'Murica! (135 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
It's becoming almost unaffordable to buy a decent house in Dallas with all the ridiculous property taxes, insurance payments, crazy interst rates and property prices.
It's all over. Shit sucks.
Most of my properties are in DFW. The taxes are high but worth it. But yeah the market is just like everywhere else - saturated
What do you do if some sort of issue arises, being so far away? A pipe burst for example.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Most of my properties are in DFW. The taxes are high but worth it. But yeah the market is just like everywhere else - saturated
The insurance thing is a wild one. There's a real collision coming between people who think the increased risk to properties is fake climate change wokeness versus the actuaries and bean counters who pull out when their risk plots red flag entire communities.

That’s it. Build the wall. Send them all back. Mexicans aren’t worthy of this country.
The one around Texas for Texit?

Well, it used to be Mexican I guess...

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I have a management company to handle everything from maintenance to leasing. Well worth the $
Did you get in before interest rates went up, if you don't mind me asking?

Some friends bought a property in Binghamton to rent out, no idea how they're making anything considering what mortgage rates are now.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It's all over. Shit sucks.

What do you do if some sort of issue arises, being so far away? A pipe burst for example.
You’re in a rough area for real estate too, but on the whole ‘murican real estate market has at least stayed somewhat within reach for a lot of people. Canada’s real estate market is basically fucked almost everywhere unless you wanna live where it’s dark for 23 hours a day in winter.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
You’re in a rough area for real estate too, but on the whole ‘murican real estate market has at least stayed somewhat within reach for a lot of people. Canada’s real estate market is basically fucked almost everywhere unless you wanna live where it’s dark for 23 hours a day in winter.
We have that in America but instead of it being weather related, it's generally proximity to jobs/major cities related relative to income of the area.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
We have that in America but instead of it being weather related, it's generally proximity to jobs/major cities related relative to income of the area.
I think part of the problem here is that our economy (outside real estate) and incomes aren’t growing at a similar rate. Both are lagging far behind the US lately.

But even with just housing, you can see it here:
Screenshot-2023-09-07-131527-2.png

Our housing market has gone completely insane post-2005ish.

Screenshot-2023-09-08-115349.png

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I think part of the problem here is that our economy (outside real estate) and incomes aren’t growing at a similar rate. Both are lagging far behind the US lately.

I heard that Vancouver in particular is really bad.

Although maybe @Fab Fragment is looking at the wrong city

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Austin is great.

these luxury apartments that are popping up everywhere are a bust tho. This scum bag developer near Philly went nuts with those, started making them alongside the river. Had coworkers who lived in some and saw a bunch being erected during my commute.

paper thin, built on wood studs and drywall. You can literally hear your neighbor farting and they start at 2.5k for a one bed. Looks fancy at first sight but living there is a nightmare.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
Austin is great.

these luxury apartments that are popping up everywhere are a bust tho. This scum bag developer near Philly went nuts with those, started making them alongside the river. Had coworkers who lived in some and saw a bunch being erected during my commute.

paper thin, built on wood studs and drywall. You can literally hear your neighbor farting and they start at 2.5k for a one bed. Looks fancy at first sight but living there is a nightmare.
Lol. Sign of good health??

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I heard that Vancouver in particular is really bad.

Although maybe @Fab Fragment is looking at the wrong city

Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities around, but also an absolute joke of a city for real estate for the past couple decades. Between allowing corporations and developers to buy up properties everywhere and just sit on them, to allowing foreign nationals to invest in our real estate, including organized crime from China, and other Asian countries.

I think NYC, LA and several other American cities have overall higher cost of living, but also have significantly higher earnings, so where Vancouver fails worst is in cost of living vs income.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
I've been to Vancouver once and was amazed at the number of exotic cars on the roads. Most were driven by Chinese.
There were a lot of Sikhs over there as well but I don't know about how well off they are for the most part.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

Most Americans have a not-invented-here problem.

Many don’t think inflation exists anywhere else on the planet.

Even more have no idea how ridiculous the Canadian housing market is relative to the U.S. one.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities around, but also an absolute joke of a city for real estate for the past couple decades. Between allowing corporations and developers to buy up properties everywhere and just sit on them, to allowing foreign nationals to invest in our real estate, including organized crime from China, and other Asian countries.

I think NYC, LA and several other American cities have overall higher cost of living, but also have significantly higher earnings, so where Vancouver fails worst is in cost of living vs income.
I have an uncle who lives in North Vancouver.

Big house, right next to a forest in a cul de sac.

I think he could probably sell that house, return to Belgium and live comfortably off the money made.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 18, Guests: 96)