Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (122 Viewers)

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
I agree with Hoori and Buck, a director might follow the style of another director but that does not credit them any less. If they have done something good then it deserves the credit.
For me it does exactly that. PTA's movies are well made and quality, but you don't get credit for riding on another director's coat-tail.

@ king ale: De Palma has made a career on copying Hitchcock.

And I wouldn't throw around the word masterpiece that easily.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
For me it does exactly that. PTA's movies are well made and quality, but you don't get credit for riding on another director's coat-tail.
No one is riding anyone's tail, he's just following another style. That's like saying Messi sucks because his idol is Maradona.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009

I get what you're saying, but that would mean no director of the last 20 or 30 years deserves credit.

Thinking of watching The Next Three Days. Anyone seen it? Is it as good as some make it to be?
At best mediocre.

Gino

The Funky Homosapien
Jun 6, 2003
ipman 1and2
juice
boyz n the hood
menace 2 society
white man cant jump
celtic pride
semi pro
kill bill 1&2
tekkonkinkreet
baby boy
poetic justice
the last samurai
jackie brown
scarface
sleepers
a bronx tale
kick ass
carlitos way.....and many more

these movies are special 4 me i love them all

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
For me it does exactly that. PTA's movies are well made and quality, but you don't get credit for riding on another director's coat-tail..
I disagree, of course. His movies have been widely praised by the critics. I'm sure they are very well aware of whether an idea is original or not. And this is the most important thing in making movies, I believe. P.T. Andreson must have been inspired by Altman's style of movie making, which is fine and actually very good as he is using it very smartly in his movies in order to tell his story perfectly.

I wouldn't call that "copying". He's been influenced by Hitchcock but his way of story telling, the concepts and notions have been different. Legends like Hitchcock are like teachers, they are known for the influence they had on cinema at their time and do still have on the recent filmmakers. I once read somewhere that it's all useless if you tend to copy the works of great directors such as Kubrick or Bergman as those works have already been made in the best way possible. Use the technics to tell your own story, an original one. And P.T. Anderson is IMO, doing that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 116)