Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (39 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Anyone watched In Order of Disappearance yet? It looks pretty entertaining... 7.5 on IMDB and 85% on RT. I've always like Stellan Skarsgard too.
Looks great :D

Has anyone seen A pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence? Not sure if I should go see it tomorrow, looks like a movie that's either really great or awful. What's interesting is that the English reviews are all very positive, while the German ones usually don't give it more than 5-6/10.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Looks great :D

Has anyone seen A pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence? Not sure if I should go see it tomorrow, looks like a movie that's either really great or awful. What's interesting is that the English reviews are all very positive, while the German ones usually don't give it more than 5-6/10.
Have you seen the two previous films in the trilogy? Songs From the Second Floor and You, The Living? His films are often filled with semi-disconnected vignettes and short sketches that examine life and living. A little odd at times, some surreal moments, but not to the point of being surrealist. Humorous moments, mostly dark, a little tragic at times.

I liked the film. Probably a top 5 film of the year for me. But I also liked his previous two in the trilogy. This one won the Golden Lion at Venice, and seems to generally be a favourite of critics... It's certainly an interesting watch.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Have you seen the two previous films in the trilogy? Songs From the Second Floor and You, The Living? His films are often filled with semi-disconnected vignettes and short sketches that examine life and living. A little odd at times, some surreal moments, but not to the point of being surrealist. Humorous moments, mostly dark, a little tragic at times.

I liked the film. Probably a top 5 film of the year for me. But I also liked his previous two in the trilogy. This one won the Golden Lion at Venice, and seems to generally be a favourite of critics... It's certainly an interesting watch.
I honestly didn't even know that there were two previous films :D I never read reviews or in general too much about a film beforehand, gives away way too much information for me and I like to go in watching being relatively unaware of the films actual content (just take a quick glance over the scores, if they're all negative I usually don't bother watching unless someone recommends it to me or something).

Is it a "real" trilogy, where I won't be able to understand it properly without having watched the previous ones or something like the Cornetto trilogy?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I honestly didn't even know that there were two previous films :D I never read reviews or in general too much about a film beforehand, gives away way too much information for me and I like to go in watching being relatively unaware of the films actual content (just take a quick glance over the scores, if they're all negative I usually don't bother watching unless someone recommends it to me or something).

Is it a "real" trilogy, where I won't be able to understand it properly without having watched the previous ones or something like the Cornetto trilogy?
You don't need to watch the first films at all, to understand properly. There is a thematic build-up but one that takes careful and thorough watching of all three films in a row to even notice. I watched the second, before the first and didn't suffer for it. So in that sense, just like the Cornetto trilogy. In all other ways, nothing alike :D

If you like the film, I'd highly recommend a look at the previous 2.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
You don't need to watch the first films at all, to understand properly. There is a thematic build-up but one that takes careful and thorough watching of all three films in a row to even notice. I watched the second, before the first and didn't suffer for it. So in that sense, just like the Cornetto trilogy. In all other ways, nothing alike :D

If you like the film, I'd highly recommend a look at the previous 2.
Thanks, sounds like a movie I'll enjoy :tup:

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
It's extremely mediocre, 5/10.

Set's out to an epic, complex Sci-fi movie and fails completely at that. What perhaps remains are a few great visuals and a great performance by Fassbender.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 36)