Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (124 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
X-Men First Class. Class! I don't have to say more.
It really suprised me too, outdid my expectations conisderably. Fleshed out Magneto and the original characters really well. Not just mindless action. Hopefully its successful enough in theaters, because they said they will do a series of it if is.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
X-Men First Class. Class! I don't have to say more.
Damn I wish you told us before they removed the movie from cinemas here. The fools only leave the new movies for a week, or two maximum. Now there is hangover two, I think I should watch it no?

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
The Fightrer Absolutely amazing movie in every aspect especially the acting. Mark Wahlberg is more and more becoming one of my all time favourites and Christian Bale pulled just another one of his sovereign performances. All that topped with the fabulous flower Amy Adams.
Wahlberg all time fave? The guy can barely act.

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
I'd say Altman's output has been more uneven than PTA's. Some of Altman's work is really quite bad, while PT Anderson hasn't made any true stinkers yet, even if I didn't really like Punch Drunk Love.
Altman experimented a lot, hence the hit n miss. I don't know any precursors to movies like MASH, Nashville or Short Cuts, all uncharted territory. There's nothing original about Anderson, on whom another influence is Tarantino(who's also influenced by Altman, see The Long Goodbye).

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Maybe so, but I don't care for experimenting just for the sake of experimenting, when it doesn't have any actual value or isn't worth watching (not that that was often the case with Altman).
You, me, or anyone else for that matter can shoot a film that hasn't been done before, doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Both Boogie Nights & Magnolia were absolute masterpieces for me. And considering that we (or I at least) don't see these kinds of films every other week, I do consider them original in some way. Depends of course on how you define original in this case.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I'm with Buck on this. P.T Anderson has admitted himself how he's idolized Altman but it doesn't make him any less good as he is creating excellent stuff himself. Many directors have idolized the legends such as Hitchcock and Kubrick but how many of them have been successful even at copying their works? P.T. Anderson makes very few movies but whenever he is to release something, you know for damn sure that you are going to see a masterpiece.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I agree with Hoori and Buck, a director might follow the style of another director but that does not credit them any less. If they have done something good then it deserves the credit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 116)