Moment of Clarity (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
axlrose85 said:
well,i can assure you seven,the Qu'raan wasnt written down by a human.it was a divine revelation on the Prophet Mohammad(PBUH).and being a muslim,by religion states that Jesus never claimed being the son of God,he was sent down as a messenger to bring people on the right path,the whole bit about him being the 'son of god' was made up by his most devout followers at that time.im saying all this from a muslim's point of view,so obviously, a christian's point of view would be different.
not that im bashing you,but i dont agree with you one bit.
Thank you for proving my point. I salute you, axlrose.

Buy on AliExpress.com

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
its not about your point being proved,its about you being hellbent on believing that god does not exist.what you mentioned,are assumptions put forward by the common man.have you done any proper research on the subject?.id be more than glad to listen to your point,IF you bring forward some credible sources.

Aug 1, 2003
Well you say what are the chances the Quran is partially right? So far what IS wrong with it? Just by stating the existence of God and such? You cannot deem that as "wrong" because religion and existence of God is perspective. Is there any fact in the Quran that is completely, utterly, provenly wrong? Not even the sciences in the Quran is proven to be wrong. So whilst you say it may not be right, it isnt wrong either.

And have you actually READ the Quran, word by word? I welcome all views even of those who arent same as mine but I am sure if you read it, you wouldnt have so easily and arrogantly discarded it. You might disagree with it even after you've read it but you certainly wont say it was the pure writings of a 'lunatic'

Its impossible to prove that these beings were inspired by a supernatural being. Try proving its NOT then. (merely BELIEVING its not doesnt cut it). Fact is we'll never know if it was or wasnt. Its just a matter of different faith.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
sallyinzaghi said:
How has science disproved religion (or rather existence of God) gradually? (Bar evolution, because that is still debatable)
How is evolution debatable? We've seen evolution over the years in various species and are all well aware it is happening all around us. The existence of some divine being, who despite nobody ever having seen/heard/touched/smelt and who lives where exactly is just not a plausible alternative to scientific theory, the product of many great minds over our race's history vs religious texts which could have been written by anyone, as far as I'm aware nobody has ever proven they were "divine revelations" or anything of the sort.

You can't have go at science for not disproving god. Surely its religion's duty if anyones to prove god's existence... otherwise I could just make up a few gods as well - nobody's proved they don't exist so they must exist, right? That seems to be your philosophy anyway

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Martin said:
Gradually science replaced religion? So how did the Bible help us calculate the trajectory of an object fired from a catapult then? You could read the Bible very literally and say that Eve didn't come from Adam's rib, humans evolved from apes. But that's one line, it doesn't disprove the whole book. If you see a spelling error in the dictionary, that doesn't mean every definition is wrong.
Martin what are you on about - the catapult thing? Science gradually replaces religion does not mean all aspects of science have superceded religious texts. Science is a massive area with all kinds of subjects contained within its scope. A book could never hope to contain that much diversity of information.

Like I said anyway, its not science's duty to disprove religion, it does that itself by being so far-fetched, illogical and of course unproven.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Seven said:
Not really true. Religion consists of myths. A Roman myth tells us African people are black, because the son of Helios once took his car and had a joyride. Science did disprove that, don't you think?

I thought that was a greek myth:confused:

Aug 1, 2003
Tom said:
You can't have go at science for not disproving god. Surely its religion's duty if anyones to prove god's existence... otherwise I could just make up a few gods as well - nobody's proved they don't exist so they must exist, right? That seems to be your philosophy anyway
Im just saying while theres no proof to some that God exists, theres no proof to us that God doesnt either. We believers might consider certain things as proof of God's existence that others dont. It is, ultimately, a matter of faith; hence the different religions in this world that exist today.

Tom said:
Like I said anyway, its not science's duty to disprove religion, it does that itself by being so far-fetched, illogical and of course unproven.
Thanks for answering my question btw. I take it your previous post was just misinterpreted by me :)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
@sallyinzaghi: Seven is the greatest man ever. Oh yeah, I'm writing on God's behalf here. Try proving I wasn't inspired by God for this one ;).

All I'm saying is that with the means we have and with the unlikeliness of the Qu'ran, the Bible and the Thora being right, believing is isn't the smartest and most logical thing to do. Chances of it being wrong are a billion minus one, chances of it being right are one in a billion. Hmm, what would I pick?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
axlrose85 said:
its not about your point being proved,its about you being hellbent on believing that god does not exist.what you mentioned,are assumptions put forward by the common man.have you done any proper research on the subject?.id be more than glad to listen to your point,IF you bring forward some credible sources.
I'm agnostic btw.

OP
ßöмßäяðîëя
Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #52
    Martin said:
    Burke, you are freaking me out. I vowed to find a bridge to jump from the minute Burke started thinking like me and now you've shamed me into it.

