Juventus - Barcelona (8 Viewers)

Huzi

Oct 9, 2002
it's a very miserable night for me , as we are 90% out of the champions league & i see that the one & only one person responsible of this is M Lippi , cause his subs were totally wrong , if not the starting lineup itself cause he should have begun with 2 forwards (Di Viao) . . .
anyway , what is done is done / we should concentrate now on getting over thisresult by winning in the Stadio Delle Ara . . .

Buy on AliExpress.com

JKane

May 31, 2001
You know, I don't like to say this but I thought Davids didn't really contribute enough in this match. He did a lot of running about, but failed to impose himself in midfield. This led to the lack of service to the forwards. I was relying on him being the dominant force for Juve, pressing forward and terrorising Barca's holding midfielders. Didn't happen
Agreed. And then, he should have scored too. Or at least passed the ball to Camo, who was unmarked on the right. Shame he didn't.

And it's always a pleasure to visit Juventuz.com
Hehe, too true. :D

And then, it's always a pleasure to welcome some Celtic fanatic ... :D ;)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
i thought the substitutions by Lippi sucked too :groan:

what's the use of putting DV in if there's only a few minutes left in the game and DP has been creating chances.

Also, putting in Biri when Zambrotta has been doing well.
Perhaps Mr Lippi had one too many cigarres tonight, because his substitutions, as most people seem to agree, made no sense what-so-ever.

Imo Zambro was playing well, and Tudor wasn't half bad either, so I didn't really understand those... And as for the DV for DP one, the only thing I can think of that would have brought Lippi to do this was Del Piero's fitness, but then again Di Vaio was just coming back from an injury too so.. :confused:

sheva

Aug 7, 2002
Guys, guys,guys:(Stop looking at this in such a pessimistic way.
If we go into the match with the one goal lead, I dont think we would give 100%.Also, we would have played pretty defensive, like reaaly boring defensive. Now we know the seriousness of the matter and we go to win.No to ways about it. We are also overstimating the whole barca played us at home thing and we couldn't beat them so when we go away we'll loose, thats a pile of horse manure:DBarca put out their most attacking side, today, I don;t think we had our best side.Plus I'm impressed, we really made Saviola and Kluivert suffer, and we cancelled out Riquelme and Mendieta, so no worries. Lippi does know what he's doing, I also believe next match against them we'll see the unstoppable Nedved. One of our problems was really no one to cross the ball to, like Alex would come back into midfield to help, but he;s supposed to be highest upfield, so there was no target man:dazed:Anyway, next time Trez will be back, give or take some luck and we are through to the semis:D
GO ALEX GO:fero::fero::fero:

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
first of all, sorry to those I promised sommentary to, my dad chose a great day to do a defragmantation of the hard drive :rolleyes:

secondly, well I have no idea how to sum up this unbelievably lame performance, I'll leave it for somebody to put a positive spin on it, but we were piss poor yet again. Camo, Thuram, Nedved, Davids, DelPiero were all mediocre

Tacchi played well yet again though

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Di Vaio's miss - imo DV made a bad choice in trying to slip the ball around the keeper in the first place. I think he should have rounded Bonano, who was advancing so quickly that he wouldn't have had a chance if DV had went for this option, and Puyol wasn't going to catch him today or tomorrow imo.

Holden

Aug 3, 2002
For just once I would love to have a fully fit sqaud for these big games, not missing important players (Trezeguet) and players only just returning from long injuries (Del Piero, Di Vaio).

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by sheva ] ++
Plus I'm impressed, we really made Saviola and Kluivert suffer, and we cancelled out Riquelme and Mendieta, so no worries.
Did anybody else notice just how right footed Requelme is?
How many times did he turn inside from good positions just to get the ball onto his right foot?
This was very quickley picked up by our defence and I guess that's why he was subbed.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
IM with you sheva.....

ok,,some mistakes in the substitutions, but anyways,,we where already with the attack problem...a diavio out of fit, and zalayeta, he do his best, but IMO that is the best that zala can do. Lippi must tart with divaio or zala since the beggining.

Delpiero was very good,,creating chances but,,too lonely in the front.
IN general juve played a regular match, with a bed second half of course, but my only great complain was the missed shot of divaio, so so sad.

Buffon was great, saviola´s goal was not his fault.

Well now juve is in problems, we must score goals to achieve our purpose.

Juve must do a great game in the second leg. With a better attack i thing that we can do it, ok, we must cause is the only way.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
From the BBC

Barca hold Juventus

Juventus 1-1 Barcelona

Barcelona took a giant stride towards the last four of the Champions League by holding Juventus to a draw in Turin.

Juventus looked on course to establish an advantage to take to Barcelona after an early strike from Paolo Montero in the quarter-final first leg.

But Marcello Lippi's under-par side paid for a desperate lack of ambition and it was no surprise when Javier Saviola maintained Barcelona's unbeaten Champions League record with a late equaliser.

It leaves the tie balanced on a knife edge - but with Barcelona favourites to progress after the second leg in the Nou Camp in two weeks.

