'Murica! (29 Viewers)

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Man, so many people just need a slap in the back of the head. Half the people claiming they bipolar, or manic depressive, or whatever else would be normal, responsible adults in any other era. This is what happens when parents are no longer allowed to discipline their own children, and teachers have to walk on eggshells for fear of being fired over giving kids shit when they do stupid shit.
Idk man, i don't think if i had kids I would have to hit them to get them to behave.

As for mental illness, obviously it's a real problem that should be taken seriously. But also many people never knew how to grow up, think life is so hard and call that mental illness. As if they don't realise there are ups and downs in life and think that something's wrong if you're not always happy.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I don't think its that simple.

I think its a combination of factors: intense academic pressure on young kids, direct to consumer marketing of pharmaceuticals, general clown world where the news manipulates you and pop cultures makes little sense and the fact that being a victim/ disadvantaged is in right now and gets you sympathy. Particularly if you are young privivledged white girl, your options to get in on the sympathy/ attention party are rather limited right now and this is a generation that craves attention and immediate gratification
Oh for sure. That’s not the only part of it. But people infantilize older children, adolescents, and young adults today to an absurd degree. Like you said, being a victim/disadvantaged is of social credit right now. But part of that is that we’ve raised a generation without any discipline or accountability.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Environmental, substance abuse etc (many factors) but the biggest factor will still remain the genes.
and I don't disagree with that. I've seen it first hand, much more than I would ever have wanted to.

At the same time I do think there a number of self diagnosed out there dealing with what they call depression or anxiety because they want attention or want to excuse their general shitty behavior or lack of accomplishments. Its their own little trump card to get out of accountability / criticism

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
As if they don't realise there are ups and downs in life and think that something's wrong if you're not always happy.
I think this is a part of it too. Life is challenging and stressful. Sometimes to the point it feels demoralizing but it doesn't mean the answer is heavy pharmaceuticals and it doesn't excuse you from accountability

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Idk man, i don't think if i had kids I would have to hit them to get them to behave.

As for mental illness, obviously it's a real problem that should be taken seriously. But also many people never knew how to grow up, think life is so hard and call that mental illness.
Yeah, perhaps I went over the top. To clarify, I wasn’t saying people should be slapping their kids around on the regular. I got a spanking or two as a kid for the absolute dumbest shit I did. A cuff in the head or two from my grandpa when I was being a shithead too. But that’s about it. I really don’t have a problem with that. Sometimes you do really stupid shit as a kid, and there isn’t really any need to discuss it, a consequence is all that matters. But for sure, it doesn’t have to be the above sort, I just don’t have an issue with that sort of discipline.

Of course, agree on the mental illness thing. But way too many self-diagnosed nowadays, because like you say, life is too hard.

AriG

Feb 17, 2019
and I don't disagree with that. I've seen it first hand, much more than I would ever have wanted to.

At the same time I do think there a number of self diagnosed out there dealing with what they call depression or anxiety because they want attention or want to excuse their general shitty behavior or lack of accomplishments. Its their own little trump card to get out of accountability / criticism

Sorry to hear that, hope you're recovering well.

Sure, there could be somebody who is faking it for different reasons but how can you be sure that the number is that big?
Depression and anxiety is a normal thing since the dawn of humanity, it's like normal thing.

Good reads are some of Foucault's books like The birth of a clinic and Discipline and Punish. Madness and Civilization also.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Oh for sure. That’s not the only part of it. But people infantilize older children, adolescents, and young adults today to an absurd degree. Like you said, being a victim/disadvantaged is of social credit right now. But part of that is that we’ve raised a generation without any discipline or accountability.
I think you may be onto something. I wasn't raised that way but I do know folks who were.

From what i've seen, you aren't doing your children any favors by spoiling them/ coddling them.

I do disagree about physical discipline. Hitting your kids is equally shitty/ lazy parenting.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to hear that, hope you're recovering well.

Sure, there could be somebody who is faking it for different reasons but how can you be sure that the number is that big?
Depression and anxiety is a normal thing since the dawn of humanity, it's like normal thing.

Good reads are some of Foucault's books like The birth of a clinic and Discipline and Punish. Madness and Civilization also.
I didn't mean myself :lol:

I think that number is quite big when 50% of the US is now claiming they need anti depressants/ anti anxiety meds. Sure depression and anxiety are normal conditions, that's exactly my point. Its not mental illness, its the pains and struggles of life.

AriG

Feb 17, 2019
Of course, agree on the mental illness thing. But way too many self-diagnosed nowadays, because like you say, life is too hard.
Man, if someone feels depressed he's depressed. If someone has anxiety, he has it.
Faking it for attention idk, mental illness is still stigmatised so it won't get them any attention.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I think you may be onto something. I wasn't raised that way but I do know folks who were.

From what i've seen, you aren't doing your children any favors by spoiling them/ coddling them.

