Luis Suárez (2 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
im not no but i find peoples double standards and moral posturing pretty funny, take for example miguel herrera whos being hailed as the best thing since sliced bread, somebody posted a video of him assaulting and sending a man to the hospital, of course people thought that was funny and cool.

- - - Updated - - -

100% agreed, a real class act and truly empathetic, chiellini knows a thing or two about the game and the dirty stuff that goes on, grabbing balls rib punches... that is why i dont really get the super indignation, i think most here are being taken for a ride by the media.

Hold on a second here, man. Isn't there, at some point, a certain line that you just can't cross?

Yes, rabbit punches, and flicks to the privates have been part of the game for a century now, an unspoken law that although its not acceptable, it happens, and you move on. But biting is something that to me, is on a whole different level. What if he ends up drawing blood on a player that he bites. That has ramifications that could go beyond sporting etiquette. You could potentially be talking about health ramifications.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that you know where I'm getting at. And I'm not implying that Suarez is in any way infected with any sort of transmittable disease, but you can see where I'm going with this.

He has to stop this. This is a really bad precedent that he is setting here.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Hold on a second here, man. Isn't there, at some point, a certain line that you just can't cross?

Yes, rabbit punches, and flicks to the privates have been part of the game for a century now, an unspoken law that although its not acceptable, it happens, and you move on. But biting is something that to me, is on a whole different level. What if he ends up drawing blood on a player that he bites. That has ramifications that could go beyond sporting etiquette. You could potentially be talking about health ramifications.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that you know where I'm getting at. And I'm not implying that Suarez is in any way infected with any sort of transmittable disease, but you can see where I'm going with this.

He has to stop this. This is a really bad precedent that he is setting here.

you're right, any dangerous & violent behavior should be curbed no question, i just prone consistency, intentional elbows should be dealt with the same way if not worse considering they are more dangerous. Problem is fifas only acting to assuage the press and its demands, a press mostly english and mostly biased agianst suarez to begin with

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
you're right, any dangerous & violent behavior should be curbed no question, i just prone consistency, intentional elbows should be dealt with the same way if not worse considering they are more dangerous. Problem is fifas only acting to assuage the press and its demands, a press mostly english and mostly biased agianst suarez to begin with
I'll answer this in two parts

Firstly, any tactic that could potentially cause serious harm in a sport where the endgame is not to cause more physical harm on your opponent should be dealt with severely. There's a difference between playing hard and playing dirty. In my playing days in various sports, I always did my best to lean towards the former, even if I ran into opponents that were more inclined towards the latter.

Secondly, in reference to your last part. I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. We are not talking about a first time incident, nor are we talking about the first time he has been punished over this. Whether it was harsh or not doesn't change the fact that he has brought this on himself, and he has no one to blame but himself. And I think, that more than anything else, what bothers me about this is his refusal to take any sort of responsibility for his actions.

He is a public figure. A public figure who makes millions upon millions playing a kids game, and has the adoration of millions of people around the world. Well, whether he wants to accept it or not, that comes with a price. Being a public figure comes at a cost, and that cost is that you have to uphold yourself to a different standard, whether you asked for it or not.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
im not no but i find peoples double standards and moral posturing pretty funny, take for example miguel herrera whos being hailed as the best thing since sliced bread, somebody posted a video of him assaulting and sending a man to the hospital, of course people thought that was funny and cool.

- - - Updated - - -

100% agreed, a real class act and truly empathetic, chiellini knows a thing or two about the game and the dirty stuff that goes on, grabbing balls rib punches... that is why i dont really get the super indignation, i think most here are being taken for a ride by the media.
Exactly. People are getting riled up by the media.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I want you guys to kick both the fake country belgieum out, and Argentina out, you still have a mission. Suarez accomplished his, accomplish yours. Lets get it USA!

- - - Updated - - -

then the dutch/mexican knock you out

- - - Updated - - -

Mexico-USA semi final would be NIIIIIICE!!!!
You're cheering for the USA? You are so not a Canadian... :sergio:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I'll answer this in two parts

Firstly, any tactic that could potentially cause serious harm in a sport where the endgame is not to cause more physical harm on your opponent should be dealt with severely. There's a difference between playing hard and playing dirty. In my playing days in various sports, I always did my best to lean towards the former, even if I ran into opponents that were more inclined towards the latter.