And "clarity"? How much do we get for tracing that word back to Andy? Oh this isn't the vbookie forum?
    Well, Andy and I had not talked when I did this.

Trust me, I am a lot smarter than a lot of you give me credit for.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    I think that like St. Thomas said there are two paths to get to God, by having faith and by reasoning and those two complement each other. We cant explain everything by reasoning (science) and we cant explain everything just by having faith either

OP
    ßöмßäяðîëя
    Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #54
    Seven said:
    Thank you for proving my point. I salute you, axlrose.
    Exactly, Catholics take this devine inspirationg stuff like the words magically appeared on the page when in actual fact, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were actually people who wrote down what they thought, and it was compiled into a book of great stories.

So, in conclusion, if you are Catholic, Matt, Mark, Luke, and the J-boy are God.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Black Mamba said:
    I think that like St. Thomas said there are two paths to get to God, by having faith and by reasoning and those two complement each other. We cant explain everything by reasoning (science) and we cant explain everything just by having faith either
    nicely put.

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    ßömßärdiër said:
    I start this thread not out of thought to provoke a much heated religious debate, but one rather to rather provoke a thought of things outside of our world.

I went outside just now to have the, hopefully, last cigarette of my life, and also this helps because I don't have any more in my house, am too lazy to buy more, and am so poor that I don't have the 3.75 to buy more Camels. With this said, he I go.

I was just standing outside and looking at the full moon, here in Martinsburg there is a fresh layer of snow covering the ground, and the night is fully clear. I live outside of the city, so I have no lights near my home, I can see the stars and what not in absolute brilliance and without any remote visual nuisance. I sat there for a couple of minutes and took this for granted, as we all do. I then realized, how can one really believe in a "God?" How does one "make" a planet?

I understand that the theory I have heard most states that a great "being" created them from nothing basically, then rested, not unlike many of us would after meticulously making something so marvelous, like a paper airplane.

But I soon realised in what alcoholics, not unlike myself, call a "moment of clarity." A moment when some great thing suddenly makes a minute bit of sense. So I ask you, how can a book or something made 2000 years ago even attempt to present a semi-rational bit of evidence that states where this planet comes from? How does one do it, how did they do it?

I was earlier watching the History Channel and the program was on the exploration of space. I started thinking, if one star in our galaxy, our sun has planets, and one of these planets can support life, then what about the other billions of stars in our solar system?

If one out of a billion galaxys has a star like ours, and one out of a billion of those has planetary systems, and one out of a billion of those systems has a planet that can support life, and one out of a billion of those has life, there are literally billions upon billions of plaets out there that are +/- just like ours.

Then I thought about it from a religious point of view. Where in the Bible or Qu'an does it talk about space and the millions of galaxys some spirit created in addition to ours? Then I thought, ohh wait, it doesn't. So I propose to you this, what if there is no "God?" What if instead of it creating us, we created this being, to explain to ourselves how to accept things? If you think about it, many ancient cultures talked about the stars as things from great battles and that the stars are where their spirits end up, like Orion from mythology or Gemini, and we dismiss these as idiotic practices from cultures past.

So what if all of the religion in this world is wrong? What if everything in the Bible is incorrect, not about Jesus being a prophet, but about creation and et cetera.

What if we created a "God" to explain our world because to us, to all of us, what is more scary than the thought that we are absolutely alone in this world? What if this is it? No Heaven, no Hell, none of that, just you die and that is it. Because this is what I have come to think, that this is all it is, this is life, this is what we do, and at the end of our life we lie in a hole in the ground and BOOM, nothing.

Sounds like some pretty crazy shit to me. Also think about this, the Catholic church hundreds of years ago was a lot more strict than it is now, it has let its rules lax and has aged with time. But in recent times the Church has seen many members of its following pass on and dwindle. Many people might look at this and say that it is because the world has become more devilish and hateful, all kinds of BS like that.

BUT, the fact is that people are waking up, they are looking out there and seeing that all of that nonsense from ages past has come unravelled, now there is a lot of scientific fact that shows how the planets were formed from the explosion of another star, from other celestial bodies.

So, just think about it.

(I used the Catholic Church as an example because most of my religious knowledge comes from Catholic teachings and Catholic school, I would have used maybe Islam if I had a greater grasp of its teachings.)
    You, Burke, were the last person I would expect a post like this from.

I agree with you. This is also what Seven means when he says religious people are scared- as in, since this is an answer to the biggest questions asked.

Its very strange you also say this aswell, because I was looking at the moon with my friend yesterday and we had a discussion about religion aswell. We discussed whether in 2,000-3,000 years people will look back at the religions today and call them ' make believe ' like we do to the Gods of the Roman and Greek times. People no doubt believed equally as strongly in them, and perhaps in the far future people will look at christianity and call Jesus a make believe prophet.

