Movies you've seen recently... (32 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
jules and jim: very good movie exploring the intricacies of the heart :D
Good flick. The triangle is a bit much.

As mentioned in another thread, I went the other route on some old Christian Bale: American Psycho. I thought it was pretty cool. Some hilarious lines and a lot of "uncomfortable" situations.

Fans of the book criticized it because it was largely sanitized of all the blood and gore in the book, and Bale's character is a detail-oriented guy. But I liked the direction and handling here in the way that I thought 10 of the final minutes of Audition almost completely blew the whole movie in a directorial cop-out. Psychological thrillers work better and what's unseen and unstated rather than on what's seen and stated. And while this movie doesn't qualify as a psychological thriller, more an examination of soulless consumption and sociopathic dementia, the gore details would have been more of a distraction.

All I know is I am going to have to start using the line, "I need to return some videotapes" a lot more often...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Oh good then you can explain something to me. What the hell were the business cards all about?
It was cultural adornment. The Medicis flaunted their wealth and power by commissioning artists. The brokers in American Psycho were trying to establish a sort of pecking order by who had the cooler, more exquisite business card.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
It sorta didn't buy that scene. I mean business cards is one thing, but they were all so extremely bland. Does that also mean something?
That's exactly the point. The whole movie is a satire of consumerism, with Bateman's and his associates' constant struggle to one-up each other by wearing a better suit, driving a better car, even having the better restaurant reservations.

You might have noticed that all of the business cards read "Vice President" (a nice touch :D). I don't know if this part is significant, but Bateman takes off his glasses when he goes to read one of the cards, showing that he doesn't actually need them to enhance his vision, but is wearing them because everyone else is.

One of my favourite quotes from the movie, which kind of sums it all up, comes from this dialogue:

Evelyn: Well, you hate that job anyway. Why don't you just quit? You don't have to work.

Bateman: Because I want to fit in.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Good flick. The triangle is a bit much.

As mentioned in another thread, I went the other route on some old Christian Bale: American Psycho. I thought it was pretty cool. Some hilarious lines and a lot of "uncomfortable" situations.

Fans of the book criticized it because it was largely sanitized of all the blood and gore in the book, and Bale's character is a detail-oriented guy. But I liked the direction and handling here in the way that I thought 10 of the final minutes of Audition almost completely blew the whole movie in a directorial cop-out. Psychological thrillers work better and what's unseen and unstated rather than on what's seen and stated. And while this movie doesn't qualify as a psychological thriller, more an examination of soulless consumption and sociopathic dementia, the gore details would have been more of a distraction.

All I know is I am going to have to start using the line, "I need to return some videotapes" a lot more often...

you gotta loce someone who dines with cliff huxtable and gets reservations at dorsia, men everyone hated me back in 2000 all i did was quote bateman

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Someone watched Valkyrie ?
aye-i would pay money to see Tc killed:lol:

on a serious note the movie was alright but as a suspense thriller it really was lacking in edge of your seat moments. i mean you could blame that on already knowing that the attempt failed but i feel that the script,performances and(unfortunately as i like Singer) direction failed to truly capture the feelings of anxiety,trepidation or the moral dilemma's that the main protagonists were going through.

Cruise was decent in the role but you were never truly convinced of his passion fr his cause, Bill Nighy was god-awful yet again, seriously how does this guy get work? Kenneth Brannah was criminally underused and possibly should have been re-cast to get more screen-time. the rest of the cast get pass marks,but nothing special really.

i feel this really could have been a terrific film but there was no grittiness, no real feeling of suspense and it was a bit of a missed opportunity. it is certainly watchable but it should have been a lot more than an instantly forgettable flick

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
I saw Valkyrie last night, i enjoyed it, and i agree with bozi on his points, though didn't know any of the actors which he mentioned apart from tc.
I knew it failed, but didn't know exactly how, so that was the main point which i was waiting to see.
Also they should have accentuated the hanging more, as they used piano cords as the material.

I'd say a 6.5/7.0 on 10

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
yeah well i am not willing to go into it too much as some folk still want to watch it but there are a few things i left questioning

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
:cry: There was a time when all of the aforementioned films, in the lasts pages of this thread, were already in my torrent list. Now, i can barely cope with "lost":shifty:

Does anyone has a good 10 film list, with the best films of the past month?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I just saw Il Divo. Truly amazing film. If you want to watch it, read something about Andreotti and Tangentopoli before you do though. It's a very good movie, but it's difficult, really difficult. If you're not Italian, it's probably going to be tough to understand the entire movie. I got most because I studied Italian history, but even then..

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
That's exactly the point. The whole movie is a satire of consumerism, with Bateman's and his associates' constant struggle to one-up each other by wearing a better suit, driving a better car, even having the better restaurant reservations.

You might have noticed that all of the business cards read "Vice President" (a nice touch :D). I don't know if this part is significant, but Bateman takes off his glasses when he goes to read one of the cards, showing that he doesn't actually need them to enhance his vision, but is wearing them because everyone else is.

One of my favourite quotes from the movie, which kind of sums it all up, comes from this dialogue:

Evelyn: Well, you hate that job anyway. Why don't you just quit? You don't have to work.

Bateman: Because I want to fit in.
Exactly. :agree:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Since I'm a touch ill and boozing seems dumb at this point I've decided to have a "movie night". The theme will be "Movies Martin Won't Like". The first feature is a favorite of mine... A little "think piece" about carnage along Route 66 and the effect of media on societal perspectives.

Yep folks, you've guessed it. Round one of "Movies Martin Won't Like" madness begins with Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers starring Woody Harrelson, Juliet Lewis, RDJ, and Tommy Lee Jones. Written by Quentin Tarantino. Key lime pie anyone? Enjoy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 31)