out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Results matter, but of course they are not the only important thing. Winning new fans with good football is important as well.

Now, we play terrible football. If we still do this with Pogba, Di Maria, Chiesa and Vlahovic in the line-up at the same time, with Cuadrado as an added value to them, then fuck it, I won't be satisfied only with 1:0 late wins. I'd be pissed to watch us as equals against Cremonese, Monza, Empoli and the likes. But with this hilarious team it's crazy to expect any better. I'm actually thrilled to win matches with these non-footballers.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 16, 2020
Again, in which objective metric do exciting, fast teams win more than the others? That's what I am talking about, not disagreeing that exciting style of play is more enjoyable.

Prime example of Juventus this season - no change in style of play but we win more now than we did in the beginning.

Zero relevance to anything other than aesthetics. ZERO. No correlation between results and style of play, never was, never will be.
If we look to the Juve of the past decade: we became really good when our style of play was obvious. Conte’s high squad discipline in the 352 with wingbacks and b2b midfielders who penetrated the opponents defence launched a great era.

The 2015 adjustment of Allegri employing the 4312 with all our best midfielders playing, pretty balanced overal but he got the best out of Vidal and Tevez giving them freedom.

Or in 2017 when he switched to 4231, overal a very attacking setup where we exploited the wings and with Dybala as 10 who could work his magic.

I do think that there’s a correlation between a style of play that fits the team and good results. And I don’t think that it’s something strange. There’s a reason why some styles became famous: totaalvoetbal, catenaccio, tiki taka, gegenpressing etc. But it all comes down to having a group of players who are capable to execute a certain style, for example Sarri playing tiki taka with Matuidi and Sandro is hopeless. Tiki taka did not only elevate Barcelona, it made Spain win 3 major tournaments in a row.

Right now this team is still to much in development to execute a certain style . Allegri wants to win and rightfully so, overal he clearly worked on the mental aspect and the defence. Maybe when everyone is fit we’ll see a more defined approach than just winning.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Which top 5 league winners over the past decade, other than Juventus, deployed a slow, mostly defensive approach? Liverpool, City, Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG, Chelsea, et cetera. Even Conte's Chelsea didn't sit back and hope to nick a 1-0. Even Leicester City had a balanced game and wasn't just sit back and hope like the current Juventus stilo.

There's a difference between being balanced and being outright god-awful to watch, which is what we are. We don't have much quality either, unless you prefer watching 11 men behind the ball.
But why are you so obsessed with Allegri and the current team, I am not talking about that.

Did Juventus from 5 years ago deploy a hope to nick 1-0 style?

I never mentioned this current team, you took my general statement about football styles to mean I am somehow defending Allegri or whatever.

First of all - Idc about style. I enjoy good defense as much as I enjoy good offense. So if Allegri was every truly awful as people describe it I wouldn't fight that because Idc, I don't take being ugly and defensive as an insult (again not talking about this current team)

Second of all - We are not winning right now because of style and we weren't losing earlier because of style. We are winning now because we got a little bit healthier, we are much better physically and mentally and everyone cares and is pulling in the same direction

If people prefer to sit back and defend all game long because that's the style they enjoy, fine, whatever. But don't blow smoke up people's asses by normalizing farting around for 85 minutes struggling against inferior opponents at home is something acceptable. The whole point of the game is to score and win.
Again, WHERE?

You took my general statement and built it in your head as something related to Allegri. You're obsessed.

The whole point of the game is to win. End of. HOW you do it makes no fucking difference whatsoever. Whether you like it or not doesn't matter, but winning slow, ugly, fast or exciting does not change the fact it's 3 pts at the end of the day. Whole point.

- - - Updated - - -

If we look to the Juve of the past decade: we became really good when our style of play was obvious. Conte’s high squad discipline in the 352 with wingbacks and b2b midfielders who penetrated the opponents defence launched a great era.

The 2015 adjustment of Allegri employing the 4312 with all our best midfielders playing, pretty balanced overal but he got the best out of Vidal and Tevez giving them freedom.

Or in 2017 when he switched to 4231, overal a very attacking setup where we exploited the wings and with Dybala as 10 who could work his magic.

