Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (62 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I too saw the movies as a kid, loved the first one and wasn't impressed by 2 or 3

Couple weeks ago I rewatched the whole trilogy for the first time and I appreciated the 2nd and 3rd much more. Think the first time around I was too young to understand how the events of the 2nd and 3rd fit together into the overall plot.

Individually they are still nowhere near as good as the first but the overall trilogy holds up better than i realized The parts about previous iterations of the Matrix, Neo and the evolution of programs like Agent Smith, the significance of the Merovingian and the Oracle went over my head as a kid

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I too saw the movies as a kid, loved the first one and wasn't impressed by 2 or 3

Couple weeks ago I rewatched the whole trilogy for the first time and I appreciated the 2nd and 3rd much more. Think the first time around I was too young to understand how the events of the 2nd and 3rd fit together into the overall plot.

Individually they are still nowhere near as good as the first but the overall trilogy holds up better than i realized The parts about previous iterations of the Matrix, Neo and the evolution of programs like Agent Smith, the significance of the Merovingian and the Oracle went over my head as a kid
:tup: lol totally same here. I will probably rewatch those too.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I think it's gonna suck too but I still have hope. Not sure what you can expect from a movie created by trans (siblings).
Yeah, I'd be surprised A LOT if it's good. Simply no way imo.

Yeah Watch the Alpinist as well it's about Marc Andre Leclerc. Different breed of humans.
Has anyone watched 14 peaks? Holy shit man.
Thanks for mentioning those. Looks interesting, I'll keep my eyes on those and probably wait for snow to watch 'em.

Apr 15, 2006
I think it's going to suck but hopefully I'm totally wrong there.

Like two years ago I rewatched Matrix 1 and I loved it. But I didn't bother with 2 and 3. It's been a while since last I saw those two movies, I was literally a kid. What do you think about them?
I watched Reloaded against a few days ago and I still love it. I just understood what was going on far better than my initial watches many years ago. It also took a lot of the action and set pieces to a new level. That highway bike chase scene was better than i remember it.

But honestly, nothing will ever top The OG Matrix cos there was nothing like it before, which cannot be said about all 3 movies coming after it. I went into it with lowered expectations after seeing a couple of reviews, but in the end I liked it more than I thought I would. It still has a lot of the Matrix identity to it even if it doesn't take itself as seriously as before, which actually works in its favour. I'd say watch it wherever you want, theatre or stream, just as long as you don't expect anything like the OG Matrix and take it for what it is trying to be. You'll enjoy it that way.

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
Will do, looks interesting. Also I saw Alex from 'Free Solo' in the trailer.
Haven't seen that one got to check that out.
I was at Yosemite 3 months ago there were some climbers on El Capitan they had made a platform half way up.

If you are a nature/climber guy and you are ever in CA you have to see Yosemite there is nothing like it. Also the giant sequoias at Sequoia national park is something you can't grasp fully in pictures, got to be there.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It’s the usual Wes Anderson fare. Not his best, not his worst. If you enjoy his films you will like it, if you don’t you won’t. It’s not a film to win him new fans or lose him old ones. I enjoy his films for what they are, lighthearted, whimsical fare. Have to be in the right mood to watch them, but they are usually on enjoyable easy to digest movies.

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
I think it's going to suck but hopefully I'm totally wrong there.

Like two years ago I rewatched Matrix 1 and I loved it. But I didn't bother with 2 and 3. It's been a while since last I saw those two movies, I was literally a kid. What do you think about them?
I watched resurrection last night.. already knew it would be not as good but it drags out worse then I thought it would. There is some fast paced action where you don't know wtf it is you are seeing them it slows down to sluggish dialogue.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It’s the usual Wes Anderson fare. Not his best, not his worst. If you enjoy his films you will like it, if you don’t you won’t. It’s not a film to win him new fans or lose him old ones. I enjoy his films for what they are, lighthearted, whimsical fare. Have to be in the right mood to watch them, but they are usually on enjoyable easy to digest movies.
Oh I did watch it already. Was just wondering if you liked it. I really enjoyed it, such a beauty for the eyes, damn, crazy good eye candy. Wes is weird for my taste. Best one is Budapest imo, great movie overall. The French Dispach is not that good but imo it's his second best movie. I'm not a fan of his other work, though. I admire his style and he stands out for sure, you can easily recognize his work and that's outstanding nowadays.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Oh I did watch it already. Was just wondering if you liked it. I really enjoyed it, such a beauty for the eyes, damn, crazy good eye candy. Wes is weird for my taste. Best one is Budapest imo, great movie overall. The French Dispach is not that good but imo it's his second best movie. I'm not a fan of his other work, though. I admire his style and he stands out for sure, you can easily recognize his work and that's outstanding nowadays.
Grand Budapest is my favourite too. Then this one and Darjeeling Limited are the others I enjoy. Nice to see Benicio Del Toro and Frances Mcdormand in this one. He always has a great cast which works in his favour too. Definitely eye candy. That’s never my problem with his films though. It’s always the issue with a lack of substance beneath that eye candy. But this one and Budapest were a bit better for that even.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Which of his works is your favourite?

Here's my list in that order from best to less best

Life Aquatic
Grand Budapest
The Royal Tennenbaums
Darjeeling Limited
Rushmore
Mr Fox
Moonrise Kingdom (I don't remember anything from that anymore)

I haven't watched The French Dispatch yet

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Which of his works is your favourite?

Here's my list in that order from best to less best

Life Aquatic
Grand Budapest
The Royal Tennenbaums
Darjeeling Limited
Rushmore
Mr Fox
Moonrise Kingdom (I don't remember anything from that anymore)

I haven't watched The French Dispatch yet
Probably would go:

Grand Budapest
Darjeeling Limited/The French Dispatch
Life Aquatic/Royal Tenenbaums
Moonrise Kingdom/Rushmore
Mr Fox
Bottle Rocket

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
From what I remember:

Grand Budapest Hotel
Darjeeling Limited
Life Aquatic
Royal Tenenbaums
Moonrise Kingdom
Rushmore

Never seen Isle of Dogs or Fantastic Mr Fox. They don't look like movies I would enjoy.
Haven't seen the French Dispatch yet either, but I definitely will at some point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)