Jean-Claude Blanc Thread (8 Viewers)

Jun 11, 2007
This is the result of a sleepless night after defeat. Please be gentle with me. It is only my third forum post ever. The other two were not very popular (one of them was a long long time ago here) and I developed a forum-post-phobia over the years. Sorry it's so long, I promise not to write for another long long time in return!

Looking back in time, I believe the new Juve board has actually done very well. I do not like their style and direction, but they have certainly done what they wanted efficiently. They wanted to build a self-sufficient, young and popular team that plays attractive attacking football. They are on their way. I'm old fashioned and I like a traditional tactical team of veterans who play tough football and win by one goal, but they don't make teams like that anymore.

You may not accept it or like to hear the fact, but we actually have most ingredients for a young and successful team, a new generation, whatever. Greatest keeper on the planet, some young and great players in Chiellini, Sissoko, Diego, Marchisio, Giovinco, Cáceres, (Felipe Melo anyone?) ... and some great veterans like Del Piero, Iaquinta, Camoranesi, Trézéguet, …
Add a couple young defenders (like Ranocchia, Kjær or Criscito), a deep-lying playmaker (can't think of any), a wide attacker (someone in the mold of Cassano or Hamšík although I hate both of them, I like Podolski more to be honest) and you've got a great team with enough depth. And you can be certain the club have enough money each transfer period to reinforce the squad (with some hits and misses) like they did up until now. And they have invested in a new stadium at the same time too. All we need is continuity and a little bit more time.

My list of 5 unforgivable mistakes made by Juve board:

1- Letting go of Deschamps
I still do not know what happened there. Many explanations exist, like differences with Secco over transfer policy (he didn't want Tiago and Almiron?). Personally I believe he wanted to clip the wings of senior players and asked for backing of the board. Anyway and whichever the reason, making him resign was a very big mistake. Either case he was right, Tiago and Almiron were bad signings; and Juve locker room has never been united and behind coach ever since. This team cannot get out of trouble, because coach doesn't have security on the bench anymore, and players can actually slack knowing someone else will get the blame.

2- Buying Tiago
He was bad in Chelsea and bad in Lyon. Buying him was the first of many compromises the board made in transfer market, Sissoko not available, okay buy Tiago instead. Each and every time they later realized the compromise was not good enough and had to buy the main target in another transfer window. As the English say “I don't have enough money to buy cheap.”

3- Letting go of Ranieri
He was actually over-achieving with the team. If the board stayed behind him in that time of trouble, which was the second time they didn't support their coach (first being Deschamps) which I believe have weakened Juventus bench for a long time to come, the team would learn to get out of its problem by hard work and unity. Unless a team does that, and find that unity and character to come back, you have to change coach after every dip in form and you never can have continuity, thus you become :inter:.
I remember once Wenger was offered the bench of Real Madrid after they sacked a couple coaches, he didn't accept, saying that if you change so many coaches and you still lose, maybe your problem is not the coach.

4- Signing Ferrara
They wanted a young, energetic, fresh and attacking side. So what's the best choice? A young and fresh coach. Huge huge mistake there. In that summer we saw van Gaal to Bayern, Delneri to Sampdoria, Ancelotti to Chelsea...
Now it is proven a young coach was not a good idea, but it’s a little late, the damage has been done. Juve bench is no more a stable and steady place, and a coach does not have enough time to build anything worthwhile there. If we bring in a new coach, can we be sure he won't be sacked the first time a dip in form happens? Can anyone (including coach and players) count on continuity? I don't think so. Not anymore. Not after three sackings in four years.
It seems we had a few problems in the locker room too (with Ranieri and Deschamps). Politically, we needed a coach with unquestionable authority to stay for a long time. But we made a gamble and assigned an untested unproven coach. It was a mistake to take a gamble after Ranieri and Deschamps.