The first half was a desperately low-key affair in the rain-soaked Stadio delle Alpi - despite Juventus making a vital early breakthrough.

And the strike came from unlikely source of Uruguayan defender Montero, who scored from close range after Alessandro del Piero's overhead kick was blocked.

Barcelona, with an outstanding record in Europe this season, barely posed a threat until the 52nd minute, when Xavi shot wastefully straight at Gianluigi Buffon after good work by Marc Overmars.

It was a game short on quality and genuine goalscoring opportunities, but Juventus almost doubled their advantage shortly after Xavi's miss.

Gianluca Zambrotta opened up the Barcelona defence, and it took a desperate clearance from Frank de Boer and a diving save from Roberto Bonano to deny Edgar Davids and Del Piero in swift succession.

Barcelona made Juventus pay for their lack of adventure with an equaliser, and the vital away goal, with 13 minutes left.

Patrick Kluivert released Michael Reiziger, and his cross was met by Saviola, who scored via a vital deflection off Montero.

And Kluivert almost increased Juventus' agony four minutes later when he broke clear, but was denied by the legs of Buffon.

Juventus wasted a great opportunity to take lead to Catalonia when substitute Marco di Vaio was woefully off target when clean through in injury time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus: Buffon, Ferrara, Thuram, Montero, Tudor, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Tacchinardi, Davids, Nedved, Del Piero.
Subs: Chimenti, Iuliano, Birindelli, Pessotto, Conte, Di Vaio, Zalayeta.

Barcelona: Bonano, Puyol, De Boer, Reiziger, Gabri, Overmars, Xavi, Motta, Riquelme, Kluivert, Saviola.
Subs: Valdes, Andersson, Christanval, Gerard, Rochemback, Mendieta, Luis Enrique.

Referee: Michel Lubos (Slovakia).

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Well they didn't outplayed us, at least something :D With Neddy being in doubt, DP still not his old self and Trez injured it looked more worrying before the match. So the 1-1 is not all that bad. I'm sure that if we put on the old-lady grinta at NC we still have a chance :)

The 1st half was good and Barça was nowhere to see (unless you consider seeing Kluivert every few minutes opening his mouth and probably cursing the ref as a positive sign :D). We scored quite quickly and managed to press although we were in lead. Our Duracel bunny was active, although the mark of the derby on the weekend was seen. Zambrotta was also doing great and I cannot imagine (once again) why Camoranesi is considered better than him (reffering to the things I read in the Zambo topic :undecide: ). As for subbing him ... :mute: For Lippi's sake I hope he got injured during the game, although he could also be a bit tired since he did run like a ping-pong down the left side allthrough the 1st half :strong: Tacchi did his best which I cannot say for Davids. He was very eager and it's not like he didn't play good, but I have seen him more "pitbullish". Defence also did good. Their concentration dropped a bit in the 2nd half, which also lead to the Barça goal. Very unlucky! Buffon did everything and beside the goal made some great saves :strong:

Something we truly lacked: forwards! To only start with DP, who was covered or fouled (or just dived) and was IMVVVVHO not in the mood today couldn't and didn't bring goals. Why not play Zala and DV each a half and take Tudor out (midfield again huh Lippi? :rolleyes: ). He can't save us everytime. Mother Fortuna is not thát generous!

Seriously, I expected a much stronger Barça. Maybe they were defensively orientated or maybe all those wins against the "small" clubs finally showed their "worth". Hope they get their show ready till next time (not too much of course) so we'll watch a more exciting game :)

Last but not least, IMO the refs sucked. No, not just for Juve, Barça as well. Where did they see all those off-sides, especially with our grass so neatly cut :D

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Buffon - Gigi was excellent on all of the aerial crosses, and did brilliantly well to thwart Kluivert after Barca had equalised.. The goal wasn't his fault.

Thuram - Offered some useful help down the right flank, but more times than not tonite, his crosses/longballs were off target... Don't think he had too much to do defensively.

Ferrara - Average. Nothing more, nothing less.

Montero - Imo Paolo was very good. He won most, if not all of his aerial battles, tackled well, and did very well to open the scoring (it was him who kept the ball alive from Neddy's corner).

Zambrotta - Possibly our best player on the pitch. He and Davids totally shut Overmars out of the game, and he was good going forward as well. Dunno why he was subbed.

Camoranesi - An average performance from Camo.

Tacchinardi - A few reckless tackles early on, but apart from that another excellent performance from Super Tacchi :thumb:

Tudor - Probably one of the only times I've ever seen Tudor play well in midfield.

Davids - Worked hard all game. Perhaps our 3rd best player after Zambro and Tacchi.

Nedved - Despite having to pass a late fitness test, Neddy didn't stop running ( :strong: ), unfortunately it just wasn't his day.

Del Piero - In the first half Ale was much more involved than he was in the second. Imo he had the better of Puyol all night.

Zalayeta - He was brought on to make an impact upfront... but he didn't.

Birindelli - Not a bad effort from Biri....

Di Vaio - Two offside calls, a couple of give-aways, and a missed chance was all DV proved good for tonight.

Lippi - Three substitutions.. three bad ones :wallbang:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)