I do think that there’s a correlation between a style of play that fits the team and good results. And I don’t think that it’s something strange. There’s a reason why some styles became famous: totaalvoetbal, catenaccio, tiki taka, gegenpressing etc. But it all comes down to having a group of players who are capable to execute a certain style, for example Sarri playing tiki taka with Matuidi and Sandro is hopeless. Tiki taka did not only elevate Barcelona, it made Spain win 3 major tournaments in a row.

Right now this team is still to much in development to execute a certain style . Allegri wants to win and rightfully so, overal he clearly worked on the mental aspect and the defence. Maybe when everyone is fit we’ll see a more defined approach than just winning.
We became really good when we had a set way of playing yes, but it didn't matter what way of playing that was. We did it in different ways but we were good because we had a good team, good coach etc. Not because Allegri chose a specific style and said this is going to make us good. He adapted to the team and that's the key. It is important to have a way of playing, but not what kind of style it is.

Yes, the reason those styles became popular is because they won. They had great players, great coaches and won titles while being aesthetically pleasing. And they didn't become popular because of the style but because of the players being capable of playing a certain way. As you said you put Matuidi in there it burns down, but there are other ways of playing where he can more than contribute.

Last edited:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Szczesny; Danilo, Bremer, Gatti; Kostic, McKennie, Locatelli, Fagioli, Soule, Miretti, Milik

This above was our starting XI against Cremonese. Since they were wearing a Juve jersey, we automatically expected them to annihilate Cremonese. Milan and Inter fans would have expected the same if they wore a Milan or an Inter jersey.
But take a look at these names, put them in a Torino jersey, and tell me honestly what would you expect from such a team? Not even a top 7 finish, let's be honest.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Szczesny; Danilo, Bremer, Gatti; Kostic, McKennie, Locatelli, Fagioli, Soule, Miretti, Milik

This above was our starting XI against Cremonese. Since they were wearing a Juve jersey, we automatically expected them to annihilate Cremonese. Milan and Inter fans would have expected the same if they wore a Milan or an Inter jersey.
But take a look at these names, put them in a Torino jersey, and tell me honestly what would you expect from such a team? Not even a top 7 finish, let's be honest.
That's definitely a top 7 starting 11. Top 4 even. Soule is the big stinker and Gatti the liability. Otherwise it's underwhelming but not terrible.

Except Danilo, he's the only adult in our squad and I love him

Aug 2, 2005
Allegri's next focus must be the offensive part of our game after bringing defensive stability to our game.
I am not sure that this is an Allegri thing.
If I am not mistaken.. he leaves this to players' creativity rather than working on it in training.

You could easily see that in our game, even if we counter 5 to 3 (like the last game as one of many examples), you can see that it is up to players to read the situation and react and that they are not trained on what situation to expect and no instructions on where to move.

Anyway, still, I am not sure that Allegri put much effort on coaching/training the so called "offensive part"

Aug 2, 2005
Results matter, but of course, they are not the only important thing. Winning new fans with good football is important as well.

Now, we play terrible football. If we still do this with Pogba, Di Maria, Chiesa, and Vlahovic in the line-up at the same time, with Cuadrado as an added value to them, then fuck it, I won't be satisfied only with 1:0 late wins. I'd be pissed to watch us as equals against Cremonese, Monza, Empoli, and the like. But with this hilarious team, it's crazy to expect any better. thrilled to win matches with these non-footballers.
Thank so much for this post.
Esp. On the part of winning new fans (customers) to sustain the business.

This is literally like Nokia (Allegri/Juventus) not going for the smartphone (attractive football) business.

I would bit in the last 3 years we gained ZERO new fans outside of Italy. Football by itself is not "the sport" with the Z generation anymore. how are we going to sustain and compete is beyond me!

"Non-attractive football" debates were fine When we were winning locally and had been a black horse or an annoying opponent in CL (relatively punching above weight).. even when we failed miserably in some cases (Villarreal, Ajax, Porto, Lyon).

Attractive can also be "fight to the last second" not just style.

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
Win a CL title anyway possible and see how many fans jump on board. Of course it's boring as hell and wanted Max gone but have to admit he's getting results with lady on his side. Results is all that matters to me. Let's see what away match to Napoli shows us. Underdog of course but win and only 4 points below.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
Give Allegri a squad like PSG or Real Madrid and he'll probably deliver results and win them trophies.

This Juventus team with budget constraints needs a little bit more than just 'solidifying' the defense.