5- Letting go of Zanetti
The only thing missing in Juve this year (except a pacey defender) is a midfielder who can dictate the tempo of the play and distribute the ball. We had one; we didn't think it useful and sold it for peanuts. To a rival too. Ferrara was actually stupid enough to tell a host of useful players they are not welcome in his team. Most of them left (like Almirón, Zanetti and eventually the really useless Tiago), but the one who had the guts to stay to prove himself (Poulsen) became very useful indeed. He has been the most consistent Juventus midfielder this season.
I believe they sold Zanetti because they thought at his age he will pick up another injury and miss most of this season too. It was a season-ruining mistake. The only thing that I claim to know about football is that you can never ever have too many midfielders (except Tiago of course).

So, what’s the verdict? Shall we sack Ferrara or not?

Was he any apt coach I would have no doubt to stay with him. If we keep Ciro, I'm sure he can get his team out of this mess and given patience and time create a genuine Champions League challenging side out of it (in two or three years’ time). But if we sack him, the replacement better be a very lucky master and genius (Hiddink?) or this sorry circus will definitely happen next season and everyone will be calling for the poor replacement's head after a couple defeats.

Reviewing this long post I made (which I apologize once more for it), I can conclude not the board nor the coach are to blame. They all made small forgivable and fixable mistakes. I think us the fans are to blame because we cannot accept reality and do not have enough patience for the team to blossom. Look at Milan, this is their second (or third) year rebuilding, and they are still a work in progress.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I disagree with #3. He had to go if we were to make an advance towards the Scudetto. It will take longer now, but we were not getting there any sooner with Ranieri.

I would want to add signing Poulsen (redundant) and Melo (extra redundant).

Jun 11, 2007
I disagree with #3. He had to go if we were to make an advance towards the Scudetto. It will take longer now, but we were not getting there any sooner with Ranieri.

I would want to add signing Poulsen (redundant) and Melo (extra redundant).
Well Ranieri is not a class below Ferrara. You could replace him with a proven winner, but sacking him to bring Ferrara was not a jump in quality IMO. Also, Poulsen is a good squad player. He is not a star but we need the likes of him if we are to challenge for scudetto. As for Melo, well, :snoop:

My argument is this: this constant changing of the coach (trial and error by the board) have destabilized team spirit, and actually made things worse rather than improving them.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
But we all agree that signing Ferrara was foolish, noone knew that sacking Ranieri will mean Ferrara will be our new coach and ruin many things.

I agree that we need promising coach who can lead this team for at least 4-5 years, and I'm afraid that also means that Hiddink is not a good solution than.

P.S. I've red Moggi interview and for the first time I think he is right.

OP
Jul 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #368
    from goal.com but this article explains many things about current misery

Calcio Debate: Juventus Must Sack Jean Claude Blanc & Alessio Secco Or They Will Win Nothing

Juventus’ miseries continued last night as they were crushed 3-0 at home by Milan. Carlo Garganese believes that the club management needs a complete overhaul if the Bianconeri are ever to return to winning major trophies…

Last night I travelled to Turin with a colleague who just happens to support another team that plays in black-and-white – Newcastle United. The evening ended with my friend remarking that “even [the much-maligned Magpies owner] Mike Ashley would do a better job in charge of Juventus than the current bunch of clowns.”

Anyone who has followed English football over the last 15 years will know that Newcastle has become a synonym for bad management. That the northern giants now find themselves competing in the second tier is down to the ineptitude of those running the club. Hundreds of millions of pounds have been wasted on players, managers have been hired and fired like confetti, controversy and in-fighting has followed the club everywhere, culminating in the Mike Ashley era that has just been one gigantic disaster after another. No pun intended with the word gigantic!

Since the Calciopoli scandal of 2006 that ousted Luciano Moggi and his allies, there has been nothing but incompetence at every level among the Juventus management. The key to running a football club is to have the right mixture between football men and businessmen. If you have too many of either, often things don’t work out. At Bayern Munich last season, former star footballers-turned-directors dominated proceedings leading to a miserable campaign. At Juventus, it is the complete opposite – a group of businessmen making footballing decisions.

