out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Right. I mean first of all, Dybala is not a baby anymore. And he's not really that short, he just looks like a boy. He is taller than a lot of #9s around Europe. But if you pass it to his feet, he can shield the ball. He does it all the time in midfield. Or he draws a foul. This is not like 1988 where the defender just punches you in the head and takes the ball. They can hardly do anything to you without a foul called.

But also, one of my biggest pet peeves, is that he prefers Mario's physicality but we rarely ever use his head in build up. Instead of playing through our midfield, maybe go straight from Bonucci to Mario to Ronaldo? Have we even seen that more than a couple times this year? So if you are not using Mario's biggest strength, why is he preferred there?

Ok you start Mario against Atletico. But then you are happy with 60% possession in the hands of Bentancur, Matuidi, Chiellini around midfield? Why not sacrifice some useless, dangerous (counters) possession and try having Mario knock balls down for Ronaldo? It really makes more sense to try and go station to station against Atletico away? How many teams can do that with even twice the caliber of midfielders we have?
The Atletico game is one big mess for me. Its like Cholo did some voodoo magic on Allegri and made us play exactly how he hoped for, from the lineup to the gameplan, just ideal for them.

The weird thing to me about this season is how Max didnt experiment as much as previous years, and im not only talking about Dybala CF or Berna CM, but nothing really. Early on we found this front trio of Ronaldo Dybala and Mandzu which worked great on offense due to the 3 of them being able to play all 3 attacking positions and generally them complimenting each other well, which created great dynamic in the attack. And it looks like Max was happy with that and found his formula for this season right there. Most of his new things later were within that system, either more defensive fullback(s), different kind of CMs, Costa/Berna instead of Dybala sometimes... none of it was trying out new drastic things, like going 451 in Munchen 3 years ago, or going back from 4312 to 352 that same season, introducing the 4231 out of the blue etc. It maybe made us too predictable so teams adapt a lot better to us now. The team is in dire need of fresh ideas so its time for another Max moment like those above. Hope he has it in him still

Buy on AliExpress.com

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
The Atletico game is one big mess for me. Its like Cholo did some voodoo magic on Allegri and made us play exactly how he hoped for, from the lineup to the gameplan, just ideal for them.

The weird thing to me about this season is how Max didnt experiment as much as previous years, and im not only talking about Dybala CF or Berna CM, but nothing really. Early on we found this front trio of Ronaldo Dybala and Mandzu which worked great on offense due to the 3 of them being able to play all 3 attacking positions and generally them complimenting each other well, which created great dynamic in the attack. And it looks like Max was happy with that and found his formula for this season right there. Most of his new things later were within that system, either more defensive fullback(s), different kind of CMs, Costa/Berna instead of Dybala sometimes... none of it was trying out new drastic things, like going 451 in Munchen 3 years ago, or going back from 4312 to 352 that same season, introducing the 4231 out of the blue etc. It maybe made us too predictable so teams adapt a lot better to us now. The team is in dire need of fresh ideas so its time for another Max moment like those above. Hope he has it in him still
The most shocking thing is we never tried a back 3! It gets Benatia on the field, it lets Bonucci play sweeper (the only position he can play). And look at our wingbacks: Cancelo, Cuadrado, Spina, Alex Sandro. And you can play Dybala in the middle. He has worked in the 3-5-2 before.

3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1. You can get a lot of players in their preferred positions.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
The most shocking thing is we never tried a back 3! It gets Benatia on the field, it lets Bonucci play sweeper (the only position he can play). And look at our wingbacks: Cancelo, Cuadrado, Spina, Alex Sandro. And you can play Dybala in the middle. He has worked in the 3-5-2 before.

3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1. You can get a lot of players in their preferred positions.
It's because there is no room for Mandzukic in a 3-5-2 and it is obvious that Allegri wants Mandzukic on the pitch.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
How? Clearly ronaldo and dybala are unbenchable and playing the trio doesnt work so what do you suggest?

- - - Updated - - -

Im tired of ppl thinking that is what we employ
Yet Dybala gets benched wayyyyy before Mario does.

Dybala does not have and has not earned that title...”unbenchable”

- - - Updated - - -

It's because there is no room for Mandzukic in a 3-5-2 and it is obvious that Allegri wants Mandzukic on the pitch.
:tup:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
433, 352, etc... I dont think formation is the main issue for our lacklustre performances. It's our mentality that prevents to play to our potential, extremely cagey approach in some European games, which is down to Max and we also need a leader in the midfield, someone who will put a stamp on the game, which is down to management.

"I still feel we can make it through :xfinger:"

Last edited:

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Well the big problem for a few years now is that Allegri cannot find a consistent position for Dybala. His refusal to try him steadily as a #9 points to some sort of stubborn block in his philosophy that might not be possible to change (I posted objective stats from this year that show how often Dybala is scoring as a CF). There were lots of opportunities throughout the past couple years to try him there consistently in low pressure situations and he has refused.

