Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (120 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Manchester by the Sea - I don't get the hype. Sure, the movie was quite real, well directed from what it was given which imo was close to nothing. It's slow paced and I didn't really mind it, but the whole move is one-sided. I rate Casey Affleck and I think he has a great future as an actor, but then again I can't see why people fap over this role? There's no way I could say he can't be replaced cause I see majority of actors doing just as fine in this role of an every day guy. He had a moment of brilliance when he stood with his ex-wife but that alone was not enough to justify the hype around it. Overall, I think it's a movie worth of seeing, but far from being great and Oscar worthy (not that it means anything these days). 7/10

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
icemaη;5463973 said:
Ended up watching it a couple of days late. It's so much fun. Guns and Keanu Reeves. Such a deadly combo :tuttosport:
A good action movie is so rare to find nowadays. Even if majority are brainless.

I really enjoyed John Wich first part (haven't seen second yet).

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
icemaη;5463973 said:
Ended up watching it a couple of days late. It's so much fun. Guns and Keanu Reeves. Such a deadly combo :tuttosport:
Have you seen that video of him at the outdoor shooting range? Dude is fucking legit. If a zombie war breaks out, that's who I want on my team.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
icemaη;5464279 said:
Nope. Let me google that shit right now, instead of getting ready to go to work :D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rCIgpUTvfsA

That includes some of the movie too. Damn, that shit looks good.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Manchester by the Sea - I don't get the hype. Sure, the movie was quite real, well directed from what it was given which imo was close to nothing. It's slow paced and I didn't really mind it, but the whole move is one-sided. I rate Casey Affleck and I think he has a great future as an actor, but then again I can't see why people fap over this role? There's no way I could say he can't be replaced cause I see majority of actors doing just as fine in this role of an every day guy. He had a moment of brilliance when he stood with his ex-wife but that alone was not enough to justify the hype around it. Overall, I think it's a movie worth of seeing, but far from being great and Oscar worthy (not that it means anything these days). 7/10
I disagree with this.

Finally watched this movie last night and Casey Affleck was brilliant. By far the best acting performance in Hollywood this year (as much as that means). I do agree that many actors could play the role, and decently so, but Casey Affleck plays it with a subtlety and nuance that is very rare in modern hollywood and quite a wonder to behold. And that's what a truly brilliant performance in such a role requires, and I don't see it coming from any of that 30-50 year old generation in hollywood, some have little bits of it, but his touch, his deftness, his nuance, and manipulation of human emotions sets the bar in this film (and several of his past roles). He's a unique actor, who may not be the best actor out there right now (his versatility for other sorts of roles is lacking), but he is the best in his specific role, and this film was just that, to a T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 116)