As Goal.com Italia editor Sergio Stanco explains: “Juventus have a president in Jean Claude Blanc who has never run a football club, and has never been a director or chief executive of a football club.

“The club's owner John Elkann [president of Juve’s holding company Ifil] has never run a club before, while the sporting director Alessio Secco was once just an assistant [to Moggi].

“The structure is built to run a company, not a football team.”

This result of this is that while economically the club is making some good moves – such as the building of a new stadium – numerous mistakes have been made on a footballing level.

Stanco adds: “They have forgotten that a club relates to the classical logic of the transfer market and they have specific mechanisms that need to be well oiled. They have brought back Roberto Bettega, but it's too little, too late.”

One only has to listen to Blanc speak to realise that he understands absolutely nothing about football. While Secco’s movements in the market over the past four years have been nothing short of calamitous. In his first year, the 40-year-old spent in the region of €30m on the following three players: Jean-Alain Boumsong, Tiago Mendes and Sergio Almiron. Last year, as predicted a few months earlier in the popular 'Inter Spy Calcio Comedy', Secco also offered Cristian Molinaro a five-year contract - that really says it all about his capabilities.

Even after last summer, when a number of championed big names were brought to Turin in Diego, Felipe Melo, Fabio Grosso and Fabio Cannavaro, things have not worked out because the management has not constructed a team to blend together.

Moggi was not renowned for signing stars, unlike Inter, but he knew which players would blend in with the system Juventus wanted to play. Were the Tuscan still in charge, even in the aftermath of all the Calciopoli penalties, there is no doubt that the Old Lady would have won at least one more Scudetto.

The money that has been available to spend since the summer of 2007 was more than enough to construct a title-winning team. Moggi even said himself in early 2008: “If I’d been in charge with the transfer budget that was made available last summer, Juventus would now be fighting for the Scudetto.”

We are now two years down the line, and still talking about the same problems with the management.

“The principal issue is the lack of experience on every level,” explains Stanco.

“Ciro Ferrara has never been a football coach. Not even in the youth team sector and he is not able to manage the problems of the play or the trouble inside the dressing room in such a complex club.”

When the players have no respect or trust in the incompetent members above them, they will obviously transfer this onto the pitch. Last night’s humiliating 3-0 home defeat against Milan has all but ended Juventus’ season as they trail Serie A leaders Inter by 12 points and are already out of the Champions League.

There needs to be a complete overhaul and new foundations must be built, starting from the top end of the club. The structure must contain people who actually understand football. Blanc can stay around providing he sticks to economics, Secco can stay so long as he proves he can still make good tea, while Lapo Elkann should be assigned to organising the Christmas and end-of-season parties - providing the ladies are gender-tested upon arrival!

There is little point in changing coach now unless Guus Hiddink arrives because there is no one else on the market. The fact that Ferrara still hasn’t been booted after last night seems to suggest at this stage that a deal has already been done for Marcello Lippi after the World Cup. We will see how things develop over the coming days.

Changes are needed fast or else Juventus will soon become the Newcastle United of Italy, and Mike Ashley will be seen in the stands whipping off his shirt and swinging it around his head to celebrate a Serie B goal.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
    Dec 27, 2005
    Actually article wasn't bad, but it's the story we all know, so nothing new except that in the next weeks we gonna see dozen of theese articles...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Moggi attacks Inter and Juve
    Monday 11 January, 2010

Luciano Moggi has pulled no punches, calling League leaders Inter the best of a bad bunch and attacking Juventus for the way the club is organised.

Appearing on Studio Stadio, no one was safe from Moggi's vitriol, including Inter boss Jose Mourinho.

“The Portuguese is a really lucky person. As a Coach he is little more than an amateur thrown into the fray, just like Inter's President. He's a lot better at public relations,” Moggi said. :lol:

“The Italian championship is already assigned to Inter, who are the least worst of an absolutely mediocre League. The best Italian tacticians have emigrated just like the strongest international players. By now Italian football is in full decline on all fronts.”