So Paratici is then dealing with a situation where Dybala is "unsellable" but he does not provide "unsellable" impact to the team. Now there's another "problem" coming for Paratici because he just spent a ton of money on Ramsey and explicitly stated that Ramsey's best position is mezzala.

So where does a mezzala play? In a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2. But in a 4-3-3, Allegri will use Dybala at RW and that's a disaster. So in a 4-3-3, Allegri is already telling you that two of your biggest players (Ramsey + Dybala) cannot play together. That is a big problem. Of course if Dybala plays RW, then you spent 80M for bench players (Berna/Costa). Another problem.

If you choose a 3-5-2 then Dybala, again, has to play as a CF. There is no escape from this fact!

Again, this is like the Benatia-Bonucci situation where Paratici should be able to see the what's going to happen. So either you bend over backwards to sell and buy multiple players, most likely including Dybala, or you simply change the coach.

As far as replacements, I guess there's Zidane and Deschamps. To be honest, I do agree with a lot of Sarri's tactical principals (e.g. somehow Mertens is a #9 that can score 30 goals and Dybala isn't? Really, a converted winger can score for fun under Sarri but Max can't find a way for Dybala to score?) but I would not want him as manager.

If I could find a profile like Sarri but mentally stable and slightly more adaptable and pragmatic then I would pick that guy. I prefer a 4-3-3 like how Sarri plays. It's fine if you have Ronaldo on the left and in defense you have to defend with a 4-4-2 instead of a real 4-5-1, it's not a big issue.

But to put it bluntly, failing to improve the team when you add Ronaldo is a huge indictment on the coach. It seems almost impossible that could happen.
Maybe a better option is going down a diluted version of the prem route and giving the manager a tad bigger say in transfers rather than throwing some random son at him. I guess in some cases it helps well travelled coaches who bring in their ex players.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Apr 19, 2007
Im not sure a change in formation is the problem. Its really just the ability to execute this season. Our game plan has been very focused on certain things, Maybe we need a fresh aproach. What if we get Zidane and he benches Dybala like he did with Bale? Would we be upset? Maybe we need a new approach and stop rewarding unproductive play

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
RO16 exit renders this season a massive failure. In fact, anything other than a narrow exit, where we give it our all against a top top opponent in the CL semis or final (sorry, but Atletico are not a top top opponent; a very solid team, but losing to them is an upset and a massive letdown) will render this season a disappointment.

Allegri has not earned the right to decide his future. In a season where we potentially end up having the least number of trophies since he took over, playing the most drab football, looking lost, lacking in ideas and motivation, in addition to being humiliated in the Coppa by Atalanta definitely requires the board to seriously reconsider his position.

Out in the round of 16 in the CL and the Coppa Italia too means the season can't be salvaged, not even with a record points tally in Serie A.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
RO16 exit renders this season a massive failure. In fact, anything other than a narrow exit, where we give it our all against a top top opponent in the CL semis or final (sorry, but Atletico are not a top top opponent; a very solid team, but losing to them is an upset and a massive letdown) will render this season a disappointment.

Allegri has not earned the right to decide his future. In a season where we potentially end up having the least number of trophies since he took over, playing the most drab football, looking lost, lacking in ideas and motivation, in addition to being humiliated in the Coppa by Atalanta definitely requires the board to seriously reconsider his position.

Out in the round of 16 in the CL and the Coppa Italia too means the season can't be salvaged, not even with a record points tally in Serie A.
With hindsight going out of the Coppa Italia is terrible. In previous years at least, we did the double if we failed in CL and that wasn't too bad, even go as far as recomforting. Finishing with only the Scudetto feels wrong.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I'm ok with losing, but I'm not ok with losing in that manner. Against both Atalanta and ATM we lacked hunger, focus and discipline. Perhaps against Atalanta we can use the excuse that we had injuries, it's only a coppa game, but in our most important appointment of the season we failed to show up. No excuses! No alibis! We got owned and embarrassed. Sure, we still have time to turn it around, but it's going to be incredibly difficult, and we only have ourselves to blame.

Our shitty football has been there for all to see. Things haven't improved with the arrival of Ronaldo; we scraped by Spurs (clinical yes, but also extremely fortuitous) and then almost eliminated Madrid in a huge upset (again, we could've put ourselves in a better position had we not fucked up the home tie). We, Allegri especially, doesn't seem to learn from these mistakes. That 2017 is a long way away now, and I feel it broke the squad and destroyed his confidence, in that particular competition, as a coach.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009

I'd say he has, based on the previous years. Doesn't matter anyway, as it will not be up to him to decide in the first place.
For what it's worth, I think Allegri will finish this season regardless of the results (unless of course we drop our lead in the league). After that, who knows...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 15, Guests: 100)