his thinking. He had also been in the Parma youth system since he was 13. This isn't some guy who has just picked a national side like some of these Brazilians playing for Qatar or even Germany. He isn't Mike Heinrich from Ohio who has played in Italy and got a passport then decided to play for the Azzurri. I can understand the American frustration on the subject but don't agree with it.
I agree, it's the opposite situation with what Ghanans would think of Freddie Adu and Mario Balotelli.

Rossi has stated always his desire to play for Italy and represented them from U-16, and now plays for La Nazionale. He's not ever even playing in the U.S.

I can understand the frustration, but there's nothing to be done about it.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
One of my University professors thats Irish, told me that a lot of the Irish players are of British origin, and thats why he doesn't watch his NT.
True and understandable.

Several Scotland players are really English, which pisses me off.

Juventico

Apr 7, 2005
True and understandable.

Several Scotland players are really English, which pisses me off.
Didn't know that all your bloody history [no pun intended, really!] goes that deep to actually get pissed off because of the origins of players playing for your nation's teams.

I guess I'm just the usual Latinamerican who's used to being a mix of essentially everything. [Though it'd be fun if there was an Argentinian who'd be angry that many of their players are actually italian in origin, or that an American would protest having players with names as 'foreign' as Kljestan, Onyewu, etc in their team.]

Does it really matter where they're from as long as they want to play for the team?Especially if having a choice?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Didn't know that all your bloody history [no pun intended, really!] goes that deep to actually get pissed off because of the origins of players playing for your nation's teams.

I guess I'm just the usual Latinamerican who's used to being a mix of essentially everything. [Though it'd be fun if there was an Argentinian who'd be angry that many of their players are actually italian in origin, or that an American would protest having players with names as 'foreign' as Kljestan, Onyewu, etc in their team.]

Does it really matter where they're from as long as they want to play for the team?Especially if having a choice?
An country's team should be the best players that that nation can produce. It's not about a player being English, I don't want non-Scots playing for Scotland.

The rules should be tightened to stop players being eligible for a country ust because they have lived in a country for a while or because they have a long lost granny from a country.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
There just seems to be no pride anymore. I understand that Rossi wants the best for his career and USA isn't on par with italy, but that opens the door for people to try and find loop holes. The honor is gone, I am sure in africa players play for pride and honor to represent their country, even if the team sucks. That's how I feel about rossi, he just is an overly proud italian-american that stretched the system in a way that it wasn't intended. National team should be about honor and pride above anything else.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Playing for the yanks would get him little exposure. He made a career choice and a smart 1 at that. Not to mention he is Italian afterall.

Jul 10, 2006
There just seems to be no pride anymore. I understand that Rossi wants the best for his career and USA isn't on par with italy, but that opens the door for people to try and find loop holes. The honor is gone, I am sure in africa players play for pride and honor to represent their country, even if the team sucks. That's how I feel about rossi, he just is an overly proud italian-american that stretched the system in a way that it wasn't intended. National team should be about honor and pride above anything else.
You don't know Rossi's family dynamic and how he was raised. His parents imput was probably very important in him choosing to play for Italy.

Rossi is an American by birth, not heritage. Now had his family been in America for generations I could see his choice being more controversial.

Jan 7, 2007
Playing for the yanks would get him little exposure. He made a career choice and a smart 1 at that. Not to mention he is Italian afterall.
Let's put it this way: he'd have zero shot at ever wearing a Juve shirt if he stayed in the US. Maybe the Galaxy would be the highlight of his career.

Thankfully, Rossi followed his HEART and chose the Azzurri. Now, we can only hope he'll wear Juve's shirt, too.

Jan 7, 2007
You don't know Rossi's family dynamic and how he was raised. His parents imput was probably very important in him choosing to play for Italy.

Rossi is an American by birth, not heritage. Now had his family been in America for generations I could see his choice being more controversial.
Yea, it's not like his mom & dad were born and raised in Jersey. Nor his grandparents, for that matter.

People are too quick to judge him and label him as a traitor. They don't get it.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

You're Argentinian?

That's interesting. Not many South Americans on these boards, other than Joaco i don't think we have anybody.

An country's team should be the best players that that nation can produce. It's not about a player being English, I don't want non-Scots playing for Scotland.

The rules should be tightened to stop players being eligible for a country ust because they have lived in a country for a while or because they have a long lost granny from a country.

Completely agreed. :agree:

Juventico

Apr 7, 2005
You're Argentinian?
Costa Rican actually, but I think most of our continent shares the common history of being a mix of what little natives remained, colonial powers [Spanish mostly] and what they brought here, and whatever else fled for whatever reasons from Europe or Asia. I took Argentina as the best example of a nation that has a really really strong tie with Europe, in this case Italy. As it is the Argentian accent of spanish is closer to Neapolitan Italian accent than to Spanish from Spain.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Costa Rican actually, but I think most of our continent shares the common history of being a mix of what little natives remained, colonial powers [Spanish mostly] and what they brought here, and whatever else fled for whatever reasons from Europe or Asia. I took Argentina as the best example of a nation that has a really really strong tie with Europe, in this case Italy. As it is the Argentian accent of spanish is closer to Neapolitan Italian accent than to Spanish from Spain.
Ah, first Costa Rican too though, nice having you around. :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)