Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (46 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Prometheus is better than its reputation.
Crimmy kept telling me this, so I rewatched it a while back and by paying it much closer attention found a new appreciation for it with a second viewing.

- - - Updated - - -

To me it looks like generic Alien movie number 124234234. Not very excited after this trailer. I would rather they did the actual Prometheus 2 and explained the plot about the aliens that created humans.
I think the Engineers have a part in the new film from viewing the one trailer. Both Noomi Rapace and Fassbender are reprising their roles, and the trailer seems to hint at a couple things regarding the engineers. I think connecting Prometheus to the original Alien could make for a very interesting film, combining the best of both... Fassbender looks to play a prominent role and from the nature of his character in Prometheus I think it is fair to hope they utilize some of that film's aesthetic.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
To me it looks like generic Alien movie number 124234234. Not very excited after this trailer. I would rather they did the actual Prometheus 2 and explained the plot about the aliens that created humans.
Yo, believe it or not, I just watched Alien last night for the first time! :D

And tbh it's brilliant and it's incredible 1979, it's so much ahead of its time. Great movie, I really enjoyed it and I didn't even feel those 2 hours.

Prometheus is better than its reputation.
I agree. It's a very good movie.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Engineers have a part in the new film from viewing the one trailer. Both Noomi Rapace and Fassbender are reprising their roles, and the trailer seems to hint at a couple things regarding the engineers. I think connecting Prometheus to the original Alien could make for a very interesting film, combining the best of both... Fassbender looks to play a prominent role and from the nature of his character in Prometheus I think it is fair to hope they utilize some of that film's aesthetic.
:heart:

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
I'm I missing something, I thought it was shit. Fucking rednecks raping some women while their pussy dad and husband let them go.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
The way the story is told was brilliant imo. The build up, fixating on so many aspects of human nature, and way he managed to intertwine the real life narratives to the book had a deep impact on me. Not to mention the acting which was nothing short of amazing.

I think the most important thing to me was how the message was passed on, how there's revenge and revenge. I couldn't get it off my mind for a week. No offense intended but like Under The Skin this is one of those movies that aren't made for this generation, it's too boring ​according to them.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Crimmy kept telling me this, so I rewatched it a while back and by paying it much closer attention found a new appreciation for it with a second viewing.
Still can't see anything making it more than average.

It kinda surprises me to see you & especially Crimmy like it so much, it resembles your typical bang average Hollywood Sci-Fi blockbuster more than anything imo.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Still can't see anything making it more than average.

It kinda surprises me to see you & especially Crimmy like it so much, it resembles your typical bang average Hollywood Sci-Fi blockbuster more than anything imo.
I think it's quite the opposite. Too much symbolism to resemble anything like an average Sci fi blockbuster. That's the main reason it's so hated by so many,

- - - Updated - - -

Watched Hacksaw Ridge. What's with the hype? Dumb fucking movie.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I think it's quite the opposite. Too much symbolism to resemble anything like an average Sci fi blockbuster. That's the main reason it's so hated by so many,

- - - Updated - - -

Watched Hacksaw Ridge. What's with the hype? Dumb fucking movie.
Exactly this. But you already know I kinda saw it the same way @Ocelot does before you convinced me to rewatch it and pay closer attention. I'm pretty sure I watched it with some dumb broad the first time anyways. Always a good way to find yourself underrating a good film.

Symbolism and pacing separate it from the the average sci-fi blockbuster. As well as the ambition of it (which was massive, even though I still think it failed to fully live up to those ambitions).

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I liked it more then any Alien movie because of that. It's just missing something tho, bit too abstract and not so conclusive narrative style, it went for something it fully didn't accomplish.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
The main problem with Prometheus is that it's full of random and terrible scenes. It had great potential but couldn't really fulfill it.
That's the thing, they aren't random. They're just filled with symbolism. Once you understand what they mean then it starts to make sense. You should also check some of the cut scenes. There's this dialog between the engineer and the humans that explains why he attacked them.

Maybe his mistake was to go way too deep with symbolism, it really isn't what people expected. They wanted a simple easy to understand sci fi blockbuster and they got anything but. If this was from an indie foreign director people (by people I mean people into foreign/artsy flicks) would praise the shit out of it. But it's the mainstream guy from Alien and Gladiator...

- - - Updated - - -

No way. It's filled with symbolism. People hate it, cause the answers aren't served on a plate.
Pretty much. It's become the norm. Give today's people amazing special effects with a 100 shots a minute and a watered down story and they'll love it.

Give them something to think about, with a nice well paced build up or simply something that refuses to hold their hands and it's like it hurts. It becomes boring.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
That's the thing, they aren't random. They're just filled with symbolism. Once you understand what they mean then it starts to make sense. You should also check some of the cut scenes. There's this dialog between the engineer and the humans that explains why he attacked them.

Maybe his mistake was to go way too deep with symbolism, it really isn't what people expected. They wanted a simple easy to understand sci fi blockbuster and they got anything but. If this was from an indie foreign director people (by people I mean people into foreign/artsy flicks) would praise the shit out of it. But it's the mainstream guy from Alien and Gladiator...
No man, I don't mean "symbolism". I mean scenes like a random zombie appearing before the ship, people opening the entrance for no reason, fighting the zombie and then nobody ever mentions that thing again. I mean things like David "poisoning" the husband for a reason that is never explained or even implied. I mean things like Wayland faking his death for no reason at all. And of course the famous "running away from falling space ship in a straight line" or "let's try to pet an obviously dangerous alien cobra because reasons".

Maybe there are cut scenes that explain stuff like this but if there are, they should have put them in the movie or cut the scenes that make no sense without them.

I mean the script was written by Damon Lindelof who is famous for making shit up and never trying to explain it because "it's symbolism man, drink it innnnnn" (he written Lost).

Here's a good vid:

Some of these thing are obviously nitpicking but most of them explain why watching this movie can be painful.

And don't get me wrong I still liked it but I remember my initial feeling of disappointment after watching it. Could have been great, but is just ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 44)