He then turned his attention to former club Juventus, who have been engulfed in crisis since early December.

“My Juventus was a perfectly organised club on all fronts. In Europe only Manchester United were superior to us as a whole. The current management is destroying an icon of Italian football. :tup:

“Now, you know, they are looking for wingers so they can play on the flanks? It's ridiculous. Last year they told Nedved: 'We don't need you anymore because we aren't going to play with wingers'.”

Surprisingly the only person Moggi did find time to praise was David Beckham, the former England captain who recently returned to Milan on a six-month loan from LA Galaxy.

“Milan have finally found the right balance. Once again the club has shown its organisation by supporting Leonardo in difficult moments. Beckham's return has been really good. He's an intelligent and pliable footballer,” Moggi concluded.

Football Italia

Like him or not, he's spot on again.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Moggi attacks Inter and Juve
    Monday 11 January, 2010

Luciano Moggi has pulled no punches, calling League leaders Inter the best of a bad bunch and attacking Juventus for the way the club is organised.

Appearing on Studio Stadio, no one was safe from Moggi's vitriol, including Inter boss Jose Mourinho.

“The Portuguese is a really lucky person. As a Coach he is little more than an amateur thrown into the fray, just like Inter's President. He's a lot better at public relations,” Moggi said. :lol:

“The Italian championship is already assigned to Inter, who are the least worst of an absolutely mediocre League. The best Italian tacticians have emigrated just like the strongest international players. By now Italian football is in full decline on all fronts.”

He then turned his attention to former club Juventus, who have been engulfed in crisis since early December.

My Juventus was a perfectly organised club on all fronts. In Europe only Manchester United were superior to us as a whole. The current management is destroying an icon of Italian football. :tup:

“Now, you know, they are looking for wingers so they can play on the flanks? It's ridiculous. Last year they told Nedved: 'We don't need you anymore because we aren't going to play with wingers'.”
    Surprisingly the only person Moggi did find time to praise was David Beckham, the former England captain who recently returned to Milan on a six-month loan from LA Galaxy.

“Milan have finally found the right balance. Once again the club has shown its organisation by supporting Leonardo in difficult moments. Beckham's return has been really good. He's an intelligent and pliable footballer,” Moggi concluded.

Football Italia

Like him or not, he's spot on again.
    FUCKING RIGHT !!!

FORZA MOGGI, AND PLEASE COME BACK !!!!!:flag1:

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    it may be from goaldotcom, but this article is spot fucking on !!

Calcio Debate: Juventus Must Sack Jean Claude Blanc & Alessio Secco Or They Will Win Nothing

Juventus’ miseries continued last night as they were crushed 3-0 at home by Milan. Carlo Garganese believes that the club management needs a complete overhaul if the Bianconeri are ever to return to winning major trophies…
    Jan 11, 2010 2:00:58 PM

Last night I travelled to Turin with a colleague who just happens to support another team that plays in black-and-white – Newcastle United. The evening ended with my friend remarking that “even [the much-maligned Magpies owner] Mike Ashley would do a better job in charge of Juventus than the current bunch of clowns.”

Anyone who has followed English football over the last 15 years will know that Newcastle has become a synonym for bad management. That the northern giants now find themselves competing in the second tier is down to the ineptitude of those running the club. Hundreds of millions of pounds have been wasted on players, managers have been hired and fired like confetti, controversy and in-fighting has followed the club everywhere, culminating in the Mike Ashley era that has just been one gigantic disaster after another. No pun intended with the word gigantic!

Since the Calciopoli scandal of 2006 that ousted Luciano Moggi and his allies, there has been nothing but incompetence at every level among the Juventus management. The key to running a football club is to have the right mixture between football men and businessmen. If you have too many of either, often things don’t work out. At Bayern Munich last season, former star footballers-turned-directors dominated proceedings leading to a miserable campaign. At Juventus, it is the complete opposite – a group of businessmen making footballing decisions.

