Moggi's biggest mistake(s)? (1 Viewer)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Lets see what was Moggi's biggest mistake ...
I wanna know from all of you....

1-Selling Zidane

2-Selling two talented players ( Micco , Maresca )...

My answer is 2..
i know zidane is one of the best players that came in football generation, but still giving two of our best talented young players is big mistake V BIG!

Anyhow hope it wont disturb you this thread !

Buy on AliExpress.com

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Selling Zidane wasn't mistake at all... Biggest mistakes are Di Vaio, Baiocco, Zenoni and Athirson...

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Definitely number 2. Zidane wanted to leave and we made alot of money from his sale, but in Miccoli and Maresca we have, more like had now, two players who wanted nothing more than to be given a real chance to prove themselves. Both Fabrizio and Enzo are extremely talented guys and I'm sure they'll succeed with Fiorentina.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I don't know why we have to keep opening up new threads about Moggi's errors.. its really quite depressing

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I don't know about biggest but there have been a bunch of deals struck that in hindsight don't seem like the best piece of business.

Acquisitions:
Dimas
Esnaider
Paramatti
Athirson
Moretti
Salas
Fresi
Zenoni £14m in the Inzaghi sale
O'Neill
Baiocco
Di Vaio E26m
Legrottaglie
Zebina??

Sales:
Ravanelli
Vieri £10m
Boksic
Henry
Davids (even though signing him in the first place was brilliant)
Di Vaio E10m
Maresca
Miccoli

Jul 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
I don't know about biggest but there have been a bunch of deals struck that in hindsight don't seem like the best piece of business.

Acquisitions:
Dimas
Esnaider
Paramatti
Athirson
Moretti
Salas
Fresi
Zenoni £14m in the Inzaghi sale O'Neill
Baiocco
Di Vaio E26m
Legrottaglie
Zebina??

Sales:
Ravanelli
Vieri £10m
Boksic
Henry
Di Vaio E10m
Maresca
Miccoli
in hinsight, moggi appears a bit hit and miss really!

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
Selling Davids.
I disagree. Davids was going to ask for a boat load of cash with his contract about to expire, he refused to play for us until that was settled, and he ended up with the highest bidder anyway.

His absence helped screw our defensive efforts last season, no question. But these are the economic choices you have to make when you're still 15MM EUR in the red for the year.

ahmed_sabry

Jan 31, 2004
selling zidane wasnt mistake 4 sure
we bought buffon , nedved & thuram and we succeeded to win the league after he went so it wasn't mistake

but selling maresca , miccoli , henry r fatal mistakes

also buying
fresi , zbena & extend ferara contract r fatal mistakes also

i will never understand moggi , he do a great deals & do stupid deals in the same time !!!!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Acquisitions:
Dimas
Esnaider
Paramatti
Athirson
Moretti
Salas
Fresi
Zenoni £14m in the Inzaghi sale
O'Neill
Baiocco
Di Vaio E26m
Legrottaglie
Zebina??

Sales:
Ravanelli
Vieri £10m
Boksic
Henry
Di Vaio E10m
Maresca
Miccoli
Only Now all these acquisitions seem like mistakes, but at the time, many of these moves didn't seem like a mistake. Many of the players underperformed or were sidelined by the coach.

Esnaider: He was actually promising and if i remember correctly, he was suppsed to help out because Del Piero had that terrible injury in Nov98. Expectation were too high (He had to fill DPs shoes). Inzaghi ended up playing as the lone striker most game. Esnaider was also hit with so many injuries.

Athirson: Smart move... we needed someone to replace Pessotto. We didn't give him many chances. whatever chances he got, he messed up too. can't blame Moggi for this either.

Moretti: Average buy. not terrible. we didn't pay too much for him. He's still young after all and plays for the U-21 team. We'll see what happens.

Salas: We sold Kova and Inzaghi for a good amount of money so it was natural that we had to get a proven serie A goal scorer. I personally hated the move because I was never a fan of Salas and the fee paid to lazio was a bit high, but I wouldn't call this a "terrible" move.

Zenoni £14m in the Inzaghi sale I didn't know it was that much!! didn't we sell inzaghi for £16m and Zenoni came the other way? does that mean that Inzaghi was worth £30m?!!

Di Vaio E26m: again, we needed an attacker, but i agree, we paid too much for him.

Legrottaglie: At the time, he was a great buy! he just hasn't delivered.

Moggi can only do so much.. He can't predict the future... he just makes the deals...
I dont think Moggi's fantastic, but he's good enough. He can't be blamed for all of that!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

I disagree. Davids was going to ask for a boat load of cash with his contract about to expire, he refused to play for us until that was settled, and he ended up with the highest bidder anyway.

His absence helped screw our defensive efforts last season, no question. But these are the economic choices you have to make when you're still 15MM EUR in the red for the year.
I applaud Moggi for standing by the budget against David's' demands agaist the fans' will. I like Davids as a player, but no player is bigger than the club.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Well, he wasnt being unreasonable. After the amount of time he spent with us, all he wanted was to be on the same boat as the other stars on our team.
I dont know if you noticed, but David's departure affected the balance of our team a great deal, both in defense like you said as well as the midfield. The recently concluded transfer campaign wouldve been a much prettier picture had davids still been here. Yes we probably were in the red financially speaking, but we still made room to accomodate Trez's request of a higher salary somehow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)