Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (90 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Nice ones! Two of the best films from the last couple of years! Embrace of the Serpent and Birds of Passage that is (please use English titles so I don't need to google :D).

Considering his English debut flopped (haven't seen it yet though), and that he's accused of sexual harassment, I'm not sure Ciro Guerra's future is that bright though. :D

- - - Updated - - -

No, I wasn't a big fan. It's not entire bad though, but it's definitely too long. I'm quite sure you'd hate it though. :D
Serpent is amazing. But I really liked the other one too.

What English debut? Oh and I had no idea about sexual harassment lol.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Netflix tv series = Consistently good and bringing the masses to your service.

Netflix movies = lets give huge budgets and A list actors to moronic and brainless film student level directors.
Nah, they're just going quantity over quality with both film and television - both to please different demographics and to have lots of exclusive and new content. They recently announced that they're releasing one new film every week in 2021 - pretty crazy. I also wished they focused a bit more on quality, but apparently that's not where the money is. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Serpent is amazing. But I really liked the other one too.

What English debut? Oh and I had no idea about sexual harassment lol.
This one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6149154/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

It sounds and looks pretty amazing, but the reviews were so disappointing that I never got around to watching it.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Nah, they're just going quantity over quality with both film and television - both to please different demographics and to have lots of exclusive and new content. They recently announced that they're releasing one new film every week in 2021 - pretty crazy. I also wished they focused a bit more on quality, but apparently that's not where the money is. :D

- - - Updated - - -

This one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6149154/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

It sounds and looks pretty amazing, but the reviews were so disappointing that I never got around to watching it.
Wow, it has Depp and Pattinson in it, that's great.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
@Post Ironic @Völler

what are your fav caroons? Oh and I was just thinking... there are plenty of quality DC/Marvel and nowadays Pixar movies (cartoons). Japan also has plenty of anime. Where's Europe on that field? Do you have something to recommend? Tomm Moore made some great ones, but is there more to? There are also two by Chomet (The Illusionist and Les triplettes de Belleville). But... more? I'm kinda surprised there aren't many more. Or it's just that I'm ignorant on that field. There are plenty of quality European comics, mainly coming from France/Belgium (now I remember there's Le chat du rabbin), but I'm not familiar with cartoons.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
@Post Ironic @Völler

what are your fav caroons? Oh and I was just thinking... there are plenty of quality DC/Marvel and nowadays Pixar movies (cartoons). Japan also has plenty of anime. Where's Europe on that field? Do you have something to recommend? Tomm Moore made some great ones, but is there more to? There are also two by Chomet (The Illusionist and Les triplettes de Belleville). But... more? I'm kinda surprised there aren't many more. Or it's just that I'm ignorant on that field. There are plenty of quality European comics, mainly coming from France/Belgium (now I remember there's Le chat du rabbin), but I'm not familiar with cartoons.
Not really my speciality, but besides the obvious ones - Pixar (do watch Soul), Studio Ghibli and those you mentioned and that I think you have watched - these are good:
  • World of Tomorrow
  • I Lost My Body
  • The Dam Keeper
  • The Man Who Planted Trees
  • The Breadwinner
  • The Red Turtle

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Not really my speciality, but besides the obvious ones - Pixar (do watch Soul), Studio Ghibli and those you mentioned and that I think you have watched - these are good:
  • World of Tomorrow
  • I Lost My Body
  • The Dam Keeper
  • The Man Who Planted Trees
  • The Breadwinner
  • The Red Turtle
:D Ghibli is Japanese. I know about them, I watched plenty of their stuff. Same goes for Pixar. I watched Soul and I think it's a brilliant one. Inside Out and that one are quite deep and amazing.

I'm kinda shocked Europe doesn't show up there that much. The Red Turtle is like copy/paste Ghibli stuff so I can't say I admire the creativity. I watched almost all of those. Leaves me surprised since Europeans have great comics history.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
:D Ghibli is Japanese. I know about them, I watched plenty of their stuff. Same goes for Pixar. I watched Soul and I think it's a brilliant one. Inside Out and that one are quite deep and amazing.

I'm kinda shocked Europe doesn't show up there that much. The Red Turtle is like copy/paste Ghibli stuff so I can't say I admire the creativity. I watched almost all of those. Leaves me surprised since Europeans have great comics history.
I didn't mean to say that you didn't know about Pixar and Studio Ghibli. Just that I would disregard them in the list. :D

Maybe there is something out there I'm not familiar with. But then again, feature length animation films are traditionally viewed as something for children, and given that it's historically quite an expensive thing to make, it makes sense that the market doesn't flood with arthouse animation. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Have you watched Fantastic Mr. Fox or Isle of Dogs?

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Ned Kelly (2003)

-Heath Ledger, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Naomi Watts
-Based on an outlaw bushranger robin hood character, who built his own bulletproof armor to fuck up the Victorian Government

HOW do you make a film with this premise so bland and forgettable, outright tedious at times. I'm genuinely shocked. Haven't paid, yet feel scammed. This needs a remake.

OP
Elvin

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
  • Thread Starter #27,934
    Malcolm & Marie

Yep, pretty much what you'd expect form a son of a famous actor and a model - pretentious as fuck.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Ned Kelly (2003)

-Heath Ledger, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Naomi Watts
    -Based on an outlaw bushranger robin hood character, who built his own bulletproof armor to fuck up the Victorian Government

HOW do you make a film with this premise so bland and forgettable, outright tedious at times. I'm genuinely shocked. Haven't paid, yet feel scammed. This needs a remake.
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4844140/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 82)