Juve-Basel (2 Viewers)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Thanks. Gross is playing safe and rightly so. Against Brescia we were rather flat but I believe we shall 'wake up' in the CL game. I hope Ergic does not injure himself more by insisting on playing.
I see Massimo is already stirring things up :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
No Davids eh? I have to agree with management on this one. Resting him for this match is a good call. Lazio is far stronger and Davids' services will most definitely be required.
As for tomorrow's game, a win is a must. Manure won AT Basle without several starters, so we should do just as well at home.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Juventus hope to show that their recent Serie A drop of form is not the beginning of a deeper and more dangerous crisis when they host tricky Basel at the Delle Alpi stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

Juve have yet to disappoint during Champion Leagues matches played on their home turf this season as they won all three matches played there, scoring nine goals and conceding only one.

However, this great record might be abruptly dashed as the Bianconeri have been looking everything but brilliant in their last outings.

Following a couple of impressive performances against Milan and Torino, Lippi's men showed a quite evident lack of shape over the last few weeks, and this state culminated in last Sunday's tough and unexpected loss against modest Brescia.

Basel are supposed to be the minnows of this qualifying group, and the 1-3 home defeat of the opening match against Manchester United seems to confirm this forecast, but Christian Gross' men have already showed that they are capable of giving problems to European giants such as Liverpool and Valencia.

The reigning Swiss champions might have already reached a huge goal by conquering the qualification to the second round, a feat made even more prestigious as it was at the expense of a team called Liverpool.

This was something that even the most optimistic among their fans didn't expect, but in the end having nothing to lose could be their strength.

TEAM NEWS

Good news for Juventus: for the first time this season, David Trezeguet will be in the starting lineup. The French striker has fully recovered from his injury and will pair up Alex Del Piero on the offensive line :extatic:, but he still lacks full form and coach Lippi will probably field him for just 45 minutes. Croatian defender Igor Tudor is the only unavailable player for the hosts.

No injuries or suspensions for Basel coach 'Kodjak' Gross, who will be able to field his best lineup at the Delle Alpi. In the last domestic league outing, a 4-1 away thrashing of Wil, the Swiss trainer could even afford to rest some of his key players, such as Haas and influential skipper Murat Yakin. Australian midfielder Ivan Ergic, who is owned precisely by Juventus, has recovered from a muscular injury and should be in the starting eleven.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Juventus: David Trezeguet. The French striker is the added value coach Lippi has been waiting for. It's quite clear that Juve are in trouble when Del Piero doesn't score, as all of the other strikers (Salas, Di Vaio, Zalayeta) have been quite disappointing so far. If there's a man who can solve this problem, his name is David Trezeguet.

Basel: Murat Yakin. The Basel skipper has carried out some really impressive performances in the first phase. The Swiss team will be under pressure for most of the 90 minutes, and Yakin will have to be almost perfect if the guests want to avoid a blowout.

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
Even though Juventus have been looking quite bad of late, I expect the Bianconeri to be perfectly focused on this match. Basel will likely give Lippi's men more problems than expected, especially in the first half, but in the end this should be a quite clear homewin.

Juventus 3 Basel 1

:strong::D

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
1 Gianluigi BUFFON
2 Ciro FERRARA
3 Alessio TACCHINARDI
4 Paolo MONTERO
6 Salvatore FRESI
7 Gianluca PESSOTTO
8 Antonio CONTE
9 Marcelo SALAS
10 Alessandro DEL PIERO
11 Pavel NEDVED
12 Antonio CHIMENTI
13 Mark IULIANO
14 Cristian ZENONI
15 Alessandro BIRINDELLI
16 Mauro CAMORANESI
17 David TREZEGUET
18 Marco DI VAIO
19 Gianluca ZAMBROTTA
20 Davide BAIOCCO
21 Lilian THURAM
23 Ruben OLIVERA
24 Emiliano MORETTI
25 Marcelo ZALAYETA
26 Edgar DAVIDS

Only one player is not available for Juventus-Basel: Igor Tudor. He is going on following his personal treatments after the Piacenza injury.

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
On Wednesday evening the Champions League will be back: at Delle Alpi, Juventus will host Basel, one of the revelations of the competition. Marcello Lippi: ‘’We don’t underestimate the match; I'm expecing a great Juventus, the one of the big events”.

