Martin Cáceres (7 Viewers)

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
I agree that he is better at RB. However, I don't like leaving Licht on the bench. And when Caceres hits form, its difficult to leave him on the bench as well. However, I woulc easily see Evra on the bench and switch Asa to the midfield, especially since we have a shortage there. Yes Conte used him there every now and then, but I would like to see something more consistent at some point.
Perhaps, but in that sense I would be more excited to the prospect of signing a real LB with quality enough to strengthen the starting XI. If Caceres is better as a LB than Evra I really don't know, maybe you're right? Defensively, I would assume so but perhaps not offensively. Hence, I would prefer letting Evra go during this summer, sign someone who significantly improves our quality in the LB position, and keep Caceres as rotational option all over the defense. All players will dip in form throughout the season and they will need rest, so Caceres will still play a lot. At least for the summer, I want us to take a step further and strengthen the team. Feels like we've mainly tried to strengthen our depth during the recent years.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Sad Statue

wannabe Bart Simpson
Mar 28, 2006
Perhaps, but in that sense I would be more excited to the prospect of signing a real LB with quality enough to strengthen the starting XI. If Caceres is better as a LB than Evra I really don't know, maybe you're right? Defensively, I would assume so but perhaps not offensively. Hence, I would prefer letting Evra go during this summer, sign someone who significantly improves our quality in the LB position, and keep Caceres as rotational option all over the defense. All players will dip in form throughout the season and they will need rest, so Caceres will still play a lot. At least for the summer, I want us to take a step further and strengthen the team. Feels like we've mainly tried to strengthen our depth during the recent years.
This is a bit unfair for Caceres though. When he hits form, he is really good. If he advances a bit more, I am not sure if himself would be ok to be at the bench. I wouldn't. A natural LB would be the best of course. But I am speaking based on the current roster. If we have money, I would rather we spend those on an AMC and use Martin as a LB.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Well since Asa is out at the moment and Evra can't play every game there is room for Caceres to prove himself as LB. The same goes for Chiellini and Bonucci who will need to recovery and Barza will likely not be himself ever again. On the other hand, Padoin has done really well IMO as LB. Maybe you are right, AMC/winger or whatever system we end up with, is perhaps more acute than signing another LB. As long as Evra, Asa, Caceres, Padoin can compete for the position.

Finally, I would not want Caceres to be happy sitting on the bench. We need one versatile player who can happily do that (Padoin atm, previously Giaccherini), otherwise there should be competition keeping everyone on their toes. Hopefully Allegri will rotate more than Conte did so people are more happy and get more chances to prove the previous selections were based on merits and not form.

Summary ( :p ), sure, give him a shot! ;)

Nov 17, 2012
He's likely got muscle fatigue because of his recent layoff after he blew him hamstring out against Roma and isn't at full game fitness. Once those things (hamstrings) let go a few times it becomes a downward spiral that often ends in tears, and a player of any sport will lose their pace and off the line acceleration (which are both strong points of Martin's attributes as a defender). I'm actually pleased to see him rested, it means that they aren't rushing him back, are being as responsible and not placing too much duress on him whilst getting back into full fitness and condition.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Good to see that we are learning from the mistake we did with Vidal. Caceras seems to be really unlucky with injuries so far in his Juve career.

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
He's likely got muscle fatigue because of his recent layoff after he blew him hamstring out against Roma and isn't at full game fitness. Once those things (hamstrings) let go a few times it becomes a downward spiral that often ends in tears, and a player of any sport will lose their pace and off the line acceleration (which are both strong points of Martin's attributes as a defender). I'm actually pleased to see him rested, it means that they aren't rushing him back, are being as responsible and not placing too much duress on him whilst getting back into full fitness and condition.
Robben didn't seem to have that problem of getting slower after problems with his hamstrings for years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)