Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (58 Viewers)

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
I think I've said it in this thread before, but I'm not even a big Alien fan, but I do recognize the film is a Sci-fi masterpiece. There are quite a number of incredibly dated looking films from that 60s and 70s era in the sci-fi realm, but one things they do have is originality, imagination, fascinating characters, and ideas that are actually interesting if one strips away all else. Today, we're dazzled by CGI and FX and for the most part seem willing to overlook the shit that tries to pass for a storyline underneath, and the half-baked plots and ideas used. The less said about dialogue, the better.

That period was home to such fascinating movements in the arts. The New Wave/Nouvelle Vague movements in film in that era were fascinating. The French with Godard, Truffaut, Resnais, etc; the Japanese with Oshima, Imamura, Teshigahara, etc; the Czechs with Jires, Nemec, Svankmajer, etc; New Hollywood with its plethora of good directors.

I don't think Hollywood has ever seen such a innovative and progressive era as that late 1960s to early 1980s New Hollywood era. So many brilliant young directors. And mostly working within the studio system. The major studios gave them freedom and creative license in an effort to resonate with the young people of the day, they overlooked the censorship model, and heavily stripped down studio cuts/ censorship of films, they allowed the transgressive to enter the cinema again for the first time since basically German Expressionism. And it's magnificent to see what followed from it.

And then Heaven's Gate happened. The knee-jerk was ridiculous. But the fact it almost drove a major studio out of business was considered justification. But if you watch the Director's Cut released in 2013, at 216 minutes, as opposed to the original 150 minute clipped together highlight version of the film that a retarded studio and nervous producers insisted upon, it's night and day. That studio deserved bankruptcy for destroying Cimino's vision of the film and butchering it with that heavily cut release. Even worse, in so doing they ended an entire era of progressive and innovative filmmaking in the Hollywood studio system, and destroyed Cimino's and Kristofferson's careers, and almost managed to do the same with Bridges.

The full director's cut is a brilliant film and a masterpiece of the Western Epic genre. Here's a good read on it. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9a7d72e0-f8fd-11e2-86e1-00144feabdc0.html#slide0
:tup:

Buy on AliExpress.com

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
What's great from that discussion between CK and Dolphlover is the great movie names I discovered. :weee:
:hi:

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember who asked what were our favorite movies last year and i couldn't come up with anything. But i just remembered one that deserves to be mentioned and probably my top favorite which was Under The Skin.

Again it's not a movie for everybody and you might hate it if you can't handle slow paced build up Kubrick style. I thought it was brilliant in every way.

I see Jonathan Glazer as one of the younger directors with huge potential and can't wait for more of his work. Ps. for those who remember, he directed Karma Police by Radiohead back in 97'. That was such a cool video in a time when music videos mattered.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
:shocked:

I mean it's no masterpiece, but imaginative, and with its complexity in some ways unique.

- - - Updated - - -

:hi:

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember who asked what were our favorite movies last year and i couldn't come up with anything. But i just remembered one that deserves to be mentioned and probably my top favorite which was Under The Skin.
Just got it recommened to me two days ago, but kinda got put off by the negative reviews. But I guess it's a little bit "love it or hate it", so I'm defenitely gonna try it later.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013

I mean it's no masterpiece, but imaginative, and with its complexity in some ways unique.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got it recommened to me two days ago, but kinda got put off by the negative reviews. But I guess it's a little bit "love it or hate it", so I'm defenitely gonna try it later.
It's definitely a love it or hate it. :agree:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

I don't mind mind-fuck movies, in fact I love those. But Primer was just so repulsive. Maybe it was the fact that they used too many unfamiliar terms, but then again, I highly doubt that. I didn't even like how it was filmed. It did give a sign of realistic shooting but it was just so horrible for me. Thank God it didn't last for 2 hours cause I'd probably gauge my eyes out. It felt like a good idea was given to wrong people. I really disliked it and it felt like a torture lol..

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
Fair enough. I can see how it could turn into a torture for some people. But you gotta understand from a Sci-fi point of view it was great because it was like a return to the world of ideas instead of just visual impact.

Here's a tip you probably won't follow; nobody understands it the first time. That's what mindfuck movies are for, to keep you wondering and guessing.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Fair enough. I can see how it could turn into a torture for some people. But you gotta understand from a Sci-fi point of view it was great because it was like a return to the world of ideas instead of just visual impact.

Here's a tip you probably won't follow; nobody understands it the first time. That's what mindfuck movies are for, to keep you wondering and guessing.
:tup:

I'm not sure I even understand it 100% now, but that's the beauty of the movie imo. Although I can see how it's style can turn some people off. It's not much in terms of styilstics, characters or dialogue, but instead entirely driven by its plot and concept.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
I'm gonna have to watch it again lol. So his wife never died?
His wife killed herself years before he went to do his mission. What you see at the end is the recreation of earth by those being(s) he meet at the station. Why it had flaws (raining inside the house). I suggest you research around, there are many different interpretations about it and then watch it again. It's more rewarding that way

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Did you like it? I didn't watch it.

I was gonna watch it last night but I opted for Primer in the last minute :sergio:
It was great, but for some reason I have a feeling the sequel will ruin it.
@CrimsonianKing, thoughts?

His wife killed herself years before he went to do his mission. What you see at the end is the recreation of earth by those being(s) he meet at the station. Why it had flaws (raining inside the house). I suggest you research around, there are many different interpretations about it and then watch it again. It's more rewarding that way
Oh snap!

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
What's great from that discussion between CK and Dolphlover is the great movie names I discovered. :weee:
Which oens? :D
@Völler - What do you think about 'Monsters'?
I haven't watched it. That's probably a mistake.
I'm not sure I've understood Solaris' ending.

And now I finished Alien. Shall I watch the whole sequel?
Did you watch the original or the American remake of Solaris? :D

Yes, you should watch Aliens (the second one). Though bear in mind that's it's not a horror film like the first one, but an action film. It's good, but nowhere as memorable as the first one imo. But I know a few who prefer the second one. Avoid the third and forth one like the plague. I know Fincher directed the third, but it's so bad.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
The first Alien movie was by far the best. The atmosphere, vibe and acting are unparalleled. The sequel has many mindless action moments and the usual American 80's macho BS acting you'd see in every action movie then.

It's still good but bear in mind, it's a different approach. All in all, it's paramount you watch it if you want to understand the Alien world a little more.

- - - Updated - - -

Monsters was decent. I think it's worth watching when you have time to kill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 54)