Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (33 Viewers)

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
@Post Ironic @CrimsonianKing

You watched Pop (Priest) from 2009?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1506452/
Did you? :D Pop is the mother of all post-soviet orthodox church funded abominations, that step by step rewrite history and shape russian public opinion at their and the kremlin's will. Next you can watch Ostrov (2006) and Admiral (2008) and get ready to lick windows as your brain evaporates inside your head

Russian cinematography is an absolute minefield these days. If you want a good one, go watch The Fool (2014) and come back for more

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Did you? :D Pop is the mother of all post-soviet orthodox church funded abominations, that step by step rewrite history and shape russian public opinion at their and the kremlin's will. Next you can watch Ostrov (2006) and Admiral (2008) and get ready to lick windows as your brain evaporates inside your head

Russian cinematography is an absolute minefield these days. If you want a good one, go watch The Fool (2014) and come back for more
I'm watching it right now. :D

I wanted something religion-oriented, as I don't watch it from a propaganda-angle, but more depth-wise. And sadly I couldn't find anything like Andrey Rublev.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I'm watching it right now. :D

I wanted something religion-oriented, as I don't watch it from a propaganda-angle, but more depth-wise. And sadly I couldn't find anything like Andrey Rublev.
I haven't seen that film. Pop that is. Worth a watch? Or just propaganda?

Have you watched any of Konstantin Lopushansky's films? I think you'd like his stuff. Bleak as fuck though.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I haven't seen that film. Pop that is. Worth a watch? Or just propaganda?

Have you watched any of Konstantin Lopushansky's films? I think you'd like his stuff. Bleak as fuck though.
I didnćt see it as a propaganda.

Some scenes were powerful and I liked some bits and pieces but overall I can't say I enjoyed it much. It felt it was all over the place and I wasn't drawn by the atmosphere. Decent at best imo.

Haven't seen Lopushansky's work but I'll keep an eye on it :tup:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Are you familiar with any movies placed in a XIX centry Russia? :D Bar sci-fi parts.
Have you watched the Russian TV miniseries adaptations of Dostoevsky's works? The Idiot was excellent imo.

I know a few others based in 20th century Eastern Europe. Like Gabor Body's Narcissus and Pscyhe (Hungary). Bloody hard to find though.

Opium: Diary of a Madwoman by Janos Szasz is another set in pre-WWI Eastern Europe.

Sergei Parajanov's Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors is a 19th century set masterpiece too. Carpathians setting.

Wojciech Jerzy Has' The Doll is set in warsaw 1870s. Really good. his Hourglass Sanatorium is incredible. One of my all-time favourites. (Same with The Saragossa Manuscript though it is not at all set in the right era for you.) You should watch as many of this director's films as you can find. I think you would love them.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm sounds interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you see my post about Alien Covenant?
I did. I'm just waiting to see it before commenting fully. I've heard conflicting views now. A few people told me it discarded many of the good aspects of Prometheus (the mystery, the pacing, etc) and went too much for the blockbuster Aliens type action feel. Poor character development was another Flaw I was told. But you think different. I'm going to watch it with an open mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 32)