Jean-Claude Blanc Thread (2 Viewers)

Jul 2, 2006
Blanc: “A year from now we'll be in the Champions League’s second round”

The end of a year is always a time for assessments, and predictions for the new one. Juventus Managing Director Jean-Claude Blanc did as much too, speaking about 2007 to Juventus Channel: “I wish to compliment the team for this match and the management staff for how they prepared it. This was a good day, shame about AC Milan not being able to stop Inter Milan, but this gives even more value to the draw we got against them. I'd say that game against the Nerazzurri and the draw at Roma are the most memorable moments of the year for me, because they made us realize that we really are competitive. Where do I want to be in one year's time? I'd love to be here commenting our draw in the second round of the Champions League. I'd like to take the chance to send my best Christmas wishes to all our fans; we feel they’re very close to us and we consider them an important part of our project”.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
no doubt we will be in CL next year...the question is what will be the transfer startegy, and will Juve be competitive in all competitions?

pavelnedved

official nedved copy
Jul 15, 2006
it's a good way to kiss the fans' asses mr. blanc, but let's not be arrogant. there's a first round before the second

i like this team's will to achieve more than the used-to-winning arrogance of couple of years ago.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Being in Cl's second round is something we can achieve, of course, but it won't be an easy task. Due to missing out Europe in last 2 seasons we lost a lot of points in UEFA rankings and now the best we can do is being placed in pot 3 in the draw.
That means that we can find ourselves in a group with, lets say, Barcelona and Manchester, Chelsea and Real Madrid, Liverpool and Bayern. It will be tough if we don't have a good draw for the groups.

Here you can see current standings (we're 21st placed at the moment and we can only go down)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2008.html

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
well it's okay. i'm looking forward to knocking out a top seeded english/spanish team. or if milan comes fifth in the league but win CL they would qualify but won't have country protection, so they could end up in our group. imagine us qualifying from a group like:

AC Milan
Sevilla
Juventus
Manchester City

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
Being in Cl's second round is something we can achieve, of course, but it won't be an easy task. Due to missing out Europe in last 2 seasons we lost a lot of points in UEFA rankings and now the best we can do is being placed in pot 3 in the draw.
That means that we can find ourselves in a group with, lets say, Barcelona and Manchester, Chelsea and Real Madrid, Liverpool and Bayern. It will be tough if we don't have a good draw for the groups.

Here you can see current standings (we're 21st placed at the moment and we can only go down)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2008.html
yeh i think it will be hard, but if we bring in the right players and some like VDV and Huntelaar possibly, who knows how well we can do with them??:toast:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
well it's okay. i'm looking forward to knocking out a top seeded english/spanish team. or if milan comes fifth in the league but win CL they would qualify but won't have country protection, so they could end up in our group. imagine us qualifying from a group like:

AC Milan
Sevilla
Juventus
Manchester City
I can't imagine this because we can't find ourselves in the same group with another Italian team and Milan will not play CL if they're fifth, even if they win CL. The new rules say so :D

Anyway, there are still chances Juve to be in pot 2, but for that to happen maximum 1 of these teams : Sevilla, Villareal, Valencia, Werder, and maybe even Schalke, can qualify for next year's CL. If two of them qualify for CL then we're in pot 3.
Most probably we'll be in pot 3. But even if we're in pot 3 we can still find ourselves in a group where Lyon will be the holders and Benfica will come from pot 2. We won't necessarylly get a group of death . Everything will depend on the draw.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
No :D

It's still only a suggestion as it seems.

But there are changes from season 2004/05 when Liverpool won CL. Back then 5 English teams played in CL and Liverpool didn't have country protection.
After that the rules were changed, and UEFA CL regulation 1.03 says that the Champions League winner has a guaranteed place in the groups but if the CL winner qualifies only for UEFA Cup or doesn't qualify at all for UEFA Competitions through the domestic championship then the lowest-ranked club of the ones that should have qualified for CL, will play UEFA instead.

In other words : If Milan are 5th in serie A and they win the CL, then the 4th placed team from serie A will not play CL next year. They'll play in UEFA, while Milan will play CL, they'll will have country protection again and they can't find themselves in the same group with another Italian team.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
and then milan would have another arch rival :D. just imagine if your team finishes 4th and is pulled back like that :howler:
Lol
And imagine if that team is Fiorentina ! They'll be the most unlucky team in the world.
In 2005/06 they finished 4th in serie A but didn't play in CL because of Calciopoli
In 2006/07 they won more points than Lazio and Milan but they had -15 points deducted and they ended 5th
And now imagine them finishing 4th, Milan finishing 5th and Milan winning CL.

Massive suicide in Firenze :lol2:

Dec 26, 2004

AC Milan
Sevilla
Juventus
Manchester City
Even if it was possible I don't think it is a very tough group... I believe we can get pass such group.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)