Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (88 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Best films of 2018 for me:

1)Cold War
2)Shoplifters
3)The Guilty
4)Ash is the Purest White
5)Edge of the Knife
6)Jinpa
7)The Favourite
8)An Elephant Sitting Still
9)Burning
10)Roma

Others worth watching:

Long Day's Journey into Night
Shadow
The Wild Pear Tree
Transit
The Wolf House
The Dead and the Others
Ruben Brandt, Collector
The Sister's Brothers
Sunset
The Old Man and the Gun
The Third Murder
Western
I barely seen much films last year, I'm tempted to work my way through this list (if piratebay still working lol).

Tho I'm most tempted to start with Leave No trace mentioned by Völler, because anything similar to an instant favourite in Captain fantastic cant be ignored.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I barely seen much films last year, I'm tempted to work my way through this list (if piratebay still working lol).

Tho I'm most tempted to start with Leave No trace mentioned by Völler, because anything similar to an instant favourite in Captain fantastic cant be ignored.

It’s good. I think Captain Fantastic was better, but it should be on my list of good films worth watching for the year.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

I think you'll like Leave No Trace surely if you liked Captain Fantastic. It's really good eventhough CF was a bit better.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Leave No Trace was fantastic. I did a double feature with that and Hell or High Water a few weeks back. Ben Foster is one of the most underrated actors of our time.
:tup:

Both were great performances.

He made an unfortunate career choice in participating in that Warcraft movie. Shit like that leaves a lasting impression and never a good one.

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
I have yet to watch some 2018 movies that interest me, so I don't have "my list". But I just saw Cold War, and I definitely will not put it on that list.
Technically there is nothing to reproach, it's perfect. But the story...it bothers me when a director is so lazy and tries to convince the viewer that with a single glance it's enough for the protagonists to be the love of their lives (after a couple of scenes they were like "I can't live without you", wtf). It seems so implausible to me that it's impossible to empathize with them, and I didn't. I haven't empathized or connected with the love story at any time. I understand that someone is instantly captivated by another person, but love is a major word. I like a love story to be told progressively, more contemplatively.
And it's not just implausible, it's a pretty trite romance, and the movie only offers that, nothing new. So it has no content for me, empty. Or I'm insensitive.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Dekalog as one of the best tv shows ever made.

And I watched Au revoir les enfants.

But I had a pause on movies. I watch A Series of Unfortunate Events. But I miss seeing movies. I will try to get back on them and put less effort into books as I can't stop reading over the past month.

But I did watch Den skyldige and I loved it. It's a great movie :tup: another example of how you don't need a huge budget in order to make the gem shining.
Yeah, it's incredible how you can make a film about a man talking on the phone work. It's similar to Locke in that way, but even better. :D

I knew you'd love Dekalog. Did you get around to The Salt of the Earth?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I forgot First Reformed on my list. Definitely deserves a spot near the top.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Yeah, it's incredible how you can make a film about a man talking on the phone work. It's similar to Locke in that way, but even better. :D

I knew you'd love Dekalog. Did you get around to The Salt of the Earth?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I forgot First Reformed on my list. Definitely deserves a spot near the top.
Nope! Still postponing to see it. Too many things on the "I'll watch it next" list. :p

--

I also watched Cold War and I liked it. Can't really say it's groundbreaking movie because it isn't but it's a good one in my books. Totally loved how they handled the camera and photography in the movie, it was really brilliant and plenty of those shots will surely stay immortal. I also think it's more than a blank love story. A struggle and survival through a collapse that wasn't shown in the first plan. Plenty of fuck ups on a personal level that people usually do in their own free will felt like it was real and shown in a minimalistic way. I also enjoyed the music and laughed when I unexpectedly saw Yugoslavia and hear our lingo.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Nope! Still postponing to see it. Too many things on the "I'll watch it next" list. :p

--

I also watched Cold War and I liked it. Can't really say it's groundbreaking movie because it isn't but it's a good one in my books. Totally loved how they handled the camera and photography in the movie, it was really brilliant and plenty of those shots will surely stay immortal. I also think it's more than a blank love story. A struggle and survival through a collapse that wasn't shown in the first plan. Plenty of fuck ups on a personal level that people usually do in their own free will felt like it was real and shown in a minimalistic way. I also enjoyed the music and laughed when I unexpectedly saw Yugoslavia and hear our lingo.
Agree with you here. Not a masterpiece, but a good film. The story was purposefully stark and minimalistic imo. It was a little too barebones at times and got a little silly once or twice, but it wasn’t solely a blank or trite love story.

Still, the cinematography and soundtrack were the best aspects of it. Both were fantastic.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Can anyone explain how a mediocre Marvel film gets 6 Oscar nominations including Best Picture? :jenna:
Sure, I can.

1) Oscar means shit and most of the time it's horribe movies that get nominated. It's always blockbusters and hyped movies with stars in it, yet they are blank and usually total crap that shouldn't even be nominated, let alone win something.

2) People are stupid as fuck and movies nowadays are made to satisfy an average Joe. Average joe wants lots of special effects and wants fun. Fun can be defined in a ton of different ways but usually it's nothing to stress your brain on and something very stupid (most of the time without subtitles) so they can relax and hit the play button.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
What's more interesting :tuttosport: ...

Nolan's status:

Hopefully it's his new movie that comes out next year because those numbers make 17.07.2020. Or it's 270-1-072 same numbers. Or it's a bio-pic. Or ... ffs, I don't care, just make a new fucking movie already.

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
Agree with you here. Not a masterpiece, but a good film. The story was purposefully stark and minimalistic imo. It was a little too barebones at times and got a little silly once or twice, but it wasn’t solely a blank or trite love story.

Still, the cinematography and soundtrack were the best aspects of it. Both were fantastic.
As I said, all the technical aspect is perfect, for me it's failed in its content. I understand that it's counted in a minimalist/cold way, I like that a lot, and the actors are great, but the love story still seems false to me. Their instantaneous love and their intense and hysterical behavior typical of teenagers. I don't buy it.

Can anyone explain how a mediocre Marvel film gets 6 Oscar nominations including Best Picture? :jenna:
It's very simple: meet the black and feminist quota.

Oscars are shit, yes, but last year (well, I mean the 2017 cinema) was hopeful. Dunkirk, CMBYN, Phantom Thread, Three Billboards...all those films are incredible and beautiful, each in its own way, authentic masterpieces. The bad thing is that Shape of Water won, lol.
And the only year a movie was nominated that approached the horror genre (although it was more a satire). But shit, it was just for the #oscarssowhite. The movie was crap.
Someday I hope that people stop having prejudices with the horror genre, not all of them are jumpscare films. Hereditary should be nominated this year, for example, but instead we have Marvel and the Mercury biopic :baus:.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Well, get around to it. :p

What I liked about it, besides its obvious technical feats, is the fact that it's up to us to fill the gaps in the story. Pawlikowski only shows parts of the plot, and it's up to us to figure out the rest. And for someone like Pawlikowski who isn't interested in conventional filmmaking, I thought this was a much warmer and relatable film compared to Ida.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Well, get around to it. :p

What I liked about it, besides its obvious technical feats, is the fact that it's up to us to fill the gaps in the story. Pawlikowski only shows parts of the plot, and it's up to us to figure out the rest. And for someone like Pawlikowski who isn't interested in conventional filmmaking, I thought this was a much warmer and relatable film compared to Ida.
Yeah, I always like that. Any other moves like that to recommend?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 82)