"Basel is a team that impressed me – Lippi says – I watched them in previous matches and also in the last game of the Swiss League. They play with enthusiasm, and their game is very quick. Ergic is a good player as the others, Yakin, Rossi, Gimenez, Esposito and Atouba. We won’t understimate them; if a team is in the best Champions 16, it means something”.

"I’m expecting a great Juventus as happened in other important matches of this year. The Champions League is our goal, we never hide it”.

"We never felt unbeatable. We had a bad day in Brescia but it happens. We made some mistakes but we are still motivated. Trezeguet and Salas had some problems. Marcelo is an important player for us”.

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
Alessandro Del Piero is ready for Juventus-Basel. "We want to win. We don’t underestimate Basel but we need the points to go on in Europe. We feel that this match is very important for our Group. After the game we’ll have a long Europe rest, two months. We have to make a good job in this home match”.

"We have to be careful of all the teams. The Italian League teached us. Basel made a good job till now; they sent Liverpool packing. We estimate them”.

"We won the last matches thanks for our strong group. They helped us to improve our motivations. We are ready to take other wins but we know that we made some mistakes”.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
please guys all pray that the barca game is called off for a second night..then guess what? I can watch Juve game!! :extatic::extatic:

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
please guys all pray that the barca game is called off for a second night..then guess what? I can watch Juve game!! :extatic::extatic:
That's possible .. if the rain kept pouring ;)

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
i think the guys - above all lippi - learnt their lesson from the brescia match. hopefully juve will get back to winning ways. we need man utd and depor to draw, too. that would be nice.

SilvLightning

Sep 1, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
TEAM NEWS

Good news for Juventus: for the first time this season, David Trezeguet will be in the starting lineup. The French striker has fully recovered from his injury and will pair up Alex Del Piero on the offensive line :extatic:, but he still lacks full form and coach Lippi will probably field him for just 45 minutes. Croatian defender Igor Tudor is the only unavailable player for the hosts.
He's back! :extatic:

Nekton

Oct 22, 2001
Using Trez from the start seems like a panic decision to me, he's not yet fit and we might seriously risk his health by this. This decision is a clear message to Di Vaio/Salas/Zalayeta - "You are crap! I'd rather use a guy who is clearly unfit than using any of your sorry asses in this important game!"

I wonder if it's the right way to motivate your players Lippi...

globimbo

Dec 8, 2002
Latest new from Basel local papers:

My predictions concerning the starting 11 seem to be correct (diamond 4-4-2), so Ergic and Haas are in there, but in the written report they say "Ergic being able to play is unlikely" so I don't know what to believe. Maybe 50:50.

So, I have to go, speak to you later for the match analysis. Enjoy the game, we Basel fans will surely do so (a new estimate is talking 'bout 10'000 Swiss fans travelling to Torino...)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I just hope you guys don't expect wonders from Trez at this stage. If he misses a sitter, I hope you don't all call him crap as you have with Di Vaio

OP
jamaliano

jamaliano

Dec 7, 2002
  • Thread Starter #98
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++

Good news for Juventus: for the first time this season, David Trezeguet will be in the starting lineup. The French striker has fully recovered from his injury and will pair up Alex Del Piero on the offensive line
    i hope they are not rushing him becoz of the form of Di viao and Salas:confused: we dont want to lose him for the rest of the season.

KeNgO

Oct 28, 2002
    i am not worried about trezeguet!!! if they chose to play him then i am sure he is fit to play! maybe he can't play all 90 minutes due to fitness but we woin't be risking his injury!
    remember before the milan game and Mogi has been saying that trezeguet should be fit for the milan game!!!
    they probably kept him out to make sure he is fit!!!

guys don't worry and Keep the Faith!

Sh@d0w

Dec 7, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    I just hope you guys don't expect wonders from Trez at this stage. If he misses a sitter, I hope you don't all call him crap as you have with Di Vaio
    at least i would never call Trezegol for crap.... he aint crap... just maby not in form... we all know what he is capable to do and what this great guy done for the team. Last years Serie A top scorer cant be crap :)

love juve love trez

:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)