Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (49 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Can you give a longer review why it sucks. The premise of Favorite looks interesting historic period drama with a good cast.
What I liked about the movie was the three actresses. Yeah, they did really great. But they did great based on their own performances and I couldn't connect with either of the characters nor I care about them at all. Having this movie 2 hours long is simply stupid because it could have lasted for 30 minutes literally and it would lose absolutely nothing. The absurdity in this one was pretty big but not even in the positive way. I simply didn't like anything apart from the acting. It was a torture to watch it. Some even label it as a comedy yet I didn't laugh not even once. Saying it's a historic period drama is a bit too much cause historic ground based on it are way too weak and more shown through the 3 women in the film and their connections -- which I didn't even find interesting. I found it incredibly boring and there was not one thing I was looking forward to see. This director tries way too hard to make an art-ish movie, tries so hard it's overwhelming and in the end it does the opposite and it's presented as horribly ugly, dull and painful experience.

I understand when somebody loves some movies that I don't like but I see the angle they are coming from and I respect it. But there are some movies that make me want to vomit and I'd never understand the positive feedback, so I find it funny and fucking strange. But each to his own.

But you should watch it regardless. Apparently there are bunch of people who like the director and you might even enjoy it. I surely didn't and now I know for a fact that this was the last movie I tried watching from him.

I would have considered to kill myself had I spent the money in the cinema to watch it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Good review man.

I might check it when i have time. Ive only watched 2-3 new movies since last summer.

I heard his next movie will be about Yugoslavia empire.

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
Any good french/italian movies released last year?
Un Couteau Dans Le Coeur.

The aesthetic reminded me of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.
Seriously? Then I have to watch it.

So there is going to be a sequel to The Shining called Dr. Sleep?
Yes, with Ewan McGregor as the protagonist.

This director tries way too hard to make an art-ish movie
This is what all filmmakers do, after all, cinema is art, so it's normal. And most of the directors are pretentious, whether we like them or not.
You've only seen two Lanthimos movies, you haven't even tried, bro :p.

Stop crying and watch Magical Girl.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
This is what all filmmakers do, after all, cinema is art, so it's normal. And most of the directors are pretentious, whether we like them or not.
You've only seen two Lanthimos movies, you haven't even tried, bro :p.

Stop crying and watch Magical Girl.
Yep. However, directors do make art-ish movies successfully, unlike this guy who makes horrible movies.

I'm not crying. Just saying it's horrible. And there's no way I'd watch a 3rd movie of his after seeing The Lobster and this one. Both of those are one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. So no thanks. :p

I'm glad you enjoy him, though. As I love movies generally, it's my passion, I love seeing people who love movies even if it's those that I hate.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
@Völler my dad wanted to watch some movie. I asked what does he want and he said Tarkovsky :D He watched tons of movies throughout his life and it's generally what made me love movies as a kid. We watched a couple of movies every week. Back then I couldn't even read :lol2: but he does have a good taste (most of the time). Even without looking at the Internet he says what's good/bad and it's usually on point. He watched tons of stuff but rarely anything artistic or Tarkovsky-like. I was always afraid of suggesting such movies as I thought he'd stop watching. We have some good TV show and that's where he heard about Tarkovsky (as they talked a lot about him and his creation). And by the way, on one of those episodes, I watched when a guest came and it was a kid who was in Ivan's Childhood so he talked about the movie, casting and Tarkovsky himself.

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
Any horror fans here?

Just watched the Autopsy of Jane Doe. It's been ages since a horror movie actually scared me.
Horror fan here!

I didn't see that movie yet, is it really that good?
The only movie I really felt afraid was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but although it sounds contradictory, it's not important for me to feel afraid.

thought it was more gross than scary
More eschatological/grossy than Nekromantik, Schramm or A Serbian Film?

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Horror fan here!

I didn't see that movie yet, is it really that good?
The only movie I really felt afraid was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but although it sounds contradictory, it's not important for me to feel afraid.

More eschatological/grossy than Nekromantik, Schramm or A Serbian Film?
If you aren't grossed out by human organs and blood, you'll definitely enjoy the movie.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Here!

Can't remember a lot of horror movies that actually scared me (not counting cheap jump scares). Mostly classics like The Exorcist and Shining.

Btw. The 2nd season of Exorcist is on Amazon. Thank me later @Klovn ;)
I watched the first season, or more accurately the first season of the show played on my TV while i watched my phone? Was it good? How much did i like it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)