'Murica! (98 Viewers)

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007

Are u guys telling me this inspirational video by the celebs didn't make you feel better about the Corona Virus.
Yes, this was the one that I was talking about
It's ridiculous
Well, this gets to the concept of just dribble the damn ball. They definitely have little relevance to our own lives. And most are paid to entertain us, not to preach to us. But at the same time, even if nobody voted for them, they carry social weight with their voices by the fact that so many followers who fund their careers essentially give them voices. The smart ones know when to shut up. But there are a few smart ones who know that they have a unique opportunity to send messages with reach to actually wield that power for some social good.

That said, I am irritated by Bill Gates. No, I don't think he's trying to put microchips in my blood. But I do feel like here's this guy who didn't pay his fair share of taxes and is now using his Scrooge McDuck billions to tell others how to live their lives while nobody voted for him. Yes, you can say his gestures are philanthropic and for the betterment of mankind and he could have a lot worse causes with his billions to pursue.

But in my mind those billions are ill-gotten gains and that he's also subtly using philanthropy to keep the oligarch system in place rather than fix it. This is what Anand Giridharadas gets at with Winners Take All. And Anand is a bit of an irritant, but I mostly agree with his assessment. Bill Gates is no better than Pablo Escobar handing out Christmas pigs to the poor people in his hometown.

Yeah, I am that old. :D But if you have a more recent song that hits the topic that way, please do share.
:tup:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Sick track. But hits a different note. I'm looking for something more where someone would gripe about big money gangster rappers being all coddled wannabes who never worked an honest day in their lives, doing something that would be trivial and anyone could do it themselves.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Sick track. But hits a different note. I'm looking for something more where someone would gripe about big money gangster rappers being all coddled wannabes who never worked an honest day in their lives, doing something that would be trivial and anyone could do it themselves.
Not quite big money gangstas...

"If you ever get annoyed, look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 81)