Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (195 Viewers)

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Just watched Prometheus.
Ok 3D was such a waste,just watch it in 2D or just normal viewing is fine.
As for the film,I am a little disappointed,I think I was expecting too much from it,but its still a great movie especially if you like Sci-fi, very few action scenes though.
The other thing,I wanted to see more Guy Pearce and Charlize,Fassbender was very good.
All in all,take a look at it,if you fancy the sci fi genre,. 7.5/10 for me
100%:tup:
Def not deserves the 3D, this film is not optimized for this, low depth of vision and no special scenes made for 3D depth.
I could say that i am a massive fan of the series, i grew up with it.
Scott and Cameron wrote history with them, for the whole action/sci fi genre.
It was a far more realistic and dark approach than the talking bipods of star wars and star trekk.
And since they were so original, every new film/saga was bound to be compared with them and immitate elements from those films, rendering them cheap copies in my eyes.

We spend 2 decades of speculation on the space jokeys.
I remember this was my first off topic discussion in juventuz, with members long gone...
I would never guess that Scott and ginger would come up with ancient Greek sculpures http://www.google.gr/imgres?start=574&hl=el&sa=X&biw=1920&bih=947&addh=36&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=lDcpXBXE4_JKXM:&imgrefurl=http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%25CE%259A%25CE%25BF%25CF%258D%25CF%2581%25CE%25BF%25CF%2582_%25CE%25B5%25CE%25BD_%25CF%2580%25CF%2581%25CE%25BF%25CE%25BC%25CE%25AC%25CF%2587%25CE%25BF%25CE%25B9%25CF%2582&docid=wJyjYaSHZAaifM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Kouros_anavissos2.jpg/250px-Kouros_anavissos2.jpg&w=250&h=622&ei=uV_fT4HHLczQ4QTI6ZHECg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=360&vpy=303&dur=4324&hovh=354&hovw=142&tx=117&ty=206&sig=108697956708852193974&page=11&tbnh=139&tbnw=71&ndsp=58&ved=1t:429,r:41,s:574,i:39 as the supreme beings, http://assets.sport.ro/assets/procinema/2012/06/18/image_galleries/26599/cum-a-ajuns-prometheus-extraterestrul-care-a-cucerit-inimile-a-milioane-de-oameni-vezi-imagini-incredibile_11.jpgunder those strange breathing masks and half rotten exoskeletons...
Anyways, this film had substance in a level that can be shared only with the first one.
We have seen so much, the genre has travelled so far, its nearly impossible to come up with a vision that can be as unique and compelling as the very first film.
But for the guys of my generation, that treats this series as the bood point, this film was bund to have a special place in our hearts and minds.
I felt strange, after the film, neither really dissapointed or excited. The first objective though i could make was that it was not good as a 3D film.
And then that i need more time to think this through, because there is obviously more than what it hits they eye with the first glance.
Just like was the case with the very first one.

I ll wait for the cutted scenes and i will def second the recently announced second, but i did not reccomend it to anyone yet...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Recently watched two Charlie Kaufman films - Being John Malkovich and Adaptation.

Loved them both to bits. Kaufman is such an imaginative writer. Also big respect to Nicolas Cage for his role in Adaptation. He is a severely underrated actor (probably his own fault for doing a bunch of shit movies).

Lilith

Immortelle
May 19, 2006
It would have been cool if they'd adapted the actual stories. Those might actually be good movies.
I think digressing is not a bad idea if it is done well. In this case it was not.

@Cronios, Alien was very different from Star Trek and Star Wars. You have one series where mankind is now making first contact with an alien race and the other two where they have long ventured into space and are already living among aliens. Additionally, I don't see how super rapid evolving Alien goo is more realistic than the Trek world.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Les Miserables (1998) - I loved the book and had high expectations on this one, but I guess it's not possible to tell the story in 2:08 runtime. I thought the movie kinda missed the whole point of the book, first and foremost it's about criminals, lowlives, crooks etc (les miserables) and their different paths, while the movie almost didn't touch on the subject at all, concentrating exclusively on the Jean and Javert part of the story. Also revolution was shown very poorly. 5/10

Foo Fighters - Back and Forth - pretty mediocre, the whole time I felt the movie was made for MTV fans, some cool things (like Grohl recording everything by himself in the first album or Bob Mould appearing on Dear Rosemary), but mostly it was pretty boring. 6/10

Next on my list are The Dreamers (2003) and Traitor (2008). Can't wait for Les Miserables with Hugh Jackman in it, could be way better :p

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Back and Forth :tup: It's more interesting if you're a fan of the Foo Fighters.
That's actually the main reason I found the film boring, I thought it was made not for fans, but for outsiders to make the group more popular. It was mostly focusing on well known, hundred times talked over themes like Curt Cobain and the personel changes of the group and not so much on specific details about songs or guys from the group.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
3D sucks, it kills your eyes and it's double the price too when it's worse.
I don't like 3D either. Never seen a movie in it, wouldn't plan on seeing one in 3D unless it's really interesting and made specifically for the purpose of 3D.

