Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (103 Viewers)

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
I still haven't been able to understand the hype he gets. He is a very mediocre actor and unfortunately his physique is very distracting.
His physic and genuine character made him an action actor which is the point at hand. I compare him to Dwayne Johnson although he never reached the level that Dwayne is. I can't imagine batista in any genre except action.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
His physic and genuine character made him an action actor which is the point at hand. I compare him to Dwayne Johnson although he never reached the level that Dwayne is. I can't imagine batista in any genre except action.
He is trying to break away from action roles to more dramatic and serious roles and it's just not working for me.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I'm about half way through everything everywhere all at once. Im not enjoying it at all and finding it a bit pretentious.

Kung Fu Hustle is one of my favorite movies ever. It was way more chaotic and hilerious.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm about half way through everything everywhere all at once. Im not enjoying it at all and finding it a bit pretentious.

Kung Fu Hustle is one of my favorite movies ever. It was way more chaotic and hilerious.
I thought it tried too hard, was a wannabe video game, lacked any attention span credit for the audience, and made me cringe. I wanted all the main characters to die for their tedium.

I did, however, find Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon guilty of some of the things and also disliked that. But before you accuse me of #AsianHate, I defo thought 2018’s “Burning” never got the credit it deserved.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I thought it tried too hard, was a wannabe video game, lacked any attention span credit for the audience, and made me cringe. I wanted all the main characters to die for their tedium.

I did, however, find Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon guilty of some of the things and also disliked that. But before you accuse me of #AsianHate, I defo thought 2018’s “Burning” never got the credit it deserved.
I hated it so much haven't felt as annoyed after watching a film since that pretencious trash Boyhood.

And I love Asian movies especially Korean movies.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013

shaolin soccer is masterpiece. one of the most underrated movies of all time

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
Redeeming Love :tup:
I haven't seen a romantic movie in a long time. Just for a change of pace, watched it and the movie didn't leave me feeling disappointed. the plot and amazing acting, visuals, and soundtrack.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I really don't get how Everything everywhere all at once won so many Oscars.

Especially best picture and even worst was the supporting actress win for Jamie Lee Curtis who played a silly comic relief character.

Last edited:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Especially best picture and even worst was the supporting actress win for Jamie Lee Curtis who played a silly comic relief character.
I really enjoyed it but was surprised that it won so much. I didn’t see many of the other nominees so I’m assuming it was a weak year.

that said, I’m was stoked to see short round win

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I really enjoyed it but was surprised that it won so much. I didn’t see many of the other nominees so I’m assuming it was a weak year.

that said, I’m was stoked to see short round win
I can see why many people enjoyed it. A fun movie with tonnes of layers and fun performances but we've seen many movies like this or better over the years that never got half the recognition. I wonder if it was because it was directed by two gay men and the cast was so diverse.

A storyline based on ADHD (mental illness box checked) and about a family from a supressed background (minority box checked) and a gay daughter with a struggling mother who doesn't accept her homosexuality ( box checked).

All Quiet on the Western Front and The Banshees of Inisherin were more Oscar worthy movies.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I can see why many people enjoyed it. A fun movie with tonnes of layers and fun performances but we've seen many movies like this or better over the years that never got half the recognition. I wonder if it was because it was directed by two gay men and the cast was so diverse.

A storyline based on ADHD (mental illness box checked) and about a family from a supressed background (minority box checked) and a gay daughter with a struggling mother who doesn't accept her homosexuality ( box checked).

All Quiet on the Western Front and The Banshees of Inisherin were more Oscar worthy movies.
im pretty sure one is gay and one is straight. I guess the voters will be mad when it comes out, but yeah it is an Asian story and Asian representation has been blowing up the last five years or so

I would have been cool with Banshees winning. Haven’t seen Weatern Front as it didn’t play in theaters here and I refuse to watch on Netflix.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Try and check it out but yes it would be much better experienced in a movie theater. Beautiful film.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess this ticks another box. She acts for 40 years with barely any recognition. Then her son becomes a woman, which she is very support of in public and then she wins an Oscar after her next movie...
Screenshot_20230316_000813_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230316_003539_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

It was by no means a bad film. But it certainly wasn’t a great film either. It was entertaining in a quirky eccentric sorta way. But that’s it. Banshees was a far far better film.

Strickland

May 17, 2019

Tbh I dont see whats special about All quiet either. Loved the book, last read it in my study years, the film was okay.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
Try and check it out but yes it would be much better experienced in a movie theater. Beautiful film.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess this ticks another box. She acts for 40 years with barely any recognition. Then her son becomes a woman, which she is very support of in public and then she wins an Oscar after her next movie...
Screenshot_20230316_000813_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230316_003539_Facebook.jpg
she got the prize for her special feature

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

I saw it 2 days ago, and besides the heart warming mother and daughter dynamic, the movie was all over the place and wildly inconsistent. I didnt know it won any prices. Its certainly an experience, but more of wtf where is this going now one, instead of quality storytelling.

I got the idea it was going for, but it overdosed on quirkiness. Needed little more impulse control by the director.

I had no idea it won Oscars (I seen plenty of movies better then it). I stopped paying attention to Oscars like 4 or so years ago.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 96)