Libya 2011 Demonstrations (18 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
its not a competition :D qaddafi's regime is controlling yes, but its iranian counterpart takes it to a whole new level. id describe it as libya being more tyrannical authoritarian, though qaddafi has always tried to play the idol card, but iran is through and through totalitarian, only other place i can think of is n korea.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
its not a competition :D qaddafi's regime is controlling yes, but its iranian counterpart takes it to a whole new level. id describe it as libya being more tyrannical authoritarian, though qaddafi has always tried to play the idol card, but iran is through and through totalitarian, only other place i can think of is n korea.
Pardon me, Fred.

Dee, you might find this of interest: Found it today.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Its not a competition of course Deneb. You think i'm proud of the current Libyan regime, it ashames me that this regime has represented us for the past 42 years.

Do you know, that in the 1990's a law was passed that anything Gedaffi says, i mean literally says, is considered a law. Ie it doesn't even have to be drafted and signed by him or anything, just him saying something on TV makes it a law.

Do you know that his green book is taught as a compulsory course that you have to pass in every university in Libya.

Do you know that in university you have to write essays about Gedaffi and his revolutionary ideology and compare it (positively of course) to capitalism and communism. He calls his ideology, the third universal theory.

Of course that is other than the fact that there are no political parties and never was any in Libya during Gedaffi's 42 year era. That is other than the fact that Libyan law states that anyone who doesn't subscribe to Gedaffi's green book ideology is to be put to death.

I can go on and on and on, man i'd kill to have Iran's regime instead of Gedaffi's :D

Theres a reason that UN reports always classify the Libyan regime second only to North Korea in terms of lack of freedom and totalitarianism

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Of course i don't. If someone put a gun to my head and made me choose between Iran's regime or Gedaffi's, i think it would be an easy choice. I mean come on, just look at how the two governments dealt with people protesting, while the Iranians ruthlessly used live ammunition, Gedaffi used fucking anti aircraft weapons to disperse unarmed protesters* I don't know about you, but to me that's a big difference :D

*at first, before the Libyans took up arms

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Great news today. Both Zawiya and Gheryan have been liberated by the rebels! This is big big news, means that the battle for Tripoli is soon!

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,329
    Great news today. Both Zawiya and Gheryan have been liberated by the rebels! This is big big news, means that the battle for Tripoli is soon!
    I heard battles are still going on at Zawiya. And Gheryan too? I did not hear about it.

Anyway, congrats, Fred...

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    In Zawiya there are a few snipers on top of some buildings, sooner or later they'll either surrender or get killed, as they're under siege now. Citizens of Zawyia came out in hundreds shouting Allahu Akbar in the city center, as soon as the rebels reached there. As for Gheryan, 70% is under rebel control, its only a few areas that aren't liberated yet, so in general both cities are not under complete control but for the most have been liberated.

and thanks Abed, the mad dictator's days seem to be numbered :)

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,331
    In Zawiya there are a few snipers on top of some buildings, sooner or later they'll either surrender or get killed, as they're under siege now. Citizens of Zawyia came out in hundreds shouting Allahu Akbar in the city center, as soon as the rebels reached there. As for Gheryan, 70% is under rebel control, its only a few areas that aren't liberated yet, so in general both cities are not under complete control but for the most have been liberated.

and thanks Abed, the mad dictator's days seem to be numbered :)
    Now, Reuters say that Gharyan city became under the full control of rebels. The circle is closing on the capital now from the west and the south.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Yup, the capturing of Gheryan also closes the only road from Tripoli to my city Sabha, which is where he gets most of his African mercenaries from. The capturing of Zawiya means that the coastal road to Tunisia is closed too. Now all we need is for the rebels to liberate Brega from the East, and we need Misrata's rebels to liberate Zliten fully. Then it will be the battle for Tripoli that is left only. I'm guessing that before the end of September only Tripoli will be left.

