Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (31 Viewers)

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
Was reading some reviews and TIFF seems packed with good movies . Beasts of no nation is getting exellent reviews :tuttosport: . Read a lot of bullshit to good news these days , mcadams cast in doctor strange :tuttosport: , the new kong movie and godzilla 2 will be in a shared universe and will be a triology (kong must be big as a mountain to make this work seeing the godzilla of the last movie) , Ridley promised that prometheus 2 will have answers regarding everything , harrelson will be the villain in the new apes movie :tuttosport: . Both jason statham and denzel washington will do work for tv . Washingtons project with HBO looks great . And the mist is also getting a tv series adaption , personally liked the movie and think that with the right writers this could be great .

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
Looking forwars to this Macbeth film with Michael Fassbender has some brilliant reviews.
The only problem I have with that is that it seems to have kept the full shekspirian dialogue . I hate it . I remember that it was the only reason why I quit Coriolanus after 10 minutes of watching .

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
That will most likely get on my nerves too i wasnt able to finish corniolanus either. The directer seems promising Snowdogs was good and he is to direct the Assasins Creed Movie.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Come And See (Idi I Imotri) is probably the most devastating movie I've ever watched. Don't think that any other film/television/whatever ever had this kind of impact on me. Incredibly and absolutely horrifying at the same time.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Come And See is probably the most devastating movie I've ever watched. Don't think that any other film/television/whatever ever had this kind of impact on me. Incredibly and absolutely horrifying at the same time.
Wow, that's great. It truly is an incredible film.

The scene in the beginning where he's looking for his family in the village is so heartbreaking. You really get shivers down your spine when you see the whole fucking village in a pile behind the house. Especially because Flyora doesn't see it and continues to look. :sad:

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Wow, that's great. It truly is an incredible film.

The scene in the beginning where he's looking for his family in the village is so heartbreaking. You really get shivers down your spine when you see the whole fucking village in a pile behind the house. Especially because Flyora doesn't see it and continues to look. :sad:
That was the moment where things got really real. I think it's so incredibly effective for me because it's approached in a manner completely differently than how I'd think that generic hollywood filmmaking would have done the scene. There's not buildup, the camera isn't acting as if it's some sort of dramatic reveal, no suspensful music building up to it so you can prepare yourself...the camera just turns, you see the bodies for a second, and then it turns away as if nothing out of the ordinary happened. This really hits home so effectively.

In general, I think the centerpiece long scene of the village being completely eradicated is so powerful because the director takes a step back and doesn't even seem to influence what's happening, there's no real soundtrack, it's shot in a very naturalistic style. Even Flyora isn't really present anymore.

I also admire how the movie was lacking any substantial Soviet patriotism or glorification, especially seeing as it was shot to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the victory against Germany as I read later. Of course you can interpret it as pro-soviet, but Klimov never goes out of his way to create any heroism or anything like that, the parts that can be seen as pro-soviet are simply down to history tbh. Even the execution of the German soldiers and collaborators at the end to me deliberately lacked any sort sense of grandeur or heroic revenge. With Flyora shooting at Hitler's life in reverse I was a bit worried while watching it, suspected it was a actually a bit of propaganda at first, but that made the actual end of the montage even more powerful.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
That was the moment where things got really real. I think it's so incredibly effective for me because it's approached in a manner completely differently than how I'd think that generic hollywood filmmaking would have done the scene. There's not buildup, the camera isn't acting as if it's some sort of dramatic reveal, no suspensful music building up to it so you can prepare yourself...the camera just turns, you see the bodies for a second, and then it turns away as if nothing out of the ordinary happened. This really hits home so effectively.
I think that's a very accurate analysis. The fact that Flyora isn't directly confronted with the deaths, but continues to look just adds to the absurdism of the whole thing. We're not only affected because the all the villagers are dead, but also because we know that it's only a matter of time before Flyora finds out himself. We don't want to see his hope get crushed.

I also admire how the movie was lacking any substantial Soviet patriotism or glorification, especially seeing as it was shot to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the victory against Germany as I read later. Of course you can interpret it as pro-soviet, but Klimov never goes out of his way to create any heroism or anything like that, the parts that can be seen as pro-soviet are simply down to history tbh. Even the execution of the German soldiers and collaborators at the end to me deliberately lacked any sort sense of grandeur or heroic revenge. With Flyora shooting at Hitler's life in reverse I was a bit worried while watching it, suspected it was a actually a bit of propaganda at first, but that made the actual end of the montage even more powerful.
It's definitely a one-sided film, but since we're watching the world through the eyes of a child anything else would be strange. Sure, for us it might be strange that every single German soldier, without any exception, is thoroughly evil, but it's only natural that Flyora thinks so.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of war movies: I recently saw Kajaki aka Kilo Bravo Two. It's about a group of soldiers trapped in a minefield in Afghanistan. It's nerve-wracking as hell to see the soldiers navigate the minefield since a single wrong step will result in lost body parts. It's hyperrealistic and there's not a single flesh wound that isn't shown up close. Really intense and highly recommended.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
@Völler. Going to see this on the 1st of October at VIFF just for you:

Picked up a 30 film pass yesterday, and selected about 20 films to see so far. Most excited for:

...and all 3 parts of this:

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I think that's a very accurate analysis. The fact that Flyora isn't directly confronted with the deaths, but continues to look just adds to the absurdism of the whole thing. We're not only affected because the all the villagers are dead, but also because we know that it's only a matter of time before Flyora finds out himself. We don't want to see his hope get crushed.

It's definitely a one-sided film, but since we're watching the world through the eyes of a child anything else would be strange. Sure, for us it might be strange that every single German soldier, without any exception, is thoroughly evil, but it's only natural that Flyora thinks so.
But seriously, I can't compare it to any other movie I've ever seen in that I love that I've watched it, but on the same time really don't want to see it again because it's so distressing & horrifying.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I watched Tomorrowland last night. Well, I wouldn't say I watched it. More like I started to watch it but then did other things as it made for decent background noise. Which is all it's good for. It was pretty terrible.

Cool idea but horrid execution.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I know a lot of people will disagree and i just want to know why. What is the big deal about Gary Oldman? He has never blew me away in any movie. Good actor yes havent anything negative to say but im yet to see greatness in him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)