---------- Post added 13.06.2012 at 23:04 ----------

Well, not having knowledge of the Alien universe must have taken away from the experience. Also, I don't think there need to be answers. Not knowing is perfectly fine in the case of Science Fiction. One of the reasons I like 2001 so much is that you can take away something different every time
you watch it.
go watch good animations in 3d..it will rock your worldd

---------- Post added 19.06.2012 at 20:12 ----------

The Dictator,

Aladeen motherfuckers

5/10
you're so harsh

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Les Miserables (1998) - I loved the book and had high expectations on this one, but I guess it's not possible to tell the story in 2:08 runtime. I thought the movie kinda missed the whole point of the book, first and foremost it's about criminals, lowlives, crooks etc (les miserables) and their different paths, while the movie almost didn't touch on the subject at all, concentrating exclusively on the Jean and Javert part of the story. Also revolution was shown very poorly. 5/10

Next on my list are The Dreamers (2003) and Traitor (2008). Can't wait for Les Miserables with Hugh Jackman in it, could be way better :p
I hate that adaptation with all of my heart and soul. I love the book as well, and hate the way they treated it (not to mention some horrible performances).

I'm a bit wary of the new adaptation of the musical, but only because I don't like the way they pick big names instead of people who can honestly, truly sing.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I think digressing is not a bad idea if it is done well. In this case it was not.

@Cronios, Alien was very different from Star Trek and Star Wars. You have one series where mankind is now making first contact with an alien race and the other two where they have long ventured into space and are already living among aliens. Additionally, I don't see how super rapid evolving Alien goo is more realistic than the Trek world.
The Aliens primary form (facehuggers that are hatched by those Eggs) are insectoid/arrachnoid, which happens to be the most common creature crawling around and the most probable variant.
Even the final form of the Alien warriors and the middle one, are not quite the typical Bipod that conviently talks English, wares a uniform, has about the same stance and dimension of the standard humanoid form.

90% of the Alien races in star Trekk and star wars, are simply not "Älien" enough, they are too humanoid, it is because of the limited fantasy and general/typical concepts, of us depicting all alien forms.
As the Trek and star wars worls evolved in the future, they also added, different kind of creatures, but the bulk of the typical alien they used are humanoids.
Personally, i ve dismissed this shortmind approach since i was 7-8year old.
For the very same reasons i never liked kid animated series with talking animals with clothes.
I was fortunate enough to have a direct experience with nature, through hunting and after the direct contact with a number of different life forms, of different shapes and dimensions, that cannot communicate with each other, but they do interact in other ways, i came up with the conclusion that the star wars/trek concept is simplistic and faulty.
Well of course Ridley Scott may end up there too, as the engineers seem humanoid as well (the Promethean Gods who have created humanity to their image, but kind in a faulty way though. However it is somewhat excused because of that

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Next on my list are The Dreamers (2003) ...
Nice european flick, nothing special, but a good watch, don't watch if you're trying to get rid of smoking, this is one of the films that makes you want to do it. The soundtrack though is immense, amazing, beautiful, probably better than the movie itself. Easily one of the best movie soundtracks I ever heard, mostly 60ties music.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Nice european flick, nothing special, but a good watch, don't watch if you're trying to get rid of smoking, this is one of the films that makes you want to do it. The soundtrack though is immense, amazing, beautiful, probably better than the movie itself. Easily one of the best movie soundtracks I ever heard, mostly 60ties music.
It is indeed nothing special, besides from the amazing atmosphere it has going on. And when I say atmosphere, I don't mean Eva Green.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Anyone know where I can get a good quality stream for the Prometheus movie? I know it's only in cinemas now but every now and then you stumble across a decent quality one. would love to go see it in the cinema but none of my mates are into sci-fi :sad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 188)