Shithousing to 1-0 wins atm is fine which ensures stability and short term gain but this once again leaves big question marks over whether Juventus can evolve and develop a long term identity that can enable them to compete with the elite.

Juventus cannot compete financially in order to build an elite level team for the future and for this reason, they are heavily reliant on the youth sector and the coaching staff to get the best out of the available resources.

Is Allegri the right coach to take us in that direction? I really don't think so.

Even if Allegri stays beyond this season or more, we'll once again come back to the discussion we had in 2018 where the team needed a refresh and 'new ideas'.

Unfortunately, we took a half-assed approach back then by hiring the wrong people and signing the wrong players. Let's hope we don't repeat that mistake again.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Give Allegri a squad like PSG or Real Madrid and he'll probably deliver results and win them trophies.

This Juventus team with budget constraints needs a little bit more than just 'solidifying' the defense.

Shithousing to 1-0 wins atm is fine which ensures stability and short term gain but this once again leaves big question marks over whether Juventus can evolve and develop a long term identity that can enable them to compete with the elite.

Juventus cannot compete financially in order to build an elite level team for the future and for this reason, they are heavily reliant on the youth sector and the coaching staff to get the best out of the available resources.

Is Allegri the right coach to take us in that direction? I really don't think so.

Even if Allegri stays beyond this season or more, we'll once again come back to the discussion we had in 2018 where the team needed a refresh and 'new ideas'.

Unfortunately, we took a half-assed approach back then by hiring the wrong people and signing the wrong players. Let's hope we don't repeat that mistake again.
We will.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
I am not sure that this is an Allegri thing.
If I am not mistaken.. he leaves this to players' creativity rather than working on it in training.

You could easily see that in our game, even if we counter 5 to 3 (like the last game as one of many examples), you can see that it is up to players to read the situation and react and that they are not trained on what situation to expect and no instructions on where to move.

Anyway, still, I am not sure that Allegri put much effort on coaching/training the so called "offensive part"
Allegri:The best thing at these moments is to simplify. We tried the passing moves in training yesterday and today I focused more on the mentality.
So we do try out things in training so you shouldn't listen to Lele Adani and cassano and jump to conclusions unless you are a Allegri hater.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009

True. That was not our starting XI for most of the season though was it?

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Not a chance lol. Gatti, Mckennie, Soule, Miretti, even Milik belong nowhere near a top 4 starting XI currently.
I know what you mean, but tbf we won a scudetto with Estigarribia on the left. You just need one or two really good players and the rest can be just solid. Organisation is more important in Serie A imo. I know serie A is stronger now than 10 years ago but it's not all champions league teams up in here.

That squad under Allegri? No chance. Under somebody more competent? Top 4.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I know what you mean, but tbf we won a scudetto with Estigarribia on the left. You just need one or two really good players and the rest can be just solid. Organisation is more important in Serie A imo. I know serie A is stronger now than 10 years ago but it's not all champions league teams up in here.

That squad under Allegri? No chance. Under somebody more competent? Top 4.
No we didn’t. C’mon dude. He played 720 minutes that season. I get everyone wants to romanticize the past and pretend that we won with mediocrity, but that team was vastly superior to this one in everything but the forwards. We had far more than just a couple good players. In their prime world class players in Vidal, Chiellini, Barzagli, Lichtsteiner, Marchisio, even Vucinic. A best midfielder in the sport level season from Pirlo, and one of the best goalkeepers in the sport level season from Buffon.

Are you really comparing what we have in this squad now to that squad? Lol

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
No we didn’t. C’mon dude. He played 720 minutes that season. I get everyone wants to romanticize the past and pretend that we won with mediocrity, but that team was vastly superior to this one in everything but the forwards. We had far more than just a couple good players. In their prime world class players in Vidal, Chiellini, Barzagli, Lichtsteiner, Marchisio, even Vucinic. A best midfielder in the sport level season from Pirlo, and one of the best goalkeepers in the sport level season from Buffon.

He won scudetti without Iturbe.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011

League titles maybe but CL... probably not.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011

You're completely right. It's not quite the point i intended to make but you're right.

The Milan team which won under Allegri would have been a better example, I remember that team full of shite like Boateng and Bonera but Ibra and Thiago Silva saw them through. Maybe I'm wrong about that too, wouldn't surprise me at all :grin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 205)