I do disagree about physical discipline. Hitting your kids is equally shitty/ lazy parenting.
Fair enough. Seems I’m a relic in this regard lol. I guess growing up it was still kind of normal and I never really thought much about it aside from don’t do that stupid shit again. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Man, if someone feels depressed he's depressed. If someone has anxiety, he has it.
Faking it for attention idk, mental illness is still stigmatised so it won't get them any attention.
Feeling depressed and clinical depression are two very different things. C’mon man.

AriG

Feb 17, 2019
I didn't mean myself :lol:

I think that number is quite big when 50% of the US is now claiming they need anti depressants/ anti anxiety meds. Sure depression and anxiety are normal conditions, that's exactly my point. Its not mental illness, its the pains and struggles of life.
Maybe they need anti depressants? Maybe they are really depressed? Why would they use them if not?
Pains and struggles of life can be the cause but there are cases when people haven't have a single struggle in life and they are still depressed.
Genes, chemistry in the brain it's way more complicated.

We can speculate what is it for weeks or months, we are not trained professionals, even trained professionals have different opinions but the thing is that mental illness really exists. Never was going to jump to that topic but I saw a narrative that comes strictly from some conservative american side of the political spectrum, like, mental illness doesn't exists or it's glamourised bla-bla. This stigmatisation, is it some primordial mechanism of excluding the "weak" link in the family/tribe I don't know, I'm not trained in evolutionary biology either but I can tell you one thing for sure fuck USA I meant FUCK UEFA, fuck them incest Brits fuck capitalism forza Juve and Agnieli did nothing wrong!

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Yes but why the narrative that people fake it or that it doesn't exists?
People fake their dick size, that doesn't mean that dicks don't exist.

How much of it is an organic issue with the brain? Maybe, for all of the convenience, contemporary society is not serving a lot of people's basic needs or is slowly conditioning them towards unhealthy expectations?

Mass media recognizing how much sensationalism is increasingly necessary to survive in their space certainly isn't helping.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

As for mental illness, obviously it's a real problem that should be taken seriously. But also many people never knew how to grow up, think life is so hard and call that mental illness. As if they don't realise there are ups and downs in life and think that something's wrong if you're not always happy.
thankfully my parents never laid a hand on me besides the occasional head slap and I’d never hit my kids either. My teachers did smack me pretty good tho.

But I had friends who got belted on and legit got their shit beat out of them. All it did was separate them from their parents more as they got older. Discipline should come in forms other than physical, people who think that’s okay are retarded and don’t know any better.

but yeah, you hit the nail on the head there. People just expect everything to go their way, they need to learn life comes with a lot more downs than ups, you just need to make the most of it.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I come from a family where I was regularly belted when I was kid, but I was doing some seriously stupid shit like going out to play while we were bombarded or running in front of the sniper etc. Of course, there were less serious misdemeanors for which I also got physical punishment, and while I don't really approve it, I don't resent my parents at all.

Regarding the mental illness, it's not really a joke. Maybe in the USA there is over usage of that definition as people like to make excuses and big pharma loves to sell medications for it.

Here it's still pretty stigmatized as people tend to say it just an overreaction to problems etc. I kinda have an OCD problem, nothing serious but it's mainly related to obsessive thoughts that I need to repeat in my head, that's at least what the psychiatrist told me a long time ago. Right now that intensified and I'm not sure am I getting depressed or it's just a depressive state due to various external elements like dissatisfaction with the job etc.

Why am I writing this? First, because I kinda needed to share it, second because I'll not go around and claim how I am depressed and take medications on my own, I'll probably go and seek professional help and then if it's needed I'll take the meds.

AriG

Feb 17, 2019
How much of it is an organic issue with the brain? Maybe, for all of the convenience, contemporary society is not serving a lot of people's basic needs or is slowly conditioning them towards unhealthy expectations?

Mass media recognizing how much sensationalism is increasingly necessary to survive in their space certainly isn't helping.
It's a big part but we can't also deny the external part, the "contemporary society is not serving a lot of people's basic needs" part.
Class struggle and inequality will continue on global scale so, it's expected to see even more forms of mental illnesses because of the situation and not been able to react and treat them in time. Other substance abuses, domestic and general violence will also grow while the political spectrum on both sides will radicalize even more.

Can safely say that besides the gene factor USA and the Western European white capitalist men is the main cause of depression and anxiety on a global scale.

Last edited:

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
I got belted, slapped and even punched by my mum, sometimes for insignificant stuff and other times for serious stuff. I did resent her in my teenage years/early adulthood but I don't anymore. I love her like any son would.

But I don't think beating me really solved anything. I'm never gonna lay hands on my kids because I know it doesn't work. There's better ways to punish/teach kids like taking away their playstation and actually explaining shit to them.

Anyway, people need to stop being pussies and acting like they're disabled because they're sad. People take pills to numb their brains and not face the real problems in their lives.

- - - Updated - - -

This is that happens when you don't use deadly force when confronting a knife wielding perp

Two cops had to empty their magazines to put that guy down. Retards think a bullet or two is enough to stop enraged idiots with weapons.

But these clips don't make the headlines.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)