Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (109 Viewers)

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
1) Full Metal Jacket? Nooo, expect something totally different (in terms of being bored) with 2001 :D
2) I re-watch movies when I feel like watching them again :p I thought I watched a completely different movie when I watched 2001 for the second time.
Alright. It's funny, some of my friends whose opinions I respect list Space Odyssey as a must watch for every person with appreciation for film. So now I have conflicting verdicts from several respectable sources, look forward to seeing who is right.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Maybe for you & for many others. Not for me. It's called an opinion.

There are many different thing that make a movie "genious" for me personally. Technical side is just one part.

Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, The Killing, Clockwork Orange, ... are great Kubrick movies imo.
Barry Lyndon, 2001, Eyes Wide Shut are not. Not saying that they're utter crap either, though that last one came pretty close.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
2001 and FMJ are my favorite Kubrick films. A Clockwork Orange is decent, but it's not something to watch again and again.

Strangelove can sulk me. Eyes Wide Shut is shit.

Lilith

Immortelle
May 19, 2006
It is very useful to watch boring moovies from time to time.
It is. One person's boring could be another treasure.

2001 and FMJ are my favorite Kubrick films. A Clockwork Orange is decent, but it's not something to watch again and again.

Strangelove can sulk me. Eyes Wide Shut is shit.
Agreed Eyes Wide Shut was disappointing.

Halabalu

Dec 5, 2011
Maybe for you & for many others. Not for me. It's called an opinion.

There are many different thing that make a movie "genious" for me personally. Technical side is just one part.

Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, The Killing, Clockwork Orange, ... are great Kubrick movies imo.
Barry Lyndon, 2001, Eyes Wide Shut are not. Not saying that they're utter crap either, though that last one came pretty close.
Yeah... to have personal opinion is great. I also have mine about 2001 and I can't say that i like it very much and consider it as a one of my favourite moovies. But I have read some articles about that film, some facts wich couldn't be rejected, some reviews in magazines...and accroding to that i recognized that this film is tagged as the genious one, and I didn't find any clear contrarguments why it shouldn't. So conclusion is... i dont't like it but it's genious =)
For instance I like Fiat 500 because of weird funny shape and this Fiat's relation with Juve... But i can't reject the fact that Mersedes Mclaren are something else like that is better a little bit =)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Solomon Kane.

The main character is a mix between Aragorn and Van Helsing, and the plot is clichéd with the odd twist, but it moved at a steady pace, action scenes were pretty good for a moderate-spend fantasy film, and Peter Postlethwaite had a supporting role. So it wasn't all bad.

I'm quite easily entertained with the fantasy genre, it has to be said.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
So I finished 2001 and I have no fucking idea what I just watched. Everything was making sense until the last 30min. I mean, the references to Homer and Nietzsche are pretty obvious, but what is the monolith?

If it's an alien form helping lesser evolved species up the ladder - like it does with the apes in the beginning - how does it help the Clavius moon team? Why is the HAL9000 crew even going to Jupiter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 103)