Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (194 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
you're right i confused it with MI5, though mcquarrie is also one of the writers for edge of tomorrow
Apologize.

- - - Updated - - -

Garbage.

Horrible acting, horrible accent, sex scenes makes you go to sleep. You gotta be be mentally ill to like this movie.

Lars von Trier has gone senile.
What's your favorite Trier film?

- - - Updated - - -

I watched it at the Grand Theatre shortly after the premiere. It kept me interested throughout.
You like fly fishing?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
of course it's awesome, it's a $#@!in pynchon
One of Pynchon's weaker works, albeit a rather fun one. It certainly isn't ridiculously complex and obscure like Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon, Against The Day... which would be my three favourites of his :p It's likely the most pure and light fun one might have in a Pynchon novel (discounting Bleeding Edge which really is crap), which is why it's being adapted into a film. Regardless, I'm pretty psyched to see it.

It's too bad Tarkovsky is dead. I can't even imagine the brilliance of a Tarkovsky-style adaptation of Gravity's Rainbow. In reality, it's probably not ever going to see the silver screen. Who could direct it, though? Today?

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
One of Pynchon's weaker works, albeit a rather fun one. It certainly isn't ridiculously complex and obscure like Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon, Against The Day... which would be my three favourites of his :p It's likely the most pure and light fun one might have in a Pynchon novel (discounting Bleeding Edge which really is crap), which is why it's being adapted into a film. Regardless, I'm pretty psyched to see it.

It's too bad Tarkovsky is dead. I can't even imagine the brilliance of a Tarkovsky-style adaptation of Gravity's Rainbow. In reality, it's probably not ever going to see the silver screen. Who could direct it, though? Today?
you enjoyed gravity's rainbow? didnt figure you for a liar :p just kidding, while i liked the narrative and the characters, the constant obscure words/references made it by far the hardest book to read in my life lol

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
you enjoyed gravity's rainbow? didnt figure you for a liar :p just kidding, while i liked the narrative and the characters, the constant obscure words/references made it by far the hardest book to read in my life lol
:lol:

I've read it a several times over the years... When I was 17, didn't understand a thing, and despised it. Now, after reading it four times, I think I understand it to a greater degree and love the fractured narrative, and obscure forking pathways that appear a half-dozen times a page. It's a wonderful avenue into to so many realms. Still, it's an absurdly difficult book to read (right up there with Finnegan's Wake :lol:)

I think I like Against the Day best though. It's not quite so obscure, and it's so bloody entertaining, and so ridiculous and surreal. I suppose postmodern is the word, though I've always hated the term. I so want this one to be made into some crazy big budget film. The pastiche/patchwork of characters and stories, across the late 19th and early 20th century would be amazing on film. It'd take about 12 hours of film time (a la Lord of the Rings extended editions), and an insane budget, but man, it'd be epic.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
:lol:

I've read it a several times over the years... When I was 17, didn't understand a thing, and despised it. Now, after reading it four times, I think I understand it to a greater degree and love the fractured narrative, and obscure forking pathways that appear a half-dozen times a page. It's a wonderful avenue into to so many realms. Still, it's an absurdly difficult book to read (right up there with Finnegan's Wake :lol:)

I think I like Against the Day best though. It's not quite so obscure, and it's so bloody entertaining, and so ridiculous and surreal. I suppose postmodern is the word, though I've always hated the term. I so want this one to be made into some crazy big budget film. The pastiche/patchwork of characters and stories, across the late 19th and early 20th century would be amazing on film. It'd take about 12 hours of film time (a la Lord of the Rings extended editions), and an insane budget, but man, it'd be epic.
do it! :p

but really, we almost have the same taste in books, id love to see your top 50 books list

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - Nothing special although it had some good moments

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Animations are pretty great but I liked the first part more

The Secret in Their Eyes - I was pleasantly surprised with this one, it's pretty damn great :tup:

Captain America I and II - First part is pretty much crap with many yuck scenes (6/10). Second part was better but I don't think it's great or anything, just decent (7/10)

The Wind Rises - Mixed feelings about this one, it's great and average at the same time. Definitely not top 4 of Miyazaki, though

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Visually stunning, great effects. My expectations were pretty low for this, I thought it'd be pure crap, but it was solid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 187)