Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (107 Viewers)

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
:D i watched it, and its interesting to watch for sure however there is a sense of a propaganda is being shoved down your throat. there are some extremely fake moments whether on the revolutions side, or the mb side. it does a super good job at portraying the army as the biggest evil there is, but at that period the military council was pretty horrible. all in all its a very interesting movie, and there are many scenes that touch you, but i just feel some parts are way too dramatized for it to sell.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
:D i watched it, and its interesting to watch for sure however there is a sense of a propaganda is being shoved down your throat. there are some extremely fake moments whether on the revolutions side, or the mb side. it does a super good job at portraying the army as the biggest evil there is, but at that period the military council was pretty horrible. all in all its a very interesting movie, and there are many scenes that touch you, but i just feel some parts are way too dramatized for it to sell.
Cool! I just watched it, and thought it was quite good. Not that it really tells anything new, but it's a quite nice summary of the event viewed from the revolutionaries' point of view. But of course I don't know the details of the revolution well enough to judge what is dramatized. Do you have any specific scenes in mind that you felt were fake?

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Cool! I just watched it, and thought it was quite good. Not that it really tells anything new, but it's a quite nice summary of the event viewed from the revolutionaries' point of view. But of course I don't know the details of the revolution well enough to judge what is dramatized. Do you have any specific scenes in mind that you felt were fake?
there is a scene where the star of "the kite runner" meets a woman who is a political writer and she talks with slang that really is too low for some one with a good education let a lone of an intellectual level.

i thought the girl activist who i assure you i never heard off!!! but some how is in the center of all events pushes it too far when she tries to bring her eyes to tear when one of the guys is detained by the army ( the guy in question is ramy essam also known as the revolution singer)

and lastly but not least towards the end when they bring on the spot light on the last sit in held by the muslim brotherhood!! that phone call feels soo fake its impossible. although it shows you how the entire thing operates.

if you noticed and this caught my eyes when i paid a lot of attention to detail, but did you notice how the poor citizen called ahmed is nearly always involved in any dangerous encounter whether with the police or army?? and the "activists" who are like khaled abudallah ( the star of the kite runner) who i understand come back to Egypt after living there entire life abroad with dreams of bringing all the good he grew up in back to his home country, speaks all the big words but is nearly always either running and getting saved with out as much as a scratch on his body, or sitting in a cozy room in one of the near by buildings just fiddling with his computer while the poor kid called ahmed risks his life?? this just summarizes everything wrong with the Egyptian revolution in my opinion. the elites, and the middle class are willing to preach for democracy and what not quite openly because quite simply they can afford surviving when they shit hits the fan, while the poor are quite simple sacrificed simply because they have nothing to lose!! the same applies with the muslim brotherhood, there top leaders rally them like sheep and the poor mb members who are in the group for the social benefits they get are the ones who pay the price!! then when the poor Egyptian citizen chooses the only side in the equation that understands how the Egyptian personality works ( this is the army, so all you want about them, how corrupt they might be, or how power grabbing they are they are the only side that knows how the Egyptian brain works and its evident by how much people want them) he is called a slave of the boot by the very elites, and middle class who don't shy from sacrificing him or her for a la la la land they dream off. ( dont get me wrong i want my country to be great just like any one but if i don't have a clear cut plan, and several options i cant risk the life of others, and an entire nation so ic an have a nation of Germany's level!! with out addressing the main cause of all the bad things we suffer from and that happen to lead us to where we are today and thats education my dear friend.

sorry for the long reply i just thought i'd shed a light on what i really disliked about this movie so you understand my stance on it. on the artistic level its very entertaining but i feel on the fact telling front it lacks.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
sorry for the long reply i just thought i'd shed a light on what i really disliked about this movie so you understand my stance on it. on the artistic level its very entertaining but i feel on the fact telling front it lacks.
No need to apologize! I tagged you because I wanted your view on it. Just let it all flow out. :D

there is a scene where the star of "the kite runner" meets a woman who is a political writer and she talks with slang that really is too low for some one with a good education let a lone of an intellectual level.