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    axlrose85 said:
    lets kick this off with something that extreme once sang :

"a once upon a time fairy tale's fraud
    did god make man or man make god"

you put forward some very logical arguments burke.and i cant deny that ive never thought about the very same thing,and there was a time when i was thinking along the lines of God not existing.ive had even more confusing thoughts in my mind such as :

a)how can we be sure that the religion WE fellow is correct?i as a muslim think that my religion is correct,a christian would think that his religion is correct,a jew would think that his religion is correct and so forth,we all this confusion about what IS the right religion,maybe there is no religion at all,because simple,there might not be any god at all.

b)what is the basic root of god?surely there is a starting point of everything.just like a plant takes root from a seed,a child takes root from semen,there IS a basic start point of everything,and maybe the same goes for God.where did he come from?if he created us,then who created him?what is the BASIC,first most point of evolution in this universe?

c)if God does exist,then where is he when people get killed?when women get raped?why does he not save his own creation when he loves it?

frankly,what ive figured out is that religion cannot be explained or defined by Logic.you're not talking science over here,you're talking about something superntaural,and yes science CANNOT explain any supernatural phenomenon in any way whatsoever.God and religion are beyond the boundaries of logic.you mentioned the part about holy books being written centuries ago,they were'nt exactly written by man,or where they?they were sent down by God.

Science cannot explain God,and neither can it prove that God exists.Its something spiritual,something that is beyond logic.When you try to go into religion on the basis of logic,then you will end up believing that God does'nt exist,because logic cannot explain the supernatural.Look at it this way :

-you have a computer,that can do everything possible.
    -the computer could be all powerful,but it is run by man.
    -if man run such a powerful thing,does that make man the all powerful?
    -man dies,he cannnot prevent death.if he was all powerful,wouldnt he be able stop people from dying?
    -man cannot control death.someone controls man.man learned the whole basis of living from somewhere.he was created by SOMEONE,adam and eve came into existence through somene,that someone is GOD.

its a crappy attemt at reasoning,but anyway :

logic and science cannot define the supernatural,and God is supernatural.its something spiritual,you cannot explain it through logic.
    God has given us a sense of logic which points us in the direction that he does not exist.

OP
    ßöмßäяðîëя
    Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #58
    Dan said:
    You, Burke, were the last person I would expect a post like this from.

I agree with you. This is also what Seven means when he says religious people are scared- as in, since this is an answer to the biggest questions asked.

Its very strange you also say this aswell, because I was looking at the moon with my friend yesterday and we had a discussion about religion aswell. We discussed whether in 2,000-3,000 years people will look back at the religions today and call them ' make believe ' like we do to the Gods of the Roman and Greek times. People no doubt believed equally as strongly in them, and perhaps in the far future people will look at christianity and call Jesus a make believe prophet.

Thst is what I was actually thinking as well. I think that in probably 100 to 300 years, Catholicism is probably going to be defunct, and held as older religions have been now.

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    swag said:
    Nice clarity, Burke. :)

As an aside, you know the Scientologists think we're all descendents of space aliens, but it's questionable whether I'd call that a religion or not. One thing is for sure according to science: as Moby says, we're all made of stars.

I guess I don't get hung up on there being a singular religion of absolute truth. To try to simplify where I am, I see that almost all religions are like colored glasses through which the people of different cultures and times perceive a shared sense of existence and their relationship with things greater than themselves. It's almost as if they are all different parables that tell common stories in their own way. To me, it also has a large element of the Hindu fable of the blind men and the elephant as well.

Oh, I still have my doubts about whether some eternal creator exists per se -- as if the concept of what a "creator" really means is something that's not just a construct for our feeble brains. But what I find intriguing is the concept of all these cultures from different lands and times, often not even meeting each other in the past at all before these concepts were brought out, and yet they have innately come out with identical questions about life and existence ... and with very similar if not identical stories and explanations for it.

That, to me, is in itself almost a miracle of truth. As if every human throughout history was born with some kind of common signature in how humans think and feel about themselves in the world, and how they have a need for explanations, and how come to explain it. Philsophers like Martin Heidegger and some modernist contemporaries like Vaclav Havel and comparative religion types like Joseph Campbell have also referred to a sort of common "antenna" that's innate to all humans and broadcasts these common signals.

Again, probably too much to get into here. I've gone on in other threads, for example, how the main stories of Christianity are largely knockoffs of what you can find in the ancient religions of Sumeria some 4,000 years before Christ.

I just watched a south park episode about scientology yesterday. Jesus, I thought they were making that shit up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)