His days are well and truly numbered. Hopefully before the end of this calender year, Libya will be free of Gedaffi and his dogs.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,333
    Yup, the capturing of Gheryan also closes the only road from Tripoli to my city Sabha, which is where he gets most of his African mercenaries from. The capturing of Zawiya means that the coastal road to Tunisia is closed too. Now all we need is for the rebels to liberate Brega from the East, and we need Misrata's rebels to liberate Zliten fully. Then it will be the battle for Tripoli that is left only. I'm guessing that before the end of September only Tripoli will be left.

His days are well and truly numbered. Hopefully before the end of this calender year, Libya will be free of Gedaffi and his dogs.
    I hope it will be sooner than that.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Huge news today:

- The defection and subsequent escape of Abdel-Salam Jalood el Megrahi, one of the biggest figures in the former Gedaffi government. It was common knowledge that Jalood defected at the start of the revolution, but 3 previous escape attempts from Tripoli were unsuccessful and he was put under house arrest for 6 months now. Today he escaped Tripoli via Nafusa mountains and is now in Zintan.

- Most of Zliten has been liberated by both Misrata and Zliten rebels. There are only a few more areas in Zliten for it to be fully liberated. Khoms city which is next to Zliten already started rebelling against Gedaffi forces already in anticipation of Zliten and Misrata rebels joining them.

- The biggest news is that there are reports of Abu Slim prison being liberated and all the prisoners let out. Abu Slim prison is the worst prison in Libya, it is also the prison where the infamous Abu Slim massacre happened in 1996. Prisoners in Abu Slim are mostly prisoners of opinion, ie they are people who were opposed to the Gedaffi regime. This is huge news, not only because of its significance and not only because its the largest and worst prison in Libya, but also personally for me, because i have very close relatives that have been there for years. They've been treated the worst treatment ever, my family is over the moon about this news, but there is no way to make sure if my relatives escaped as well or not, because Gedaffi's regime has cut off all communications in Tripoli for almost a month now.

The end is very near. Today, i along with over 500 other Libyans went to the Libyan consulate and put up the independence flag. The Libyan ambassador in the UAE is now officially appointed by the Transitional National Council of Benghazi. For the first time Libyans go to the consulate voluntarily, during Gedaffi time, it was used to spy on Libyans abroad, there was too much bureucracy etc. Things are changing to the better already for Libyans :)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Huge uprisings in various areas in Tripoli. Gedaffi forces using 14.5mm bullets and anti aircraft weapons on protesters. In some areas people are armed and there are shootings. In Thahra, which is an area in Tripoli; rebels have broken into and took control of a weapon storage facility. The liberation of Tripoli has begun ladies and gentleman.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Some Lebanese channels announced that Geddafi and his sons left Libya.
    Ya these rumors have been circulating. Though to be honest whenever there is big news, there is always these rumors of Gedaffi or one of his sons dying/escaping or whatever. I don't think its true, he'll still cling on to the hope that his forces might be able to gain control of Tripoli. There are also reports of him asking Tunisia to give him political asylum but Tunisia refused.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Ya these rumors have been circulating. Though to be honest whenever there is big news, there is always these rumors of Gedaffi or one of his sons dying/escaping or whatever. I don't think its true, he'll still cling on to the hope that his forces might be able to gain control of Tripoli. There are also reports of him asking Tunisia to give him political asylum but Tunisia refused.
    Only Venzuela would accept him :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    You see the thing is there is a no fly zone, so he can't go to Venezuela without NATO's approval. NATO know that he doesn't have much bargaining power left and he's wanted for war crime charges at the ICC, so they won't let him. So his only option is countries bordering Libya. Rebels are in control of the East, that rules out Egypt. Gheryan is controlled by the rebels so that cuts off his way South, that rules out the African countries. Some coastal cities in the West are still under Gedaffi control, so that leaves just Tunisia, and they don't want him :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)