Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (78 Viewers)

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

A Tale of Two Sisters
Nosferatu (1979)
Dr Mabuse
Kuroneko
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Audition
Ju-on
Black Sunday
The Ghost of Notsuya
Trouble Every Day
Suspiria
Mate i know you're a serious movie experd, so I'm asking you. These movies scary forreal? I've stopped watching horrors cuz they're always retarded and haven't had one scare me since i was like 12. I can't imagine what could be in a movie that make a grown man afraid. So if you say they do, i might give it a shot

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
By Lars Von Trier? His Europa trilogy, his Golden Heart trilogy, and then Nymphomaniac the uncut version.
The Element of Crime :pado:

- - - Updated - - -

Mate i know you're a serious movie experd, so I'm asking you. These movies scary forreal? I've stopped watching horrors cuz they're always retarded and haven't had one scare me since i was like 12. I can't imagine what could be in a movie that make a grown man afraid. So if you say they do, i might give it a shot
If you get scared by watching Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari, then you are the biggest pussy on earth. Seriously, old horror movies like Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu and Dr. Mabuse are interesting, but they are by no means scary by today's standard.

Have you seen Antichrist? It's not a traditional horror movie, but there's some ALC stuff in it.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
They don't scare me so much as I find them creepy and disturbing. Well, some of them anyways.

I don't really watch horrors as an adult for the "scare" element. More so the disturbing feeling of unease better one's provide. Tras El Cristal is a good example for this. Same with many of the Korean and Japanese horrors. They're more disturbing than scary.

The 1920s and '30s silent horrors are more the case of being creepy and beautiful films than anything else.

Like you said, it's hard to think of something that could scare a grown man on a movie screen.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
That's a very relative question. I've seen all the movies on that list and i'd be scared shitless by them if i watched them back when i was a kid, but nowadays, no. The reason horror movies aren't scary anymore is because society has lost it's innocence, in a way. Any kid can watch atrocities on the internet, monsters don't scare them.

Here's my two cents though: the Asian ones might still manage to do it. Try A Tale of Two Sisters, Audition and Ju-on.

- - - Updated - - -

They don't scare me so much as I find them creepy and disturbing. Well, some of them anyways.

I don't really watch horrors as an adult for the "scare" element. More so the disturbing feeling of unease better one's provide. Tras El Cristal is a good example for this. Same with many of the Korean and Japanese horrors. They're more disturbing than scary.

The 1920s and '30s silent horrors are more the case of being creepy and beautiful films than anything else.

Like you said, it's hard to think of something that could scare a grown man on a movie screen.
Dr Mabuse is creepy as shit. In fact, German Expressionism is scary in it's own way. Maybe it's that raw video quality, or the make ups. :D

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007

That's a very relative question. I've seen all the movies on that list and i'd be scared shitless by them if i watched them back when i was a kid, but nowadays, no. The reason horror movies aren't scary anymore is because society has lost it's innocence, in a way. Any kid can watch atrocities on the internet, monsters don't scare them.

Here's my two cents though: the Asian ones might still manage to do it. Try A Tale of Two Sisters, Audition and Ju-on.

- - - Updated - - -

Dr Mabuse is creepy as shit. In fact, German Expressionism is scary in it's own way. Maybe it's that raw video quality, or the make ups. :D
:tup: I see. Now I'm intrigued

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Well put. You dare each other into watching the scariest movies at such a young age that when you're grown up, there are no more movies left to scare you.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Well put. You dare each other into watching the scariest movies at such a young age that when you're grown up, there are no more movies left to scare you.
True story; My mom went to watch The Exorcist when it first came out in the early 70's. She told me she had to sleep with the lights on for 2 weeks. :D

I can't even imagine how disturbing that movie was to society then.

- - - Updated - - -

As a kid, the only movie that gave me sleepless nights was The Exorcist. .. had to sleep in my dads room for a week
Read above. Imagine if you were brought up in the 60's. How extra scary that would have been for you.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
True story; My mom went to watch The Exorcist when it first came out in the early 70's. She told me she had to sleep with the lights on for 2 weeks. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Read above. Imagine if you were brought up in the 60's. How extra scary that would have been for you.
And coming from a devout Catholic family :D

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

- - - Updated - - -

My pops and his friend when they were in their late teens ran through a screening of Texas Chainsaw Massacre with masks on revving chainsaws, of course without the chain on, but he said people still panicked. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

That's a very relative question. I've seen all the movies on that list and i'd be scared $#@!less by them if i watched them back when i was a kid, but nowadays, no. The reason horror movies aren't scary anymore is because society has lost it's innocence, in a way. Any kid can watch atrocities on the internet, monsters don't scare them.

- - - Updated - - -

Dr Mabuse is creepy as $#@!. In fact, German Expressionism is scary in it's own way. Maybe it's that raw video quality, or the make ups. :D
That's just it.

I suppose part of it is our inability to perhaps relate as adults to the more "unrealistic" of horror films, as opposed to when we are children we can easily imagine ourselves face to face with just about any sort of horror.

As an adult, this is why it's the horror films that seem plausible, that disturb and creep me out the most. I know they're real, I can place myself there, without feeling silly, and I know that if I found myself there, in that situation I'd be terrified.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
@Völler

Finally got to watch Cinema Paradiso. Man, that was so neat and nostalgic. I was hooked as soon as I saw that young kid. :heart:

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
@Völler

Finally got to watch Cinema Paradiso. Man, that was so neat and nostalgic. I was hooked as soon as I saw that young kid. :heart:
Awesome! I don't know if I should be worried about you being hooked seeing a kid though. :shifty: Naaah, I get what you mean. He's beyond adorable. :p
Did you see the long or the short version? And did you cry a little?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 54)