Secondly, in reference to your last part. I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. We are not talking about a first time incident, nor are we talking about the first time he has been punished over this. Whether it was harsh or not doesn't change the fact that he has brought this on himself, and he has no one to blame but himself. And I think, that more than anything else, what bothers me about this is his refusal to take any sort of responsibility for his actions.

He is a public figure. A public figure who makes millions upon millions playing a kids game, and has the adoration of millions of people around the world. Well, whether he wants to accept it or not, that comes with a price. Being a public figure comes at a cost, and that cost is that you have to uphold yourself to a different standard, whether you asked for it or not.

I never said he shouldnt be punished, all i am saying is he should be punished at least on par with offenders who in my book do much worse, intentional elbows are thrown on a regular basis with several being from repeat offenders.

You might think it's cynical, but i feel most of these celebrities who apologize do it for PR reasons, theres nothing to salvage for him from a PR perspective, the people he affected directly, chiellini and uruguay seem to be ok with him.

Finally, i never bought into this high profile people should act differently, imo thats a bunch of balloney. Sports, as institutions, should have an ethical code that punished infractions. But the people within it should not be measured up against some different ruler than regular folks imo

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
They get paid millions to play a game. Part of that contract is for acting as a role model for the millions of children that look up to them and want to be just like them. I'm sorry, but if they do not want to be held to a higher standard than the average folk, than find a different career that doesn't pay you millions of dollars per year.

Besides this, not biting people has nothing to do with acting differently. If someone was irritating me at my workplace, and I bit them for it, I would be charged with assault and possibly spend jail time, or be committed to an asylum. Biting is unacceptable in society, and also in a sport, this is objective. Unlike the subjectivity of determining the intent and degree of hard tackles, and flailing elbows that most often could be argued as non-intentional. Biting is intentionally malicious, no matter what, there is no subjectivity there. Minor bites are not allowed, major bites are not allowed. There is no grey area.

Stop acting like he shouldn't have known this was coming and that his ban is ridiculous. He was banned 7 games and 10 games for the first two offences. He's a complete moron if he thought a third biting offence, and on a bigger stage, where the entire world is watching, wasn't going to garner him a bigger ban than the first two. 15 games was going to be an absolute minimum. And they gave him about 23. Seems appropriate to me.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
biting not allowed but punching is? if we follow your line of diagnosing mental illness 95% of us would fall under that umbrella, I am not a mental health professional and i havent had time to diagnose suarez so unless you have you should rethink your labels. Also behavior clauses in contracts are not that for some high and noble reason, it's there to hedge investment and protect endorsements.

To speak morals, in a sport so dirty so corrupt is the real joke here, i actually agree with tabarez when he says this is football not cheap morality. I guess the moral/ethical discourse takes the back seat when the subject is the continuous cheating, diving, injury faking and intentional elbowing.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
biting not allowed but punching is? if we follow your line of diagnosing mental illness 95% of us would fall under that umbrella, I am not a mental health professional and i havent had time to diagnose suarez so unless you have you should rethink your labels. Also behavior clauses in contracts are not that for some high and noble reason, it's there to hedge investment and protect endorsements.

To speak morals, in a sport so dirty so corrupt is the real joke here, i actually agree with tabarez when he says this is football not cheap morality. I guess the moral/ethical discourse takes the back seat when the subject is the continuous cheating, diving, injury faking and intentional elbowing.
Punching is not allowed. Players get suspended for it. Two Roma players were suspended just this season for punching.

And regardless of the reasoning behind behavioural clauses, they are there, and they are appropriate. These guys are looked up to by millions of children, who want to be just like them. As I said, if they don't want the spotlight on each and every one of their actions, and do not want to held to a more severe ethical standard, then they should go work a "median" wage job, not a job that pays them millions per year.

I don't see where I am speaking morals here. Biting is not a part of the sport. Contact is. So you have objective vs subjective. It's much more difficult to judge, condemn, and punish subjective incidents as opposed to objective ones, where it is black and white, no grey area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)