Martin Cáceres (18 Viewers)

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Haha not really. It would be easier to communicate with Buffon and Chiellini though. Italian CBs have always been some of the most dominant on the planet, I trust them more. They are generally tougher, smarter and more consistent IMO.

For some reason italian CBs are breed like race horses in Italy.
I'm sure Kjaer has no problems communicating in Italian at this stage.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Haha not really. It would be easier to communicate with Buffon and Chiellini though. Italian CBs have always been some of the most dominant on the planet, I trust them more. They are generally tougher, smarter and more consistent IMO.
That used to be the case.

I'm not convinced it is any more, though.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Well, these 3 young CBs could prove otherwise in the next 2-3 years. We need to get one this summer. (Or Kjaer). There is no reason any other CB inside our outside of Italy needs to be mentioned.

May 22, 2007
I'm wondering where all the "Caceres is returning from injury, give him time" talk is, like that given to the overrated goon Iaquinta who apparently has been recovering from injury for three years now.

Double standards abound.
Few people will look at it like that though. It's either play amazing or he's crap. He was okay yesterday for someone missing 3 months of football. His pass to Marchisio who then skied an easy shot was good, deserved a finish.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I like this boy. He impresses me going forward, but he needs to be more disciplined at the back. I think his passing despite a few being off target was quite good in a first game back from injury. I still take him over all our right back options in the squad. I'm sure he's barely developed after this constantly interupted season.

You can teach a player to pass better, you can teach a player to cover better. You can't teach a player desperation and good mentallity. That's what I think this kid has, a great mentallity that our whole squad lacks. He is always after the ball. The thing that pains me most is watching Diego for example dribble the ball, lose it and immediately give up and the same goes for 70% of our squad. Caceras will pressure the opposition at any given opportunity, he persists at the ball with first, second and third efforts which reminds me of Cannavaro in his glory days. That mentallity is essential in defenders and hard to come by in football.

His desperation and mentallity mind you isn't the only reason I like him. Like I said he's quite good going forward his passing was pretty smart, he would think before he crossed the ball in the box (e.g if he found a free player sitting outside the box he'd opt for that, which I think is the best way to get the ball closer to goal without risking turning it over eventuating in a counter attack + that player was usually Diego who is the most effective passer in the team. It also makes out attacks less predictable to opponents). He also links up relatively well on the wings I've seen some impressive runs from him.

If we can find a better RB going for 10m this mercato then by all means send him back to Barca. To me he looks like a decent prospect worth investing in. I don't blame him for not developing in this sorry excuse for a team.

May 21, 2008
We should switch him to RM :D , sounds insane but realistically he must be anywhere far from our defense next year , he have pace but he truly cant defend as what i saw this year at least .

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
He is not that bad at defending. He certainly has the guts and heart, he just needs to work on his timing and patience. Learn the art of tackling and positioning.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
So basically, he needs to learn how to defend?
He can already defend. He just makes silly mistakes. No more or less than what Chiellini did and still does from time to time when he was younger. I don't see what the problem is.

Montero was a great defender but I don't see anybody knocking him considering how many PKs he had given away...same goes for Iuliano...those two together:sergio:

Fuck guys, the boy will learn. All young defenders make mistakes. Hell 6 months ago Kjaer was the new Messiah and now look how many people are changing their minds or having second thoughts. Give it time, damn.

Take it from a guy who played defense his entire life, its pretty much all I ever know how to play and play it well. Caceres's problems are not that big if you have an intelligent coach that knows how to iron it out.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Its annoying, it really is. We want younger players but when we talk about the younger defenders in the other threads then suddenly "they are too young to take a risk or inexperienced" blah blah blah. All defenders have to learn somehow, don't they?

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
I was just messing about, replying to what you said with a joke. Have I hit a nerve? :p

I don't know what to make of Cáceres myself. I want to give him a shot because I know what the current alternatives are, but I don't know whether he's the starting RB we want, when we're looking at rebuilding a team.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Yes, a nerve was hit. I think we should try him out. We depending on Zebina back in the day and he was never that good at defending. I see no reason why we shouldn't try.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Trying players out is what you do when you get a player on loan, like we did Cáceres this year. Thing is, we still don't really know what to make of him, as it's also hard to judge players after a terrible overall season.

12m ( or what was his pricetag again? ) is pretty high, and he seems quite a big risk still. Maybe re-loan, if that's possible? I really don't know.

What are the alternatives? It's not like good RBs are lying around on the floor for us to pick up.

Like I said, I don't know what to make of him. He could come good, he could not improve at all, which would not really make him the reliable back we need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)