Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (124 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Finally got around to watching The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Loved it although took me a while to get into it. Would it be worth watching the original Swedish version or sequels?

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Let Me In. It's another cover, but I thought it was sufficiently freaky and atmospheric.

Chloe Mouretz has a pretty good oddball child actor niche going on, I think it's the crossed eyes.
Saw it about week ago. Was a pretty big disappointment for me. The original blew me away, but I had trouble really getting into this. Both kids were fine though.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Except for a few minor plot adjustments, they were almost entirely the same movie.
Atmosphere was sorely lacking in the remake. Some of the more "shocking" scenes were cut, I guess because they're not suited to a mainstream (American) audience. One that immediately comes to mind being when all doubts about "the character" (no spoiler there :D) are put to an end. And there are a few others as well.
So I definitely wouldn't say that it was almost the same movie.

To put it short: the bits that were the same were ok enough (but why bother with a carbon copy in the first place?), the bits that changed were inferior to the original.

Not saying it's a terrible film, far from it. But is definitely nowhere near a masterpiece. Which the original was, to me at least.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Maybe I should re-watch the original. I saw it when it first came out and just saw the re-make about a month ago. I liked them both, but for different reasons.

Also, I recommend Trollhunter.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Saw it about week ago. Was a pretty big disappointment for me. The original blew me away, but I had trouble really getting into this. Both kids were fine though.
I only saw the original a few months before, and tbh I am usually a bit arsey with Anglo-remakes, but I still liked this one.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I'm ashamed to say it, but I've never watched 2001: Space Odyssey.

Watching in an hour or two, decided to watch it when some guy told me "You can't be a fan of Kubrick if you haven't watched this".

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
1) People told me the same thing before I watched Full Metal Jacket and I was greatly entertained
2) How do you know? Isn't it against your movie watching policy? :D
1) Full Metal Jacket? Nooo, expect something totally different (in terms of being bored) with 2001 :D
2) I re-watch movies when I feel like watching them again :p I thought I watched a completely different movie when I watched 2001 for the second time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 117)