i thought the girl activist who i assure you i never heard off!!! but some how is in the center of all events pushes it too far when she tries to bring her eyes to tear when one of the guys is detained by the army ( the guy in question is ramy essam also known as the revolution singer)

and lastly but not least towards the end when they bring on the spot light on the last sit in held by the muslim brotherhood!! that phone call feels soo fake its impossible. although it shows you how the entire thing operates.
Thanks for the insight. I would never have picked up stuff like this myself! :tup:

if you noticed and this caught my eyes when i paid a lot of attention to detail, but did you notice how the poor citizen called ahmed is nearly always involved in any dangerous encounter whether with the police or army?? and the "activists" who are like khaled abudallah ( the star of the kite runner) who i understand come back to Egypt after living there entire life abroad with dreams of bringing all the good he grew up in back to his home country, speaks all the big words but is nearly always either running and getting saved with out as much as a scratch on his body, or sitting in a cozy room in one of the near by buildings just fiddling with his computer while the poor kid called ahmed risks his life?? this just summarizes everything wrong with the Egyptian revolution in my opinion. the elites, and the middle class are willing to preach for democracy and what not quite openly because quite simply they can afford surviving when they shit hits the fan, while the poor are quite simple sacrificed simply because they have nothing to lose!!
I definitely see where you are coming from. Unfortunately, the poor are almost always the first to get affected. Regarding, Khalid Abdalla you have a good point. His actions don't justify his big role in the documentary. But at the same time he's well-spoken and has a lot of good points. For example in the Skype conversation with his father regarding that the revolution is for the poor. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if he didn't deserve such a central part in the documentary, his presence made the film work a lot better. And in the end that might also mean more consciousness of what's going on in Egypt. I don't know if you are able to follow my way of thinking?

with out addressing the main cause of all the bad things we suffer from and that happen to lead us to where we are today and thats education my dear friend.
:tup:

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
No need to apologize! I tagged you because I wanted your view on it. Just let it all flow out. :D

Thanks for the insight. I would never have picked up stuff like this myself! :tup:

I definitely see where you are coming from. Unfortunately, the poor are almost always the first to get affected. Regarding, Khalid Abdalla you have a good point. His actions don't justify his big role in the documentary. But at the same time he's well-spoken and has a lot of good points. For example in the Skype conversation with his father regarding that the revolution is for the poor. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if he didn't deserve such a central part in the documentary, his presence made the film work a lot better. And in the end that might also mean more consciousness of what's going on in Egypt. I don't know if you are able to follow my way of thinking?

:tup:
its a fair point, and i actually agree with it. the fact he is in it actually gives it more weight.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Instead of watching teenage lesbo movies, Sheik, you should watch 'Moon'.
I'm up wit dat. :tup:

I saw Gravity last night finally. I think I liked Moon better. Even if Sandra Bullock doesn't look too shabby in it, Gravity has twice as many main characters as Moon, and the additional said character is essentially Buzz Lightyear.

But Gravity is a good flick.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013

I saw Gravity last night finally. I think I liked Moon better. Even if Sandra Bullock doesn't look too shabby in it, Gravity has twice as many main characters as Moon, and the additional said character is essentially Buzz Lightyear.

I'm pretty excited for Gravity, haven't seen it yet.

Moon is already a classic.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Did you see it in 3D?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I don't know what to watch. I was searching for so much that I lost the desire to watch anything lol.

Thinking like 'not that one, it's too long' turned out to be the worst thing ever, cause I spent like 1h just looking at titles, I could have watched 3h long movie easily :cry:

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I don't know what to watch. I was searching for so much that I lost the desire to watch anything lol.

Thinking like 'not that one, it's too long' turned out to be the worst thing ever, cause I spent like 1h just looking at titles, I could have watched 3h long movie easily :cry:
Story of my life, really. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 103)