Juan Cuadrado (29 Viewers)

Cuads legacy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I agree on both but I can also understand people who don't. Especially since Dybala is possibly taking a paycut in his next contract.
If people want to bitch about kean then they need to provide alternatives otherwise it's just complaining to complain. As for dybala, if you asked anyone before we signed vlahovic if they rather extend dybala or get vlahovic, they all would have picked the latter. So i personally dont understand people who don't.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
:lol2:

Kean and Kaio were magnificent signings. We didn’t overpay for Vlahovic. We aren’t going to spend to spend all summer chasing Di Maria and end up with Berardi.
problem is that with so many leaving for free not bringing a cent to us we need at least 3 signings without paying else unless Exor put another 200m for the market we're out of money

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
If people want to bitch about kean then they need to provide alternatives otherwise it's just complaining to complain. As for dybala, if you asked anyone before we signed vlahovic if they rather extend dybala or get vlahovic, they all would have picked the latter. So i personally dont understand people who don't.
Not that i necessarily disagree with it but how does that stand with letting Dybala go for free and then investing as much as we are rumored to in a Berardi or a Zaniolo? How come we have the money for that but when it comes to Dybala we had to choose between renewing him or not getting Vlahovic? In my opinion we could have easily kept both if we really wanted to but clearly Dybala forced the management's hand and they made an example out of him by not renewing his contract and kicking him out, which at first sight looks like the right decision for everyone concerned, however in hindsight letting him go for free to then just go on and invest close to 40M on an inferior player that could just as easily be a flop here might eventually turn out to not be that smart of a move afterall.

It's very subjective anyway.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
Not that i necessarily disagree with it but how does that stand with letting Dybala go for free and then investing as much as we are rumored to in a Berardi or a Zaniolo? How come we have the money for that but when it comes to Dybala we had to choose between renewing him or not getting Vlahovic? In my opinion we could have easily kept both if we really wanted to but clearly Dybala forced the management's hand and they made an example out of him by not renewing his contract and kicking him out, which at first sight looks like the right decision for everyone concerned, however in hindsight letting him go for free to then just go on and invest close to 40M on an inferior player that could just as easily be a flop here might eventually turn out to not be that smart of a move afterall.

There are aspects beyond the money at play. For example, yes the money could be similar (we don't know and rumors don't count for much) but is the outcome the same? Dybala has had awful injuries these last few seasons and so has Zaniolo (don't get me started on him). But one is young and the other is not. That type of circumstances doesn't get any better. Dybala also was not doing us any favors tactically.

Let's be honest, for all his amazing play, Dybala has been a tactical nightmare most of his career here. And hats off to him for his performances in such a situation but he is a classic second striker in a era of wingers and 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 formations. How do you play him with Vlahovic and Chiesa? It was hard playing him with Ronaldo and Morata and Chiesa not due to a crowded attack but due to how the other players are fielded and how Dybala MUST be fielded himself. He is better suited for a back 3 formation and we aren't there anymore. Berardi and Zaniolo bring far less of those tactical issues. Also, the wages when balanced against injuries. Berardi and Zaniolo will be no where near the rumored 8-9m wages Dybala wanted. Probably half.

I don't think Dybala was made an example of by management in the way you make it out. I think he was made an example of in the way that management said "listen, you're not worth 9m wages anymore, we know it, you know it, you won't work with us so we won't disrespect you by offering 7m wages." And that's entirely fair. He's not worth 9-10m wages. The problem with this era of players is contract extensions with teams almost always go up and rarely go down. And that can trap teams. Dybala at 9m wages is probably more of a trap than most people would care to admit. It's a sad state of things but it's the cold truth.

I do think Berardi at anything over 30m is way too much but he also has the numbers to back it up like Dybala. So how can Sassuolo ask for less? Zaniolo I am not a fan of based on his injuries but he has the hype machine behind him in Italy.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Because it signals intent to follow a clear plan, in this case a 4-3-3 spearheaded by vlahovic, this plan has no place for dybala, but requires wingers. So even if as you say dybala total cost would have been cheaper than say berardi for 30 mil plus his wages, only the latter works for us.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Because it signals intent to follow a clear plan, in this case a 4-3-3 spearheaded by vlahovic, this plan has no place for dybala, but requires wingers. So even if as you say dybala total cost would have been cheaper than say berardi for 30 mil plus his wages, only the latter works for us.
Indeed that seems like the most reasonable explanation, case in which i sure hope we do stick to a clear plan this time around and don't end up downgrading the overall quality level in the squad more than it already is by focusing on filling the gaps for a specific formation, it's definitely avoidable, just that the management needs to make their choices very carefully.

- - - Updated - - -

There are aspects beyond the money at play. For example, yes the money could be similar (we don't know and rumors don't count for much) but is the outcome the same? Dybala has had awful injuries these last few seasons and so has Zaniolo (don't get me started on him). But one is young and the other is not. That type of circumstances doesn't get any better. Dybala also was not doing us any favors tactically.

Let's be honest, for all his amazing play, Dybala has been a tactical nightmare most of his career here. And hats off to him for his performances in such a situation but he is a classic second striker in a era of wingers and 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 formations. How do you play him with Vlahovic and Chiesa? It was hard playing him with Ronaldo and Morata and Chiesa not due to a crowded attack but due to how the other players are fielded and how Dybala MUST be fielded himself. He is better suited for a back 3 formation and we aren't there anymore. Berardi and Zaniolo bring far less of those tactical issues. Also, the wages when balanced against injuries. Berardi and Zaniolo will be no where near the rumored 8-9m wages Dybala wanted. Probably half.

I don't think Dybala was made an example of by management in the way you make it out. I think he was made an example of in the way that management said "listen, you're not worth 9m wages anymore, we know it, you know it, you won't work with us so we won't disrespect you by offering 7m wages." And that's entirely fair. He's not worth 9-10m wages. The problem with this era of players is contract extensions with teams almost always go up and rarely go down. And that can trap teams. Dybala at 9m wages is probably more of a trap than most people would care to admit. It's a sad state of things but it's the cold truth.

I do think Berardi at anything over 30m is way too much but he also has the numbers to back it up like Dybala. So how can Sassuolo ask for less? Zaniolo I am not a fan of based on his injuries but he has the hype machine behind him in Italy.
As i was saying before, it's indeed very subjective, but i do agree that the club took the right decision in letting him go given the circumstances, i just hope we don't live to regret it, which we certainly won't if we actually manage to build a proper winning team again right away.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
He ll get a new contract but hes noticably slowed down. Hes not as explosive as before, understandably considering his age, which was his main forte. But his replacements are barely proffessional football players. Hes overused, the right side of our attack, which opponents close down, since most of the threats come from his side. With Chiesa back, he ll get more space to exploit. No one bothers with Rabiot or Sandro on the left. The level of threat coming from them is commical at times.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
He ll get a new contract but hes noticably slowed down. Hes not as explosive as before, understandably considering his age, which was his main forte. But his replacements are barely proffessional football players. Hes overused, the right side of our attack, which opponents close down, since most of the threats come from his side. With Chiesa back, he ll get more space to exploit. No one bothers with Rabiot or Sandro on the left. The level of threat coming from them is commical at times.
I couldn’t agree more, even more so with the last part, which i feel was our biggest Achilles heel this season… almost everyone had us figured out from before the game started and made sure to double down on Cuadrado’s side knowing that would limit our play and force us to move the ball on the left side where we consistently had nobody able to create or pose a real threat to the opposition, which clearly got us in a lot of trouble.

If we manage to balance things out and bring in someone that can take players on and create on that left side as well then we will surely benefit from a better version of Cuadrado too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)