Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (156 Viewers)

OP
Elvin

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
  • Thread Starter #10,061
    It does. I remember when I watched Romeo and Juliet with Leo DiCaprio I didn't like it at all! The Shakespearean English in modern settings bothered me too much. Now that I'm a bit older I know why the film was made the way it was and it just makes more sense to me.
    Perhaps I might wait for this movie to come onto DVD if I ever do decide to watch it.
    Why?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Aameer

May 6, 2012
    Well, the way I see it, Shakespeare knew and understood people very, very well. Despite the language he used to write his plays, the meaning and ideas are universal to people all over the world with interactions and feelings. The things his characters do in plays are not just limited to one culture or one particular time period. So in that movie, despite the use of Old English during modern times, it is pretty well understood what is going on because of what the characters are doing. Lurhman made it that way to show how that thinking and human interaction hasn't really changed from so long ago. Shakespeare, in my humble opinion, is not really intended just to be read. You have to watch it for it to make sense.

Then again....Shakespeare was a tricky fellow and stole some of his play ideas from old European legends too. :)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Saw MIB3, as it was the only thing really left by the time I got there. Better than I expected, given the negative reviews I'd seen. Guess I am a sucker for the nostalgia, but it was far better than MIB2.

Decent little twist at the end too, to probably close out the franchise.

dodo

The Recruiter
    Apr 25, 2011
    They blocked The Pirate Bay in Holland now :sergio: Anyone know a good alternative for downloading torrents and to see what the latest releases are?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 151)