Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (63 Viewers)

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Dunkirk I can understand people thinking that they liked it because it's a Christopher Nolan movie. Anything Nolan makes and anything Tarantino makes are bound to have blind fanatics singing the praises of anything they decide to do.

But Fury? Really? There was so much to dislike about it. I was actually desperately hoping Brad Pitt would rape the young German/Dutch girl. Not because I'm a sadist but just because it might have injected some kind of feeling and reality into the thing. I'm a bit of a war buff but even people without an abiding interest in the subject would have thought that Fury's depiction of WWII was a poultry effort. I recall a scene where the Germans were marching, headed in the direction of this lone tank (just going rogue through western europe, what's that all about?). It was vividly reminiscent the guards in The Wizard of Oz, I swear. It looked cheap, the story was vacuous rubbish. It had no plot, no pathos, no feeling, no humanity and Shia Labeeuufff just killed me with his awful accent.

And let me just say a thing or two about Dunkirk. A bunch of poms standing on a beach trying to organise a few ferries to get them across the channel cannot constitute a two and half hour film. Who were the memorable characters in that movie? Does any moment stick out? What sticks out in my mind is the old man taking his yacht across but to me that was just crass British patriotism. Not that I have beef with patriotism but it was just obvious. The important thing is that neither movie really lamented war. They glorified war and that's dishonest and an abomination in my eyes because it's so boring.

Let me just provide you with some scenes that make films great. The type of scenes those movies completely lacked. Most of them are Jon Cazale because I've got a bit of thing for him at the moment.

I recommend watching the whole film. Kubrics early stuff, from a cinematic point of view, was wayyyy ahead of its time.

And here's the whole of All Quiet on the Western Front. Not the fanciest production, but great acting.

Another oldish but great war movie (a true Australian story) is also on youtube.
Nolan annoys me these days, but Dunkirk was a great cinematic experience. You really have to watch it on the big screen to appreciate it fully.

- - - Updated - - -

As for my favorite war films:
1) The great Escape
2) Inglourious Basterds (not a conventional war film, but I still love it)
3) Saving Private Ryan
4) Life is Beautiful
5) No Man’s Land (not really a favorite since it’s such a poignant and sad film, but I wanted to mention it because it is a work of art.)

Last edited:

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I like the other films you mentioned as well. Agree that Fury is not good. Just disagree with 1917 and Dunkirk.

No need to get all wound up about it.
Sorry. Each to his own :p

- - - Updated - - -

Nolan annoys me these days, but Dunkirk was a great cinematic experience. You really have to watch it on the big screen to appreciate it fully.

- - - Updated - - -

As for my favorite war films:
1) The great Escape
2) Inglourious Basterds (not a conventional war film, but I still love it)
3) Saving Private Ryan
4) Life is Beautiful
5) No Man’s Land (not really a favorite since it’s such a poignant and sad film, but I wanted to mention it because it is a work of art.)
I read an interesting article which resonated with me about Nolan's sound mixing. That his movies, especially lately, have been next to inaudible. That's probably coincided with his insistence on using certain film to shoot on for certain screens etc. I have to say, Interstellar onward, that rings true to me. I understand there's a kind of realism is having a wider range of decibels in a movie but if you can't hear dialogue then you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Would add that Full Metal Jacket and Platoon are also good war films.
Kubrik did this really long casual interview where he talks to this guy about just about everything. Anyway, he mentions that the drill Sargent, R. Lee Ermey, had not one scripted line in that movie. He gave a completely adlib performance. Amazing. He is really funny in a pretty average comedy Evil Woman.

Here's the Kubric interview....

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Has anyone seen Kajaki? Not the best war movie I've seen but it's brutal in that it's a true story and just fucking tragic to watch, absolutely fucked situation.

Not films but band of brothers and the pacific are also great.
Yea seen it. Very tense movie.

Another good war movie I seen recently was The Wall. Same guy that made Edge of Tomorrow.

Don't let the fact that John Cena is in it put you off. Its a dark twisted movie.

Last edited:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion, Joe Taslim as Sub Zero. Perfect as fuck casting. Tadanobu Asano as Raiden. A list level guys. Flawless really.

Rest look like they casted them from video games extras for 40 bucks each. But atleast Kano looks and acts like the real kano lol.

This movie gonna be super cheesy, as it should be.

B3N

Floro Fckin' Flores
May 16, 2010
Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion, Joe Taslim as Sub Zero. Perfect as fuck casting. Tadanobu Asano as Raiden. A list level guys. Flawless really.

Rest look like they casted them from video games extras for 40 bucks each. But atleast Kano looks and acts like the real kano lol.

This movie gonna be super cheesy, as it should be.
To be fair I like the Liu Kang kid, he's pulling off the moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 61)