Incompetent

As Goal.com Italia editor Sergio Stanco explains: “Juventus have a president in Jean Claude Blanc who has never run a football club, and has never been a director or chief executive of a football club.

“The club's owner John Elkann [president of Juve’s holding company Ifil] has never run a club before, while the sporting director Alessio Secco was once just an assistant [to Moggi].

“The structure is built to run a company, not a football team.”

This result of this is that while economically the club is making some good moves – such as the building of a new stadium – numerous mistakes have been made on a footballing level.

Stanco adds: “They have forgotten that a club relates to the classical logic of the transfer market and they have specific mechanisms that need to be well oiled. They have brought back Roberto Bettega, but it's too little, too late.”

One only has to listen to Blanc speak to realise that he understands absolutely nothing about football. While Secco’s movements in the market over the past four years have been nothing short of calamitous. In his first year, the 40-year-old spent in the region of €30m on the following three players: Jean-Alain Boumsong, Tiago Mendes and Sergio Almiron. Last year, as predicted a few months earlier in the popular 'Inter Spy Calcio Comedy', Secco also offered Cristian Molinaro a five-year contract - that really says it all about his capabilities.

Even after last summer, when a number of championed big names were brought to Turin in Diego, Felipe Melo, Fabio Grosso and Fabio Cannavaro, things have not worked out because the management has not constructed a team to blend together.

Incompetent

Moggi was not renowned for signing stars, unlike Inter, but he knew which players would blend in with the system Juventus wanted to play. Were the Tuscan still in charge, even in the aftermath of all the Calciopoli penalties, there is no doubt that the Old Lady would have won at least one more Scudetto.

The money that has been available to spend since the summer of 2007 was more than enough to construct a title-winning team. Moggi even said himself in early 2008: “If I’d been in charge with the transfer budget that was made available last summer, Juventus would now be fighting for the Scudetto.”

We are now two years down the line, and still talking about the same problems with the management.

“The principal issue is the lack of experience on every level,” stresses Stanco.

“Ciro Ferrara has never been a football coach. Not even in the youth team sector and he is not able to manage the problems of the play or the trouble inside the dressing room in such a complex club.”

When the players have no respect or trust in the incompetent members above them, they will obviously transfer this onto the pitch. Last night’s humiliating 3-0 home defeat against Milan has all but ended Juventus’ season as they trail Serie A leaders Inter by 12 points and are already out of the Champions League.

Inexperienced

There needs to be a complete overhaul and new foundations must be built, starting from the top end of the club. The structure must contain people who actually understand football. Blanc can stay around providing he sticks to economics, Secco can stay so long as he proves he can still make good tea, while Lapo Elkann should be assigned to organising the Christmas and end-of-season parties - providing the ladies are gender-tested upon arrival!

There is little point in changing coach now unless Guus Hiddink arrives because there is no one else on the market. The fact that Ferrara still hasn’t been booted after last night seems to suggest at this stage that a deal has already been done for Marcello Lippi after the World Cup. We will see how things develop over the coming days.

Changes are needed fast or else Juventus will soon become the Newcastle United of Italy, and Mike Ashley will be seen in the stands whipping off his shirt and swinging it around his head to celebrate a Serie B goal.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Everyone is so outraged over the appointment of Ciro, but how is that any different from Secco's appointment? The latter had very little experience, only dealt with managing the transaction of team sheets between the club and officials, and has now made tons of blunders at his new position. How's that different, or worse, than Ciro?

Get rid of Secco, Blanc and Ferrara. Get rid of them all.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Everyone is so outraged over the appointment of Ciro, but how is that any different from Secco's appointment? The latter had very little experience, only dealt with managing the transaction of team sheets between the club and officials, and has now made tons of blunders at his new position. How's that different, or worse, than Ciro?

Get rid of Secco, Blanc and Ferrara. Get rid of them all.
    Burn it BURN IT ALL :seven:

I agree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)